2013 4CCs Pairs FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 4CCs Pairs FS

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Dylan MOSCOVITCH They should win. They had a really nice set of 3toes in sequence and an excellent performance.

Too bad. I guess they couldn't quite make up the point difference from short.

That's it for me. The other competitions are too late.

Last edited:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
26 points separated silver from bronze in the end; just 2.4 separated gold and silver. D/R win overall, Mt/M win the free program (they actually had a bigger gap on PCS). Worlds will definitely be interesting.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
26 points separated silver from bronze in the end; just 2.4 separated gold and silver. D/R win overall, Mt/M win the free program (they actually had a bigger gap on PCS). Worlds will definitely be interesting.

Actually 29 points, I think. The U. S. Skaters need to work on difficulty. The free programs were performed well but the elements were significantly easier - especially the jumps.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
oops. right, of course. Pretty big gap.

The state of pairs world wide is a bit worrying right now.

figuristka

Medalist
Shame i arrived too late to see D/R but really enjoyed M/M . Except for the fall on the 3 loop , it was a great skate. They are very different teams and always end up so close in points. Both have a chance at World for perhaps a bronze at least. Canada is lucky to have 2 strong pairs teams.

herios

Medalist
This is a huge score for Kirsten and Dylan. They just improved on their best LP result with more than 10 points!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Felicia ZHANG / Nathan BARTHOLOMAY Nicest performance so far - thanks to Felicia's lovely smile and obvious enjoyment of skating.

Well said, AHB. :thumbsup: Thanks for all your updates.
I will be rooting for Zhang/Bartholomay next season. :)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Ugh, my stream for some reason blipped during D/R and I missed half the performance. I did enjoy C/S and MT/M though. I think Canada can get three spots for the Olympics at Worlds!!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Ugh, my stream for some reason blipped during D/R and I missed half the performance. I did enjoy C/S and MT/M though. I think Canada can get three spots for the Olympics at Worlds!!

At this point, it would be a surprise for them not to. The way they're being scored and have been skating, top seven is VERY reasonable for both. They are 4th and 5th in the SB list.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Can anyone tell me if Zhang/Bartolomay's scores are enough to meet the minimum standard? It would be nice if they could get that requirement out of the way.

herios

Medalist
At this point, it would be a surprise for them not to. The way they're being scored and have been skating, top seven is VERY reasonable for both. They are 4th and 5th in the SB list.

If they skate in London like here, no question will be getting an extra spot for Canada.
This year is a great opportunity for them considering the injuries of the top chinese teams, also B/L and the top american team.
When you get such an opening, you better march through it!

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
If they skate in London like here, no question will be getting an extra spot for Canada.
This year is a great opportunity for them considering the injuries of the top chinese teams, also B/L and the top american team.
When you get such an opening, you better march through it!

Additionally the break-up of T/T. The pairs field is essentially decimated.

Gold is locked to V/T. Silver will go to S/S. Bronze is gonna be a fight between P/T, B/L, D/R and arguably Mt/M.

herios

Medalist
Additionally the break-up of T/T. The pairs field is essentially decimated.

Gold is locked to V/T. Silver will go to S/S. Bronze is gonna be a fight between P/T, B/L, D/R and arguably Mt/M.

Yes, you are right. I forgot about T/T. They are now history anyways:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Can anyone tell me if Zhang/Bartolomay's scores are enough to meet the minimum standard? It would be nice if they could get that requirement out of the way.

As far as I can tell, Zhang/Bartholomay have exceeded the minimum scores for 2013 Worlds by healthy margins. :)
(Question: Is it not possible that the ISU will set new minimums for the Olympics and for 2014 Worlds? Hopefully Z/B's scores already are high enough to keep them above any new minimums. They might be cutting it close for the SP.)

