2013 4CC's Mens FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2013 4CC's Mens FS

jamie

On the Ice
3 things came to mind when I saw the results

-> WOW you never know with COP
-> Takahashi will be low in confidence at worlds
-> Kozuka and Oda wuzrobbed by the federation who have been intent on supporting Mura all season.

jamie

On the Ice
Why don't you watch his skate before you post and then comment on specific details :)

He was a little slow and the flip and lutz lacked height for me, but - he clearly destroyed the others tonight. Quite detailed CH and very seamless program that's MY opinion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So Dornbush has now beaten Miner by almost 20 points in a major international competition, yet it's the latter that is going to Worlds...

And chances are Miner will come back and do just fine at Worlds. I'm not surprised Miner did poorly here. Better to get the bugs out now at 4CC and peak at Worlds.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan who? Ah, is this perhaps the biggest upset in figure skating history? Someone said 80 for pcs and guesss what 80 on the button and really guys while he is not Dai or Chan he has really upped his level of skating sure it helps when you skate clean and fairly fast.. give him credit but did he peak too soon? I am wondering if thejudges will give him alittle more credit because sometimes I feel he gets undermarked. Skate Canada must be thrilled; still a shocker - great job by Max aaron but really this is a momen tin history bigger than Liz Manley's oly silver or Maria Butyrskaya's or Kimmie Meissner's world titles. Just a shocker - Canada was hoping he would be in the top ten or eight at worlds. Yes, the big guns fell but still.

Reynolds always had potential , looks like Chan isn't a guaranteed and lock gold even if its in Canada
he's not even guaranteed a podium right now. the men's have up their TES and even his pcs cushion is not that high now

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thumbs up to the idea of all skaters wearing black pants and black turtlenecks.

Unlike the original post, this is not written tongue-in-cheek.

:laugh:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
-> Takahashi will be low in confidence at worlds
-> Kozuka and Oda wuzrobbed by the federation who have been intent on supporting Mura all season.

Don't say that! :(
Anyway, concerning Mura I don't think he was having the worst outing ever. Compared to the horror of his team mates he was decent! We'll never know what would have happened with Kozuka (isn't he injured anyway?) or Oda. Those two have a history of bombing as well, so we wouldn't know. I hate this "wuzrobbed" idea. He earned his bronze at Nationals. It's not his fault the others didn't deliver, when he did.

@seniorita
I watched it on ESP and I won't watch it again. It wasn't a good competition. I wouldn't recommend it. Watch the Ladies SP instead, that was fun.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^I saw few vids, well, that was a big surprise. Imagine if this was Worlds or Olys. :popcorn:
I still dont like Kevin's skate, he looks sloppy and very slow. As always strange position of the head at the take offs. But he must be in heaven and he beat them all so well done. :clap:
Hanyu looks sloppy in the lp too, sth in his posture dont go with this program well, it suits perfectly in the sp but in the lp his arms are lose and his shoulders very rounded, he also didnt have any stretch or extention in his moves, I m surprised Orser hasnt pointed it out to him. I love the cool set up to the quad toe though, like it is a walk in the park:biggrin: He and Han Yan will be biggest rivals after Sochi!
I wish Daisuke would go back to last year programs or any pasts programs, he is much better than this program.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Hanyu looks sloppy in the lp too, sth in his posture dont go with this program well, it suits perfectly in the sp but in the lp his arms are lose and his shoulders very rounded, he also didnt have any stretch or extention in his moves, I m surprised Orser hasnt pointed it out to him.
Hanyu should learn English and start reading Goldenskate instead of listening to Orser.

artsciboy

On the Ice
Was Hanyu ill?

His FS performance seemed really sluggish and didn't have his usual fire.

I just thought it was great that he wasn't flopping around the ice after this skate. I guess he only saves those dramatics for a good skate.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Hanyu should learn English and start reading Goldenskate instead of listening to Orser.

:rofl: Honestly I wonder if the skaters sometimes google themselves or read discussion boards. I would do it. Probably once and then never return again.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
:rofl: Honestly I wonder if the skaters sometimes google themselves or read discussion boards. I would do it. Probably once and then never return again.

Skaters do read the boards. As do their parents. I have had to caution more than one parent to ignore what was written about their child.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Such a lot of sour grapes from some of you. Congratulations to Kevin for sticking with it & Congratulations to the young Americans! The Yanks are coming back!

Maybe we are reeling from the sour grapes that must have been rolling around invisibly on the ice tripping up many of the guys in this competition. :sarcasm:

As to the "young Americans," Max is 21, Ross is 22, and Dornbush is 21 (to be 22 later this summer). All good ages I suppose to try for 2014 Olympics and then maybe still have an opportunity to try for 2018 Olympics. The really "youngest Americans" with talent who are eyeing a spot at Olympics and Worlds in the future, include Joshua Farris and Jason Brown (both 18). A great group of young skaters. But I'm sure Jeremy and Adam, and other U.S. guys will still be in the mix next year.

