4CC Ladies Free Skate | Page 9 | Golden Skate

4CC Ladies Free Skate

Ambivalent

On the Ice
If yuna is perfectly clean, and mao has a few URs, then yes.
Mao's content is insane. 8 triples vs. 6 triples from Yuna.

I think Carolina will have the highest PCS if she's anywhere near clean. Her PCS is insanely high compare to Mao's.

I think it's time for Yu-Na to bring back her loop. I mean, Carolina and Mao are pushing the technical front - now it's time for Yu-Na to do the same (barring injury concerns). :)

Anyone who says Yu-Na can't do a loop is kidding and hasn't seen her perform it - her loop is actually an excellent jump, but mentally she has to break that barrier to get it into competition.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I think it's time for Yu-Na to bring back her loop.

About time! She doesn't have much cushion for PCS anymore. Carolina definitely caught up, maybe even surpassed. Mao's catching up.
Mao ups her content to Men level.
Caro ups her content to some men level.
Yuna will need to up her content to keep up. Never thought I would say that.

gmyers

Record Breaker
At euros the big jump the winner did was a lutz and doubled two salchows so eurosport is totally right and good to see Mao debut this season so strongly lol

SkateNater

Match Penalty
Slow mo, British guys said she made rotation on 3A. I think so.
The loop combo might get a UR though.

Yea, the Loop combo should have gotten a UR. One Flip looked borderline. She really needs to learn to rotate her jumps fully. The "I hope that was enough" rotation is just too volatile, IMO.

She also needs to learn to pull out of her jumps properly. It's why she doesn't get any run-out on them. She lands in a tight backspin position, but it does help her hook UR jumps around so I guess you have to pick your poison.

koriani

Rinkside
About time! She doesn't have much cushion for PCS anymore. Carolina definitely caught up, maybe even surpassed. Mao's catching up.

yuna does need to increase the tech, especially since she took out her 2A+3T (why isn't she doing that combo anymore?)
mao is amazing. her step sequences are probably the best i've ever seen
caro gets incredibly high pcs. and she brought her lutz back this year too!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Remember, she's still work in progress. If she continues to improve, by Sochi time, she would be hard to beat.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
It will be a nail biter at Worlds, if all Mao, Carolina and Yuna all skate their best!!

(But I'm hoping for a Mao/Carolina win because I really don't like Yuna's FS this season... :slink:)

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Remember, she's still work in progress. If she continues to improve, by Sochi time, she would be hard to beat.

Mao has always been hard to beat. Don't know what you're talking about but at 2010 Olympics she had 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! triple axels.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Absolutely thrilled with the top 5!!

Mao: way to throw down before worlds. Both Yu-Na and Carolina should take notice. A determined Mao is a scary thing...

Akiko: so glad she bounced back from her disappoiintment at nationals. Loves her!

Kanako: often underrated but I adore her. She's been on a roll lately.

Christina: continues the tradition of outperforming the higher ranked Americans from nationals. She's been fairly consistent all season and it's great to see her end her season so well.

Zijun: she's had an excellent debut season and has placed top 5 at all of her senior events. I'm so excited to see how she will develop.

As for Gracie, I'm still unimpressed. I'm not shocked by her performances here simply b/c this is what she's been doing all season. She has yet to put together two strong performances. Hopefully she'll do it at worlds...hopefully.

Kaetlyn was feeling the pressure too. Like Gracie she will have to learn to compete under the pressure. Hopefully worlds will be better.

Excellent outing for the Japanese ladies! Great skating! Can't wait for the videos!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Soo Christina continues the tradition of being the sole non-US Worlds team member who places highest in 4CC. I do wonder whether the US will change the way they pick Worlds teams after this...? 3 years in a row is a bit of a pattern, methinks.

(On another note, it was 2-footed but Mao's 3a looked rotated- admittedly to my untrained eyes! She is such a beautiful, fluid skater! SO EXCITED FOR WORLDS.)

