Thread: Timing of Championships

Hybrid View

Outdated Old Dinosaur

Timing of Championships

I find it interesting that Canada and US Championships were held much later than other major powers. It was a very quick turn-around between Nationals and 4CC.

Of course, Europeans were held much earlier than 4CC, so the gap for those skaters may have been very little, too.

I would think that US and Canada would give their skaters a longer respite between their Nationals and 4CC. Really, there's not much time in between for rest, not to mention that there is little time to consider judges feedback and to adjust the elements/programs if needed.

Wasn't Europeans wrapped up before the North American Nationals?

I'm not sure if this is the standard or not. Can someone educate me, please?

Euros were held on the same weekend as US nationals I believe. Canada and US give their skaters a little more time after the GP series/final (if they make it). Japan nationals were held late December, I think maybe 2 weeks from GPF.

I think there are pros and cons... the US/Canada give skaters more polish time after the GP series to digest international feedback and make any changes necessary in order to get on the world team. You have to get on the team before you can even consider 4CC and worlds right?

Perhaps maybe Euros/4CC and Worlds all happen too early.

Custom Title
    I agree that Euros/4CCs could be scheduled a bit later. USFSA is likely scheduling Nats for optimum television/media exposure. Notice that for several years now it has been on the off weekend between the final round of NFL playoffs and the Super Bowl. Earlier in January and they would be up against NFL broadcasts--granted they don't likely have the same audience, but there may be enough overlap and a hesitancy from NBC to be up against it with figure skating. Go back to December and it would run into college football, holiday specials, and the holidays themselves.

Custom Title
    USA has a 3-tier qualifying process for the part of the competition field that isn't receiving automatic byes: Regionals, Sectionals, then Nationals. By the time you figure in Thanksgiving and Christmas-New Year holiday seasons, there isn't any time left to hold US Nationals before the end of the year. Regardless of what other sports are out there, or the TV schedule. IIRC, in the 1990's, the start of US Nationals was anywhere from the first week of January (Olympic years) to first half of February. So current time slot isn't some sort of aberration. Also remember the 4CC is a relative Newbie imposed by the ISU, it's only been around for 14 years. Euros scheduling had never been a problem since obviously North Americans weren't part of the field. IMO, 4CC is too early, but I'm sure the ISU wants to keep it scheduled this way to avoid having to bounce it around the calendar during Olympic years.

Perhaps we need an extra month of winter added to calendar to get it all in.
    Last edited by bigsisjiejie; 02-09-2013 at 12:30 PM.

To expand on what bigsisjiejie said...

Historically, the United States National Championship has been a big deal to USFS. Sometimes in the past it was held after Worlds or the Olympics. Four Continents, on the other hand -- until recently the problem was in finding some second tier U.S. skaters who were willing to go.

Even now, Canadian men's champ Patrick Chan and U.S. ladies' champ Ashley Wagner decided to give it a miss.

Custom Title
    Note that next year, in the Olympics year, US Nationals will be held earlier: Jan 5-14, 2014.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Four Continents, on the other hand -- until recently the problem was in finding some second tier U.S. skaters who were willing to go.

Even now, Canadian men's champ Patrick Chan and U.S. ladies' champ Ashley Wagner decided to give it a miss.
    I think it has a lot to do with the location. Skaters can easily travel to compete at the Euros but many competitors have to do trans Pacific flying to participate in 4CC. Jet lag is wearing and will also cut into top tier skaters' training time for Worlds soon after. Skaters are more likely to want to compete when the event is held at their home continent.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ true since I cant remember skaters skipping Euros for Worlds. Euros has a long history, 4CC is relative new, so it needs time. If USA Nationals and Canadian Nationals were a bit earlier, 4CC wouldnt have been a problem. In Olympics season it is an issue always though while Euros are not skipped.

OT but Russian Nationals during Christmas is a tradition too, I dont know why they have nationals then but they used to have all sort of christmas trees in knc in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Historically, the United States National Championship has been a big deal to USFS. Sometimes in the past it was held after Worlds or the Olympics.
    So how was the team selected then?