As far as, "The Yanks are coming back!" IMHO, they never really went anywhere (a U.S. American male is still the defending Olympic champion, believe it or not). ;) To my mind, in recent years for the U.S. Americans, it's been a combination of being dissed by judges for decent programs, lagging behind a bit in quads, and not putting out their absolute best technically in the big moments. Max has served notice that he can jump, and we'll see where the judges will decide to slot him on PCS at Worlds.

Last edited:

Icey

Record Breaker
IMO The current pecking order will be quite different by the time Sochi arrives. Some of the "oldies" have remained stagnant and risk being by passed by some of the new exciting talent. A lot can change in a year. That is, of course, not true for every Olympics, but the timing seems right for this one.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Lot's of mistakes from the favorites and skaters in the last group. I'm not worried about Yusuru, he is young, but a bit for Daisuke losing his confidence. Anyway I see more potential here than at Euros. I predict one Euro guy among top five at world's, and that will be Javier.

Kevin grabbed his chance. I'm so impressed and happy for him. All his work at last results in a surprising GOLD :clap: :yay:

The Japanese audience was wonderful and supporting to all skaters. And they almost treated the winner as if he were one of their own :laugh:

He and Han Yan will be biggest rivals after Sochi!

Or in Sochi :biggrin:

Icey

Record Breaker
Skaters do read the boards. As do their parents. I have had to caution more than one parent to ignore what was written about their child.

Maybe every board ought to have a warning for skaters and their Parents: Proceed at your own peril!!!! lol

Art&Sport

Medalist
IMO The current pecking order will be quite different by the time Sochi arrives. Some of the "oldies" have remained stagnant and risk being by passed by some of the new exciting talent. A lot can change in a year. That is, of course, not true for every Olympics, but the timing seems right for this one.

Uhhh, the sport might have remained "stagnant," but please don't say that about the older skaters who are wearing their bodies out trying to keep up with the ridiculous physical demands the sport requires these days. These younger guys could learn a lot about artistry from watching Dai Takahashi, Jeremy Abbott, Stephane Lambiel and Jeffrey Buttle. Dai's decision to go back to Morosov has simply not worked out for him. And I still say it's a disgrace that the ISU judges were clearly too stupid to properly reward Dai Takahashi at Worlds last year for programs that were artistically masterful and had all the jumps too.

As far as "exciting" new talent: IMHO Han, Nan, Hanyu, Kevin and Aaron & Ross would benefit from a Toller Cranston, John Curry, Robin Cousins, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning tutorial and workshop. What guys are doing on the ice today might be thrills, chills and spills in regard to jumps, but not much else. BTW, Kevin Reynolds is still young but he's not a fresh new face or exciting new talent. Kudos to Kevin Reynolds on his personal victory and I hope he gets a new short program for the Olympic year (cuz while that program is actually kinda perfect for him, he needs something fresher and less "stagnant" to do battle next season ... at least in my lowly estimation).

ETA:
As far as "current pecking order," as I said in my initial reaction post to the mens fp at 4CC, it's highly possible that the "existing pecking order" re Hanyu, Chan, Daisuke, or some variation without Daisuke which could include European champion, Fernandez, might be re-conformed and confirmed at Worlds (hopefully Han will be sent to Junior Worlds for the time being so he can develop further -- he needs to come back next season with better programs). I'd be surprised if Kevin makes the Worlds podium, but if he lands 4 quads again with clean programs, and the top guys stumble, all bets are off. I doubt both of those situations will occur again simultaneously. True that the Olympics is still a Worlds away in Sochi, where the Russian fed is grooming Kovtun to make the podium, and a pieced together Plushenko may limp out on invisible crutches.

Last edited:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Congratulations to Kevin and Han Yan!

Good job Max!

So happy to see the new blood getting recognized! Well, Kevin is not new but his attack and improvement in artistry is quite refreshing.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Uhhh, the sport might have remained "stagnant," but please don't say that about the older skaters who are wearing their bodies out trying to keep up with the ridiculous physical demands the sport requires these days. These younger guys could learn a lot about artistry from watching Dai Takahashi, Jeremy Abbott, Stephane Lambiel and Jeffrey Buttle. Dai's decision to go back to Morosov has simply not worked out for him. And I still say it's a disgrace that the ISU judges were clearly too stupid to properly reward Dai Takahashi at Worlds last year for programs that were artistically masterful and had all the jumps too.

As far as "exciting" new talent: IMHO Han, Nan, Hanyu, Kevin and Aaron & Ross would benefit from a Toller Cranston, John Curry, Robin Cousins, Paul Wylie, Kurt Browning tutorial and workshop. What guys are doing on the ice today might be thrills, chills and spills in regard to jumps, but not much else. BTW, Kevin Reynolds is still young but he's not a fresh new face or exciting new talent. Kudos to Kevin Reynolds on his personal victory and I hope he gets a new short program for the Olympic year (cuz while that program is actually kinda perfect for him, he needs something fresher and less "stagnant" to do battle next season ... at least in my lowly estimation).

Agree. 4CC shows that the quad beats all-forget artistry, interpretation, edge/blade skills. might as well send the guys out without music to do as many tricks as they can in a specified time. The beauty, the soul, the wonder, the magic of men's skating----dead.