4CC Ladies Free Skate | Page 19 | Golden Skate

4CC Ladies Free Skate

icebeauty

On the Ice
very nice. she looks really determined to make it to Sochi

Christina will be taking a year off from college this coming season. Christina is 18; Gracie 17.

and i think Christina can make Sochi if she does what she's been doing. she's one of the better all-around skaters in US ladies that we've had in the past years. She definitely missed out on an opportunity to go to worlds this year due to some silly mistakes in her free at nationals, but i do think that the experience she got this season (the GPF!!) is really going to help her internationally next season.
I just wish that USFS chose their worlds teams with a points system that take into account finishes at international competitions and not just nationals...(it's how they lost the 3rd men's spot in the first place and the reason why they probably won't get it back...when the US lost the 3rd ladies spot there was just NO ONE that could have saved it...but i think they might have a chance to get it back if Gracie and Ashley skate well...but i doubt Gracie skating clean would garner the same score internationally as Gao skating clean. Gracie has the jumps - if she lands thems - to be competitive, but she lacks the artistry/polish)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also: with all the underrotation calls Mao received, she still had the greatest base value of all the ladies, 59.54 (Zijun Li came close with 57.34). She attempted an 8-triple program with 3A, 3F-3Lo and 2A-3T - that is insane technical content and obviously it didn't work out as planned, but it still was a extremely gutsy of her to attempt it. She was appropriately dinged for her mistakes (for example, the 3A< with negative GOE only got her 3.57 points). I honestly fail to understand all the criticism that she got in this thread - for some people it's as if Mao can do no right.

I for one am thrilled with how Mao did. I think 130 is a good score for her, even with the URs, because she finally upped her technical content. I'm relieved the 3A is back and she's also going for 3-3 and 2A-3T. It's ambitious and makes me excited about her programs more because she's not only challenging herself but also the field. I'm hoping this incites Wagner and Kostner and others to go for 3-3 and more difficult triples in their free. Against Liza/Adelina, Wagner/Kostner would still be fine with lower tech content, but against Mao, their PCS is comparable so she would need to increase her BV.

Also glad for Murakami getting on the podium. Her FS had URs but they were still lovely. She needs to really change her 3F-2A. She rarely hits that, and if she messes up the flip, she runs the risk of not getting a 2A in her program, thus negating her 3T (which has happened before).

I'm hoping this also alleviates the expectations of Gold and Osmond and this allows them to relax and skate without the weight of their countries on their shoulders. Suzuki had a terrible skate just before 4CC so this got her to shape up and I'm hoping it does the same for Gold and Osmond.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 205.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 190.08 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 181.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 176.28 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 170.42 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 166.66 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 159.38 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 158.99 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 155.08 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
10. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 148.34 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
11. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 146.58 Free Skate
12. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 134.90 Free Skate
13. Reyna HAMUI (MEX) - 123.69
14. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 118.11
15. Crystal KIANG (TPE) - 109.15
16. Yeon Jun PARK (KOR) - 106.79
17. Melissa BULANHAGUI (PHI) - 106.36
18. Lejeanne MARAIS (RSA) - 105.06
19. Melinda WANG (TPE) - 96.95
20. Ami PAREKH (IND) - 88.39

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Finally got to watch the Ladies. Lovely skating from podium finishers, Congrats! Mao and Akiko were breathtaking .
Very nice skating from Christina and what a talent we have in Zijun Li.

Well done Ladies!

Icey

Record Breaker
Lot of attributing of poor performances to "nerves". Couldn't it very well be something else?

evangeline

Record Breaker
Why would you put a Spiral in your FS if your spirals are that terrible. Why do that to the judges? Why not do a spread eagle, instead?

That's because the rules for the ladies choreographic sequence state that at least one spiral of any length must be included in the sequence.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm SO happy for Mao bringing the 3Flip-3Loop back. The < call on it is annoying and undeserved. That was a solid jump. She still keeps getting < calls on her 2Axel-3Toe too, which has become a consistently good combo for her. Meh.

I still think this program kinda sucks, though. I guess she will just keep getting underscored on TES and overscored on PCS.

katymay

Medalist
ITA. Congrats to all the medalists, plus Christina and Zijun for a fine skate (luv them both :love:).

I'm not going to praise Mao even though I most definitely would like to, cause I'm sick of some people labelling me here as a Maobot. But I will say one thing; even with the URs and the edge call, Mao's performances in this competition moved alot of people and I think that means something.

If figure skating performances do not touch our hearts, what's the point in watching this sport anyway? Yes, fully rotated jumps with proper edges should be rewarded more than those which aren't since this is a sport. But otoh, figure skating is also a performance. It's a sport in which the audience also plays an important role. That's precisely why there are PCS; scores which I believe can only be subjective even with guidelines. As they are human, the judges will hand out PCS based on their impressions on a performance, just like the audience will evaluate a performance based on how it made them feel.

IMHO, I am sick of some 'fans' debating whether a jump was fully or under rotated. It's close to impossible to make that out when you're in the audience watching the skaters live. The audience can be moved or be amazed by what the skaters do, even if there's a slight UR here and there. Falls, step outs or other visible mistakes will distract appreciation and can ruin a performance more or less, cause those kinds of mistakes distracts them from the performance, making the audience feel down and sorry for the skaters. In other words, they're pulled back into reality from the beautiful world the skaters are trying so hard to create on the ice. But if not DGs, some slight UR or an edge call will not distract them at all. I've had my share of seeing competitions and ice shows live even in the best arena seats, so I know this as a fact.

Some of you seem to enjoy watching slo-mo vids over and over to accuse skaters of URs and wrong edges. I find that quite meaningless to be honest. We're not judges, we're not tech callers, we're not even critics so what's the point? It makes me wonder if those who do so really love this sport or care about the skaters. I think we should try to accept the skaters based on how their performances touched our hearts a bit more. Many of the girls touched my heart in various ways in this competition, I'm simply grateful to them. I'm sure they're all aware of their weak points much more than we do, and are trying to overcome them to become a better skaters. So what's the point in critisizing them so harshly?

I'm not against debating or discussing how you all feel about about the skaters and their performances. It's fun and that's what fans do. But concluding what some skaters cannot do in the future, pointing out how bad they are at what they do, and trying so hard to convince others to think in the same way seems nothing more than ego based childish talk to me. I'm not saying all of you here are like that. But some of you certainly are. I truely hope the skaters do not bother to access this forum and read such posts.

I agree EXCEPT for one thing: Back before the COP system I used to get really ticked off when a skater was given credit for a triple lutz when they were really doing a triple flip. The LBO or RBO is a far more difficult edge to jump from, and the straight line flipping of the edge really made my blood boil. As far as the rest: There are huge and obvious UR's, those obviously need to be dinged. But if you have to watch in slo mo again and again...well, that is absurd.
As far as Mao, Akiko: both short programs were, in my old fashioned judgement: 6.0 After Midori and Kristy, I feel like the skating world went through a long period of mediocrity-five steps backward really-but Yuna and Mao have established a new standard.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I was asking if she is still injured? :confused:

Yes she did, on Chinese forums, it was reported she injured her leg (not said which part specifically just pulled something). She was obviously in pain so no wonder the lack of expression and the weird pause.

She hasn't competed much all season and contemplated early retirement apparently due to some rumored Chinese federation politics where her coach left for a while, so she refused to train until she got her old coach back, when the coach returned recently, so she continued. It is good she kept her jumps, and gives her plenty to work with.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
More ridiculous < calls for Murakami too, I see. :disapp:

That first 3Flip was totally excellent. The second 3Loop was a little short but not < worthy. Zzzz.

Nope. At 6:48, if you freeze it at the moment the loop hits the ice you'll see it was clearly under-rotated. She was also gifted on the 3Flip, because that definitely looked under-rotated too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdHZn7YwPQE

When will people ever learn. WHAT YOU JUST SAID MEANS NOTHING. The point a jump lands means NOTHING unless you give a reference point for where the jump started. Everything exists within a circle. Also, 6:48 is before she even takes off for the entire combination, so I'm not sure what you're talking about to begin with. Both of the jumps in the combination were 1/4 short. A jump should get a deduction if it's more than that. Doing a clean 3Loop like she did on the end of a combination is a difficult task. Congrats to her, and too bad the scoring system doesn't care.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Yes she did, on Chinese forums, it was reported she injured her leg (not said which part specifically just pulled something). She was obviously in pain so no wonder the lack of expression and the weird pause.

She hasn't competed much all season and contemplated early retirement apparently due to some rumored Chinese federation politics where her coach left for a while, so she refused to train until she got her old coach back, when the coach returned recently, so she continued. It is good she kept her jumps, and gives her plenty to work with.

Thank you for the update. I would love to see her performance in the coming years, and hope she will improve her presentation, which should be quite achievable. Also heard somewhere she doesn't think she is "pretty" enough, and lacked confidence for that. I guess it is probably the Chinese media, while celebrated Zijun's prettiness, did damaged other girls' self esteem. I would hate to see her as a victim of that.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one am thrilled with how Mao did. I think 130 is a good score for her, even with the URs, because she finally upped her technical content. I'm relieved the 3A is back and she's also going for 3-3 and 2A-3T. It's ambitious and makes me excited about her programs more because she's not only challenging herself but also the field. I'm hoping this incites Wagner and Kostner and others to go for 3-3 and more difficult triples in their free. Against Liza/Adelina, Wagner/Kostner would still be fine with lower tech content, but against Mao, their PCS is comparable so she would need to increase her BV.

Mao's score is very high, considering the mistakes. Her mistakes were actually quite similar to the mistakes she made last year at 4CC's--she two-footed her triple axel and doubled a jump--it was either the look or the salchow. I think she had one other mistake--like a step-out. I can't remember. But the upshot was that she came in second to Ashley Wagner. I don't think Mao will beat Yu Na in the free skate with mistakes like these.

minze

Medalist
Mao's score is very high, considering the mistakes. Her mistakes were actually quite similar to the mistakes she made last year at 4CC's--she two-footed her triple axel and doubled a jump--it was either the look or the salchow. I think she had one other mistake--like a step-out. I can't remember. But the upshot was that she came in second to Ashley Wagner. I don't think Mao will beat Yu Na in the free skate with mistakes like these.

It was her first time this season with this difficult program, so it had mistakes. We dont know what will happen at worlds. All I know is that the top 3 ladies are letting the babies known that it is not their turn yet to be world champion. Hey anything can happen

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker

Mao's swan lake program is beautifully chroegraphed and beautifully performed. Her PCS deserve to be higher here, as do points for her step sequences.

ForeverFish

Medalist
how do you know ? Osmond got 115+ in Canadian soil at SC with 1 fall, Worlds generally will get inflated as its near end of the season
Osmond with 2 falls will probably score 118+ in LP at London, though its shwing Osmond isnt taht much of nerves of steel as others have said
she can implode too but she is lucky its home soil so Top 5 is lock for her

How do I know? Because I have seen Kaetlyn Osmond skate, and I've also seen Yuna Kim, Mao Asada, Ashley Wagner, Akiko Suzuki, Carolina Kostner, and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva skate. Top 5 isn't a lock for anyone except for Yuna and maybe Carolina. And all five of the above mentioned are head-and-shoulders over Osmond.

ForeverFish

Medalist
They both fell here yet Gao still beats Gold... Gold fell at nats yet beat Gao by a long shot. You know good and well what the point is. Gold-flation is alive and well in the U.S.

I wasn't denying that Gold-flation is present in the US, but that's the case for every skater on home ice. Gold's FS at Nats was also miles better than any of the others, as evidenced by her seven-triple program.

Gao fell once with an edge call. Gold fell once, popped a lutz, got two edge calls, and had a hand down. So, yes, I'm failing to see your point.

I understand Zayak rule. They changed the rule, which makes it not a "Basic Zayak Rule" since that one existed since 6.0, almost 30 years ago.

That's an interesting bit of history. I tried to research it by looking up the proceedings of the ISU Congresses, but you have to sign up for some kind of membership to view them.

Anyway, for sure by the 47th Ordinary Congress in 1998 the rule was in place that no more than two jumps can be repeated. This was the year they extended the original Zayak rule to include quads. As of the 1998=99 season no more than two jumps of the same kind with three or more rotations can be repeated (but for instance you can repeat a quad toe and also repeat a triple toe), and for repeated jumps one of the repetitions must be in combination, etc.

They also firmed up the language that year about sequences. Previously, one repeated jump could be repeated in a sequence, not necessarily a combination.

The newest rule incorporates double Axels into the Zayak fold -- sort of. No more than two double Azels. But you can repeat two double Axels and two different triple jumps as well.

I think it is OK terminology to call all rules of this type "Zayak Rules," although I don't think that is an official ISU term.

By the way, the person who was behind the original Zayak rules in 1982 was our fave ISU lady, Sonia Bianchetti. :yes: