2013 4CC's Mens FS | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC's Mens FS

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
... These are bizarre results. (Dai! :no: I hope he doesn't lose his confidence for Worlds!)

Really, I don't know what to say, except- wow, the medallists are all so young! I hope that Kevin keeps working on his PCS so that he someday deserves the PCS that he got tonight.

I just- well. Worlds is going to be interesting.

Why should he? As long as he lands the quad, the PCS will follow (see Aaron also)

katia

On the Ice
... I hope that Kevin keeps working on his PCS so that he someday deserves the PCS that he got tonight.
You mean he didn't deserve them? Others did not land their jumps, or did not landed them cleanly.
It seems to me that Reynolds and Chan have much in common --- a lot of people, here, claim that they do not deserve PCS they got. Reynolds, because he is not "artistic" enough, Chan because he is ... well, because he is Chan. YEAH.
Congratulation to Kevin
YAY
He came. He skated. He won.
I am so happy for him .

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Why should he? As long as he lands the quad, the PCS will follow (see Aaron also)

Wishful thinking on my part, I suppose! And katia, I'm not saying that Kevin did not land his jumps cleanly; it's just that i don't think his skating skills or transitions or choreography are that amazing. He's decent in those compartments, but he is no Patrick Chan (who, I believe, does deserve high PCS for SS and TR, and especially for CH and IN this season!).

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Kevin got very lucky with the tech calls. The 4S should have been called as <, with that very pre-rotated entrance he has into it. All of his other jumps were borderline, so while perhaps no other < calls were deserved, they definitely shouldn't be getting as much GOE as they did because you can see the stilted landings on the ice and he doesn't jump big.

Last edited:

figuristka

Medalist
I fell asleep before the last group but woke up to a surprise. Congrats to Kevin. He has improved so much and 3 quads wow. It was wonderful to see his face so happy after he won. I still don't find his skating in the same league as Chan, Takahashi, and Hanyu when they skate quite well. They have power, speed, finesse, a combination which makes their skating very special. Still what Kevin did is a great achievement.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Very true. But he lands them, others don't.:p

Yep, at the moment he's landing them. More power to Kevin vs the Goliaths. ;)

And, btw, it's not quite true that "others don't." Lots of guys are landing quads these days besides Kevin Reynolds.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thinking the 2008-2010 season I m really curious where all these quads were hidden, from quad or not quad era to 2 or three quads, it seems like there was a gap until the invasion of the new skaters who began to learn skating completely under CoP. Now I have lost count how many skaters have a quad in sp and lp.

Yes...but...it would have been even better if he hadn't spent the first minute doing nothing except stalking his first two big jumping passes, banking the points, before beginning the actual program.

[Edited to add]: Let me expand on that a little .:) If you look at Fadeev's jumps, they are part of the choreography. A major part. Not so with Lambiel's. Plus, Lambiel's CoP spins were markedly worse than his pre-CoP spins. I would almost say that Lambiel is the poster boy for how the CoP affected skating, and not for the better.

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist

:rofl: Bring back the 80s! :laugh: Well, there's the camera angle I spoke about, plus Fadeev was sporting some red accents and a deep shade of white, even tho' the pants appeared to be somewhat transparent around the crotch area making the white jock strap quite visible. Still it was the close-up camera shot that allowed our attention to stray, or to focus. :p

Mathman's attention didn't stray ... You make an excellent point, Mathman!

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That happened under 6.0 anyway. Lambiel's program is actually one where there are interesting movements before the jumps, though. The build-up pays off. He's also one of the very few who can do the CoP spins without them hurting the program.

Art&Sport

Medalist

Awww, I love me some Lamby ... Such creativity and he's a sweetheart to boot. Of his generation, Lambiel's my fave after Johnny Weir.

But let me just say something I've mentioned before: The best of what we see the Little Prince doing in the vid is in spite of CoP, not because of it, believe me. It's coming from Lambiel's genius. And I dare say that Stephane Lambiel would have been an even greater and surely a more technically consistent skater had he performed in the 80s and had to practice figures.

And bejaysus wouldn't it have been cool to see Lamby sitting in the kiss 'n cry receiving a string of 6.0s! The very thought warms the cockles of my sad figure skating lovin' heart.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Yes...but...it would have been even better if he hadn't spent the first minute doing nothing except stalking his first two big jumping passes, banking the points, before beginning the actual program.

[Edited to add]: Let me expand on that a little .:) If you look at Fadeev's jumps, they are part of the choreography. A major part. Not so with Lambiel's. Plus, Lambiel's CoP spins were markedly worse than his pre-CoP spins. I would almost say that Lambiel is the poster boy for how the CoP affected skating, and not for the better.

I could list off dozens of COP programs that I absolutely adore and think that COP is instrumental in their brilliance. You'd point out they have no soul. I'd disagree. You'd list of the amazing 6.0 programs that made and confirm you as a fan of the sport. I'd find them epically boring. And thus, the world continues to turn.

That stated, I'm interesting in this 6.0 universe where skaters never stalked jumps the way you criticize Lambiel for doing. And I'd definitely wonder why you hate transitions before jumps if you don't like long(er/ish) setups.

Moment

Final Flight
Lol using this thread to complain how CoP is so bad. It's not the scoring system's fault it was a lackluster competiton and medal favorites bombed/gave lackluster performances.

I agree with most 6.0 programs being epically zzz, btw. At least I can enjoy figure skating as a real sport now.

Art&Sport

Medalist
... At least I can enjoy figure skating as a real sport now.

Ah, then you don't realize that figure skating is Sport and Art. At it's essence it is both. There's something of art in a lot of sports, but in figure skating it is essential and inseparable. That's how figure skating developed. Otherwise, you may as well go watch speed skating. Or simply take away the music, the choreo, the costumes, and the moves in the field and have a jumping on ice contest (and/ or a spinning contest). Whoever jumps the highest and the farthest, with the most revolutions, and lands on one skate blade with no URs and no two-footing, turn-outs, fall outs, and hands-down wins. Nothing subjective about that.