Minimum Total Technical Scores for Pairs:
- SP 24.00 points (changed from 28.00)
- FS 41.00 points (changed from 45.00)
http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4235

Zhang/Bartholomay
- SP 29.60 http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2013/SEG005.HTM
- FS 61.27 http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2013/SEG006.HTM

Mao88

Record Breaker
PAIRS FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Meagan DUHAMEL & Eric RADFORD (CAN) - 199.18 Free Skate
2. Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS & Dylan MOSCOVITCH (CAN) - 196.78 Free Skate
3. Marissa CASTELLI & Simon SHNAPIR (USA) - 170.10 Free Skate
4. Felicia ZHANG & Nathan BARTHOLOMAY (USA) - 167.30 Free Skate
5. Cheng PENG & Hao ZHANG (CHN) - 164.82 Free Skate
6. Paige LAWRENCE & Rudi SWIEGERS (CAN) - 162.30 Free Skate
7. Wenting WANG & Yan ZHANG (CHN) - 145.56 Free Skate

Last edited:
The judges really were on crack giving M-T/M PCS 2.5 points higher than to D/R.

M-T/M skated with a lot of power, yes, but their program was quite empty and they don't have the polish that D/R managed to acquire. D/R had much more complex choreography and a program with a lot of detail in it, presented beautifully.

I understand that M-T/M really gave it 110% and had this "WOW effect" but the judges should be able to see beyond that and judge PCS appopriately.

I also think that Castelli/Shnapir were overmarked both on the GOE and the PCS. I was very surprised that Zhang/Bartolomay didn't manage to beat them in the FS at least.

I'd also have Lawrence/Swiegers further ahead of Pang/Zhang in the FS. They skated beautifully, good flow, quite elegant. P/Z, on the other hand, were a hot mess. Yeah 4twist was great but they didn't even pretend to skate to the music and it looked like she was being dragged across the ice by him.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I understand that M-T/M really gave it 110% and had this "WOW effect" but the judges should be able to see beyond that and judge PCS appopriately.

In fairness, the judges only should be able to see beyond that. They've demonstrated time and time again that the wow factor, whether it be quads, hip thrusts, or loud music, will make PCS skyrocket. I just think we need to lower our expectations a bit.

That said, I'm more impressed that Mt/M actually have that wow effect now. When we first saw this program, I didn't think they'd be able to truly fill an arena with it, and they've done so.

icebeauty

On the Ice
i'm glad that some of you share my opinion about pairs world-wide being a complete mess this season (minus V/T and S/S)

I'm actually really excited for the Zhang/Bartolomay partnership. The improved so much this season, and 4CC was a great experience for them...i'm excited to see what they do next season and beyond. Their programs lack intricacies and true difficulty right now, but what they are doing, is really good. as long as they stay together and don't rush towards success i think they could be a very good team.
Castelli/Schnapir are always fun to watch, and their lifts are gorgeous, but consistency and not having the best international track-record is an issue for them...we all know at this point that they have harder technical elements that they can do, but until they stop making small/silly mistakes, it's still not enough.

I always respect Duhamel/Radford for going for the hard stuff (and when they hit the lutzs it's always a reminder of what other pairs teams AREN'T doing), but i just don't find them interesting, and at times they look sloppy. obviously they benefit from the TES boost if they hit, and there's a maturity in their skating that isn't over-wrought...but i feel a little bit ho-hum when I watch them...like they just dont' stand out.

sk8inluvah

Spectator
The judges really were on crack giving M-T/M PCS 2.5 points higher than to D/R.

M-T/M skated with a lot of power, yes, but their program was quite empty and they don't have the polish that D/R managed to acquire. D/R had much more complex choreography and a program with a lot of detail in it, presented beautifully.

I also think that Castelli/Shnapir were overmarked both on the GOE and the PCS. I was very surprised that Zhang/Bartolomay didn't manage to beat them in the FS at least.

I'd also have Lawrence/Swiegers further ahead of Pang/Zhang in the FS. They skated beautifully, good flow, quite elegant. P/Z, on the other hand, were a hot mess. Yeah 4twist was great but they didn't even pretend to skate to the music and it looked like she was being dragged across the ice by him.

Components are exactly based on the "wow effect" - artistic interpretation, choreography, skating skills, etc. If you've ever seen them both skate live there's no doubt that MT/Ms components are better D/Rs. D/Rs strength is their first score (technical). MT/M really have moved above and beyond with their second score and their technical components beat D/Rs with a fall. D/R may have a tougher road at worlds if MT/M can skate clean. MT/M will also have crowd advantage as they train out of waterloo which is about 45 minutes - 1 hour away from London. And they're both from 1.5-2.5 hours away. They're really putting the pressure on and if this performance was an indicator about how D/R perform under pressure after nationals, I think MT/M have a strong chance to capitalize.