Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Tonya Harding should become commentator.

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Tonya Harding should become commentator.

    This would be a great way for IceNetwork to sell subscriptions and drum up interest for the sport in an Olympic year. After all, figure skating would be deader than it already is without the spike in popularity in the 90s that resulted from Tonya and Nancy. Tonya was a great skater and a hot mess....everything we hold near and dear. Fans would flock to this sport if Tonya Harding were to come back into the limelight.

    Obviously USFS is much to prudish to ever approve this, but it's fun to think about anyway.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,930
    I wonder if Harding follows skating these days. What a sad waste of raw talent.

  3. #3
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I wonder if Harding follows skating these days. What a sad waste of raw talent.
    Yes Tonya still follows figure skating. She's a fan of the athletic Japanese skater like Asada. Since the rise of Gracie Gold who's P.R. people have been plugging her as the "Next Tonya Harding" she has gotten mentioned. I think it is a shame that Tonya's legacy is reduced to a joke.

  4. #4
    Custom Title ks777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,059
    I watch Tonya on TruTV's worlds dumbest.. a lot but she never been funny nor entertaining. I really enjoy Nancy Kerrigan's commentary.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,011
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyaHardlyEver View Post
    Yes Tonya still follows figure skating. She's a fan of the athletic Japanese skater like Asada. Since the rise of Gracie Gold who's P.R. people have been plugging her as the "Next Tonya Harding" she has gotten mentioned. I think it is a shame that Tonya's legacy is reduced to a joke.
    And what exactly is Harding's legacy to be praised? She had plenty of talent, but was lazy, wouldn't listen to her coaches, and was not too bright and carried a chip on her shoulder throughout her career. I covered her career for years and was in Detroit in the Press Room during the infamous knee clubbing incident.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,493
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    And what exactly is Harding's legacy to be praised? She had plenty of talent, but was lazy, wouldn't listen to her coaches, and was not too bright and carried a chip on her shoulder throughout her career. I covered her career for years and was in Detroit in the Press Room during the infamous knee clubbing incident.
    I'd never feel comfortable watching her commentate on any skating. I'm sorry, but the skating world has no place for her. As KKonas points out, it wasn't just what happened to Nancy. Tonya was not a dedicated skater by any means. If we want an American commentator with a triple axel, we should see to it that Kimmie Meissner receives training as a broadcaster.

  7. #7
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd never feel comfortable watching her commentate on any skating. I'm sorry, but the skating world has no place for her. As KKonas points out, it wasn't just what happened to Nancy. Tonya was not a dedicated skater by any means. If we want an American commentator with a triple axel, we should see to it that Kimmie Meissner receives training as a broadcaster.
    It wasn't that she had a triple axel it was the fact that she was the second woman to complete one. Kimmie's triple axel was a joke. We still haven't had an American woman land one properly since Harding. NOTHING will take that away from her. She didn't need to off the competition to win a silver medal at Worlds in 1991. Considering the odds stacked against her. Let's not try to strip her of her raw talent just because she made a huge mistake and was lax in her training at times.

  8. #8
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd never feel comfortable watching her commentate on any skating. I'm sorry, but the skating world has no place for her. As KKonas points out, it wasn't just what happened to Nancy.
    But then again, yeah, it was.

    Even if you are Janet Lynn, Dorothy Hamill, and Michelle Kwan rolled into one, complicity in a criminal plot to assault and disable a fellow competitor -- you have to draw a line, no matter how many years pass.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,029
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    And what exactly is Harding's legacy to be praised? She had plenty of talent, but was lazy, wouldn't listen to her coaches, and was not too bright and carried a chip on her shoulder throughout her career. I covered her career for years and was in Detroit in the Press Room during the infamous knee clubbing incident.
    I have to agree. I never enjoyed watching Tonya skate because I was always waiting for a costume mishap or a broken shoe lace or some other kind of drama. She may have had mad talent but I never saw grace or smoothness in her skating - just big jumps! It is such a shame that someone with any talent falls along the side because of poor personal choices and maybe even poor guidance. I thought BackyardBarbie was kidding when she posted that idea.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    This would be a great way for IceNetwork to sell subscriptions and drum up interest for the sport in an Olympic year. After all, figure skating would be deader than it already is without the spike in popularity in the 90s that resulted from Tonya and Nancy. Tonya was a great skater and a hot mess....everything we hold near and dear. Fans would flock to this sport if Tonya Harding were to come back into the limelight.

    Obviously USFS is much to prudish to ever approve this, but it's fun to think about anyway.
    LOL, especially if they let her say exactly--and I mean exactly--what was on her mind. LOL!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •