Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tonya Harding should become commentator.

Tonya Harding should become commentator.

This would be a great way for IceNetwork to sell subscriptions and drum up interest for the sport in an Olympic year. After all, figure skating would be deader than it already is without the spike in popularity in the 90s that resulted from Tonya and Nancy. Tonya was a great skater and a hot mess....everything we hold near and dear. Fans would flock to this sport if Tonya Harding were to come back into the limelight.

Obviously USFS is much to prudish to ever approve this, but it's fun to think about anyway.

Custom Title
    I wonder if Harding follows skating these days. What a sad waste of raw talent.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BackStage Barbie View Post
    This would be a great way for IceNetwork to sell subscriptions and drum up interest for the sport in an Olympic year. After all, figure skating would be deader than it already is without the spike in popularity in the 90s that resulted from Tonya and Nancy. Tonya was a great skater and a hot mess....everything we hold near and dear. Fans would flock to this sport if Tonya Harding were to come back into the limelight.

Obviously USFS is much to prudish to ever approve this, but it's fun to think about anyway.
    LOL, especially if they let her say exactly--and I mean exactly--what was on her mind. LOL!

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    I wonder if Harding follows skating these days. What a sad waste of raw talent.
    Yes Tonya still follows figure skating. She's a fan of the athletic Japanese skater like Asada. Since the rise of Gracie Gold who's P.R. people have been plugging her as the "Next Tonya Harding" she has gotten mentioned. I think it is a shame that Tonya's legacy is reduced to a joke.

I watch Tonya on TruTV's worlds dumbest.. a lot but she never been funny nor entertaining. I really enjoy Nancy Kerrigan's commentary.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyaHardlyEver View Post
    Yes Tonya still follows figure skating. She's a fan of the athletic Japanese skater like Asada. Since the rise of Gracie Gold who's P.R. people have been plugging her as the "Next Tonya Harding" she has gotten mentioned. I think it is a shame that Tonya's legacy is reduced to a joke.
    And what exactly is Harding's legacy to be praised? She had plenty of talent, but was lazy, wouldn't listen to her coaches, and was not too bright and carried a chip on her shoulder throughout her career. I covered her career for years and was in Detroit in the Press Room during the infamous knee clubbing incident.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    And what exactly is Harding's legacy to be praised? She had plenty of talent, but was lazy, wouldn't listen to her coaches, and was not too bright and carried a chip on her shoulder throughout her career. I covered her career for years and was in Detroit in the Press Room during the infamous knee clubbing incident.
    I'd never feel comfortable watching her commentate on any skating. I'm sorry, but the skating world has no place for her. As KKonas points out, it wasn't just what happened to Nancy. Tonya was not a dedicated skater by any means. If we want an American commentator with a triple axel, we should see to it that Kimmie Meissner receives training as a broadcaster.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd never feel comfortable watching her commentate on any skating. I'm sorry, but the skating world has no place for her. As KKonas points out, it wasn't just what happened to Nancy. Tonya was not a dedicated skater by any means. If we want an American commentator with a triple axel, we should see to it that Kimmie Meissner receives training as a broadcaster.
    It wasn't that she had a triple axel it was the fact that she was the second woman to complete one. Kimmie's triple axel was a joke. We still haven't had an American woman land one properly since Harding. NOTHING will take that away from her. She didn't need to off the competition to win a silver medal at Worlds in 1991. Considering the odds stacked against her. Let's not try to strip her of her raw talent just because she made a huge mistake and was lax in her training at times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I have to agree. I never enjoyed watching Tonya skate because I was always waiting for a costume mishap or a broken shoe lace or some other kind of drama. She may have had mad talent but I never saw grace or smoothness in her skating - just big jumps! It is such a shame that someone with any talent falls along the side because of poor personal choices and maybe even poor guidance. I thought BackyardBarbie was kidding when she posted that idea.

Tonya's tragic flaw was her judgment in men.

I think we should hire Ludmila Nelidina. I saw her do this, right in front of me, in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsUAJLe16RM

Custom Title
    Actually, I'd love to hear Alexei Mishin commentate. He's done so in a few shows and he's been quite insightful, and always respectful. (He once called Alexander Abt "a shining star born too early, or too late...").

...maybe not at US Nationals though.

Although the level of would be hilarious.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Me for Tamara Moskvina! Do any of you remember the segments she had in the after show for the 2006 Olympics

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Tonya's tragic flaw was her judgment in men.

I think we should hire Ludmila Nelidina. I saw her do this, right in front of me, in 2002.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsUAJLe16RM
    I was there as well. Yukari Nakano also did a 3Axel there. Nelidina was a one day wonder. We never really heard much from her after that performance.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Me for Tamara Moskvina! Do any of you remember the segments she had in the after show for the 2006 Olympics
    Moskvina is a great storyteller. She would be quite entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Actually, I'd love to hear Alexei Mishin commentate. He's done so in a few shows and he's been quite insightful, and always respectful. (He once called Alexander Abt "a shining star born too early, or too late...").

...maybe not at US Nationals though.

Although the level of would be hilarious.
    Actually, I believe Mishin commentated on one of the Russian channels the 2010 Vancouver ice dance programs. Can't remember for sure, it was either the compulsory or original dance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast