4CC Ladies Free Skate | Page 17 | Golden Skate

4CC Ladies Free Skate

minze

Medalist
Because the UR call already decreases the BV of the jump? :sarcasm:

But, whatever the naysayers still need to complain about, Mao is a real champion! :love:
The development from the beginning of the season until now is just incredible. Even if she didn't fully rotate all of those triples by now, this was her first attempt at a 8-triple program, and for that she did really well. Both calls on the 3A and 2A-3T were quite strict (though justifiable), maybe another caller would have given credit to those jumps. If she continues on like she did this season, and keeps getting better, she might really manage a 8-triple program in Sochi! :bow:
You can never count out Mao, never ever. Since 2010, she has reworked her jumping technique, and additionally even made progress in other areas too. And despite my initial reaction, I even like her new dress.

Very happy for Akiko and Kanako. Both had amazing skates. There was so much beauty in the ladies competition. Worlds will be so exciting!

Chrisitina did really well too. Hopefully, she will continue like that next season and will show the USFSA who's boss :biggrin:

Agree!!! What a champion. The free skate was not perfect but she was in a class of her own. This program makes her a strong conterder at worlds

icebeauty

On the Ice
Chrisitina did really well too. Hopefully, she will continue like that next season and will show the USFSA who's boss :biggrin:

So thrilled for Christina once again...going to Harvard and skating competitively is no easy task (we've seen many struggle with balancing skating and college), but Christina is really succeeding at it (apparently she pulled an all-nighter to finish a school project the day after getting back from the GPF). She has all the technique to be competitive and she's a much more artistic skater than pretty much all of the other US ladies...it's a pity she always gets out-skated at nationals/has stupid mistakes, but it's refreshing to see her do well internationally!
The Japanese ladies are just so impressive and are in a league of their own, especially Mao. I'm very proud of her for sticking around and remaining competitive even after all the ups and downs she's had...remember when she was all anyone could talk about 8 years ago before/at Torino b/c she as too young to compete?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Gracie isn't turning into another Mirai or Alissa. Next season will tell us more about her competitive nature. To much pressure this season with all this nonsense that people have been saying about her being the savior of US Ladies. As for Gao going to Worlds instead of Gracie she's older and it shows. Plus until this year Christina didn't stick out at all with her skating and actually had a mediocre season in 2011-2012. If she wanted to go to Worlds then she needed to beat Gracie. She didn't so she's not going.

Icey

Record Breaker
Christina will be taking a year off from college this coming season. Christina is 18; Gracie 17.

kimganos

On the Ice
Thank you sooo much, Mao88.
Isn't Zijun Li gorgeous? I can't stop watching her, great fluid jumps, flexibility, softness, and such a lyrical quality to her skating. Not to mention great arms and toes. I hope the judges will start to take notice.

:agree: Zijun deserved at least 4th place. She has it all! Just a beautiful skater overall and under marked IMO!

SkaterNater said:
The feed was Standard Quality and I sort of tuned out halfway through the performance, anyways.

You missed the best part. The second half is where she (Mao) knocked it out of the park. :yes:

SkateNater

Match Penalty
How can you get a positive goe on an under rotated jump (mao). The gold and bronze medalist sure did get a lot of ur's and edge calls.:eek:

It's now up to the judges' discretion. GOE rules were relaxed to allow for it. Only falls have to be in the negative (for the free skate).

Sorry, I didn't mean to single them out for the edge calls but for the UR's. My point was that I was surprised you can get a positive goe for a ur. Intuitively one would not think that to be the case. I didn't know the rule about it. Personally I think the tech call should rule and the computer program change any positive goes in these cases to 0. Even that is not the best solution as the jump really should get some negative goe. What is the point of having a tech caller if he is going to be overridden in this manner. If the referee thinks his call should be reversed that is another matter.

Not really a "rule." GOE goes by bulletpoints.

The way that Axel was performed and landed, it should not have gotten positive GOE. There was a two foot landing and turns on the landing, which should have put the GOE in the negative pretty much automatically.

Criteria for GOE on a Jump Element:

FOR + 1 : 2 bullets FOR + 2 : 4 bullets FOR + 3 : 6 or more bullets

1) unexpected / creative / difficult entry
2) clear recognizable steps/free skating movements immediately preceding element
3) varied position in the air / delay in rotation
4) good height and distance
5) good extension on landing / creative exit
6) good flow from entry to exit including jump combinations / sequences
7) effortless throughout
8) element matched to the musical structure

The only thing about that Triple Axel that was perhaps worthy of being mentioned is #4. She Two footed the jump and turned out, so #5, #6, #7 is out. There is no Delay in rotation, so #3 is out. Maybe a judge can try to convince themselves that #8 was met (that would give her +1 GOE before deductions), but there were no steps into the jump and it was telegraphed (which is actually a GOE Deduction), so #1 and #2 is out of the question. She could at most get +1 GOE for the jump. Even if she was to land it well the most I could see her getting is +2 GOE.

GOE Deductions for jumps!

Under-rotated (sign < ) -1 to -2
Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratching etc) -1 to -2
Long preparation -1 to -2
Touch down with one hand or free foot -1
Landing on two feet in a jump -3
Stepping out of landing in a jump -2 to -3
No explanation is needed. The other poster was right ot question the GOE on the jump. Just the landing errors she had were enough to give her an automatic at least -2 GOE on that jump.

The reason why this scoring system sucks as much as 6.0 is because the judges are allowed to manipulate PCS and GOE in a way that makes it function (basically) equivalent to the old system. Only difference is, it has forced most skaters to come up, technically compared to back then. I'm not saying the scores were manipulated, Asada's (rightful) lead after the short program gave her a lot of room to go for things she likely would have left out had it been closer, so there's nothing wrong with her going for the 3A and 3/3 - that was a good decision, IMO, even if she lost points to URs on them. However, the judges inability to score the elements correctly (on a fairly consistent basis, mind you) is a bit troublesome - and they seem to intentionally keep the GOE of other skaters down by comparison.

P.S. Suzuki has some of the best landing positions/run-out that I've ever seen. I'm really a sucker for that :p

Last edited:

icebeauty

On the Ice
Christina will be taking a year off from college this coming season. Christina is 18; Gracie 17.
very nice. she looks really determined to make it to Sochi

and I think she can if she continues to do what she's doing. she has all the pieces to be successful internationally. i'm not saying that she'll challenge Mao and Yuna, but she's developing into one of the most complete ladies skaters the US has had in quite some time.

yuki

Final Flight
Not really a "rule." GOE goes by bulletpoints.

The way that Axel was performed and landed, it should not have gotten positive GOE. There was a two foot landing and turns on the landing, which should have put the GOE in the negative pretty much automatically.

No explanation is needed. The other poster was right ot question the GOE on the jump. Just the landing errors she had were enough to give her an automatic at least -2 GOE on that jump.

Protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2013/fc2013_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

The GOE that she got for the 3A was not only not positive, but -2.43. The previous poster was questioning the positive GOE she got on her 2A+3T< combo (which was an astonishing +0.07 :sarcasm:).

Also: with all the underrotation calls Mao received, she still had the greatest base value of all the ladies, 59.54 (Zijun Li came close with 57.34). She attempted an 8-triple program with 3A, 3F-3Lo and 2A-3T - that is insane technical content and obviously it didn't work out as planned, but it still was a extremely gutsy of her to attempt it. She was appropriately dinged for her mistakes (for example, the 3A< with negative GOE only got her 3.57 points). I honestly fail to understand all the criticism that she got in this thread - for some people it's as if Mao can do no right.

Last edited:

SkateNater

Match Penalty
Gold also bombed, while Gao was relatively clean, so I'm failing to see your point...

Yea if Gold hits her programs she's probably 10+ points ahead of Gao. If Gao hits her programs at worlds, she's probably still going to struggle to get in the top 10 with the kind of PCS they're going to hand out to her there added to her technical deficiencies compared to Gold when she's on.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Im late but wow, Congrats to Mao, she's back ! :love:

Im shocked Osmond didnt get overscored, but then again this wasnt held in Canada
but I am almost certain even with 2 falls, Osmond will be in Top 5 at Worlds as it i will be held on home ground and the inflation will be back

sad for Gracie :cry:

:disapp:

Not unless Mao Asada, Yuna Kim, Carolina Kostner, Ashley Wagner, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, and Akiko Suzuki all crash and burn. You don't finish in the Top 5 at the World Championships with 2 falls, regardless of where it's held. Period.

For comparison, Mao fell ONCE at last year's Worlds and ended up sixth.

Last edited: