2013 4CC's Mens FS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC's Mens FS

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm really mad right now. Daisuke was way underscored, I can't even .......:mad:
The quads were two-footed and cheated (probably <<), he did a step out in one triple axel, didn't complete the rotations, fell and (obviously) didn't do the combo in the other one, two-footed and did a step out in the triple lutz, the only clean elements were one 3F (not superb quality,tough), one 3S and one 3Lo, his spins were not really good and I don't overall like this program, almost transitionless and without anything "special", I think that 82 PCS and 140 overall was pretty generous...

starryxskies

On the Ice
All the japanese skaters pretty much did pretty badly in one way or another. I think skating at home is not an easy task. Dai following Reynolds was probably another disadvantage. Reynolds had the upper hand also by following Hanyu, who held the door open for him. I'm just not impressed with these results....Kevin Reynolds as an international champion?!?! He rightfully did it but ughh I'm just so frustrated.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Many many congratulations to Kevin Reynolds!! That's the breakthrough he has been looking for. He will be a major factor at Worlds

Disappointed for Hanyu. Think the pressure of skating in his home country got to him

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Man, why bother working on PCS if the judges hand them out like candy when you land the quad? Patrick Chan's decision this year to work on his expression and artistry at the expense of another quad (and I do genuinely believe it's one or the other for him).

That said, Kevin has never skated that well. I thought the choreography was well constructed (Miyamoto, right?) and he was certainly committed to it. I can't believe he is considered on the same level as Hanyu and Takahashi on their home turf (even though Takahashi bombed, to only beat Reynolds by 6 points total, SP and LP, PCS makes no sense to me), but oh well. Kevin Reynolds won.

What the.......?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the japanese skaters pretty much did pretty badly in one way or another. I think skating at home is not an easy task. Dai following Reynolds was probably another disadvantage. Reynolds had the upper hand also by following Hanyu, who held the door open for him. I'm just not impressed with these results....Kevin Reynolds as an international champion?!?! He rightfully did it but ughh I'm just so frustrated.

Look on the bright side . . . better to wilt at 4CC than at Worlds, right?

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I think it's official: Men's skating has become a Jump Off. You might as well get rid of music, choreography, step sequences, spins, etc. have them all dress in black pants and black turtlenecks, and just see who can do the best jumps.

[I kid, but not by much!}

I disagree somewhat about the Max Aaron criticisms in Regard to the way he was scored. He did complete an impressive array of jumps and spins with speed and security on the quads. The style is very Broadway/stage like to and American show soundtrack. I feel it is still not "senior" world class, it appears to still be more in the form of "junior" world class. He did get 6.5ish On transitions, which is relatively low compared to the 8+ scores the medalists get at Worlds or even the GP. IDK, it seems he was given pretty fair scores.

Jumps have nothing to with the PCS.

There was no style in his movement. He just skated from jump to jump, with some half-arsed arm movements here and there that he didn't even extend properly and that weren't even timed to the music most of the time.

6.5 for TR is ridiculous given that program had hardly any transitions and most of the entries into the jumps were long and telegraphed.

The score was entirely fair - superb performance

Please explain to me. How is giving SS 7.82 to somebody with shallow edges and not a lot of speed fair?

He got the same SS score as Han Yan. :rolleye:

And that's just the tip of the iceberg, let's wait for the protocols.

Trewyn

Medalist
Phew. Felt like the longest competition ever. But maybe I'm just coming down with the flue.
So Kevin Reynoldzzz won. I agree with the Dutch commentators, there's something missing in Reynolds' skating. His jumps are small (which I admit is a strange thing to say considering he landed 3 quads) but there, it's just my impression. Lol at his coach getting all hysterical when he received his scores!
I'm also impressed by Yan. That 3A-3T was the most gorgeous thing in all the competition; huge and great distance. He seriously lacks musicality and personality, but he's young so very promising debut!

hurrah

Medalist
Kevin gave the performance of his life! Who would have thought he'd win the competition, but good for him!!
Too bad about Yuzuru's performance.
And so sad for Daisuke, but besides the jumps, I thought his performance was in a league of his own.
Yan!! I love him! His jumps are like Midori's. I sure hope he won't injure himself with those humongous jumps. Midori broke her ankle twice...

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad to see that in Men competitions only jumps mather, while in the ladies only PCS :(

I am crying right along with John Curry, Robin Cousins, Toller Cranston, Kurt Browning, Alexei Yagudin, Stephane Lambiel, Jeffrey Buttle, Jeremy Abbott, Matt Savoie, and Ryan Jahnke. :cry:

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm so disappointed. This competition was so weird! I'm sad for Daisuke and think he has been punished a lot as the others weren't exactly their best this night either. But one cannot really deny that this just was a disaster for every jump. I just don't know what happened....tiredness and nervousness, I guess. Don't know this whole event left me so unsatisfied. Euros was much better. I want to be positive but it is just so hard right now. Kevin Reynolds - good for him. Technically a class of his own today, that's for sure.

jan

On the Ice
If the Japanese men had only made one or two jumping errors we could have a discussion regarding this but both of them had disastrous free skates. Kevin Reynolds should not be lumped in with Max Aaron as far as PCS discussions go.He has become decent in that department.

So sad to see that in Men competitions only jumps mather, while in the ladies only PCS :(