The pattern is the US judges playing favorites. Christina was low balled at US nationals. Gold did out skater her in the long for sure but she was a mess in the short program, and was gifted a very high score for that. And in no way shape or form should Gold have the PCS lead the US judges gifted her over Gao......Lets not even get into the Wagner situation. And Hicks/Agnes really?

Its getting ridiculous and I frankly didn't even understand it in this case. Seeing Gao has been fairly consistent this season, made the GPF and frankly if you were going to take into account other things-those things should have mattered.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
yuna does need to increase the tech, especially since she took out her 2A+3T (why isn't she doing that combo anymore?)

Yuna took out the 2A-3T because she wants to do 2 Sals instead of 2 Toe. And she can't do 3 2A anymore.
Rule changed regarding the 2As and the GOE hurt her the most. But I think it's fair to disallow 3 2As and disproportional GOE to base value.
Anyway, poor Yuna, suddenly there are some serious competitions showing their cards waiting to take her down.

SkateNater

Match Penalty
Definitely think Christina should be sent to worlds over gold

Gao is awkward to look at. I really don't see why people are oogling over her. Even her cross-overs leave something to be desired.

It has nothing to do with being "understated."

The Chinese girl was way undermarked. She should have been on the podium, IMO. She's at least way better than Murakami, and I don't understand why the judges are holding Kanako up.

Scoring seemed suspect especially for the final 3. Suzuki's score was a bit... What? I need to see Mao's protocol before I can pass judgement... I want to know if she scored that high with URs or with ignored URs. I still think her Axel take-off is scandalously PR'd.

willdu

On the Ice

Kim also proved at nationals that she could land a 3F-3T. It would be insanely awesome to see her do a 3L-3T and 3F-3T as her opening jumping passes. But I think she would have to include her 3Loop which is why she doesn't have the 3T in right now because she would be repeating1 too many triples. (3S and 3L)

bekalc

Record Breaker
Gao is awkward to look at. I really don't see why people are oogling over her. Even her cross-overs leave something to be desired.

It has nothing to do with being "understated."

The Chinese girl was way undermarked. She should have been on the podium, IMO. She's at least way better than Murakami, and I don't understand why the judges are holding Kanako up.

Scoring seemed suspect especially for the final 3. Suzuki's score was a bit... What? I need to see Mao's protocol before I can pass judgement... I want to know if she scored that high with URs or with ignored URs. I still think her Axel take-off is scandalously PR'd.

I'm not a particular fan of Gao's to be frank. But she was lowballed at US Nationals that's for sure. Considering how Wagner skated. Considering Gold's generous short program score and then ridiculous PCS... I get why they wanted Wagner, and I agree Gold is by far the most talented of the US girls. But considering how inconsistent Gold has been, giving her that kind of favoritism over a skater who has been consistent all season long, was ridiculous.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Yuna took out the 2A-3T because she wants to do 2 Sals instead of 2 Toe. And she can't do 3 2A anymore.
Rule changed regarding the 2As and the GOE hurt her the most. But I think it's fair to disallow 3 2As and disproportional GOE to base value.
Anyway, poor Yuna, suddenly there are some serious competitions showing their cards waiting to take her down.

What do you mean "poor" Yuna? The rule changes were appropriate and there has always been serious competition to "take her down". Don't know if you can remember but all the top ladies were bringing out all their big tricks in the 2009-2010 season to defeat her, as they should!

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Mao has always been hard to beat. Don't know what you're talking about but at 2010 Olympics she had 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! triple axels.

Of course she's hard to beat. But back in 2010, she was losing to Yuna regularly, and she only planned 6 triples in the LP and 2 triples in the SP.
This time, she's planning 3 triples in the SP, 8 triples in the LP. She upped her TES to men level compare to even 2010 Olympics. Which is why I think by Sochi time, if she can clean up her URs, she will be really really hard to beat by anyway, Yuna, Carolina, the Russians with russian bonus.

koriani

Rinkside
The pattern is the US judges playing favorites. Christina was low balled at US nationals. Gold did out skater her in the long for sure but she was a mess in the short program, and was gifted a very high score for that. And in no way shape or form should Gold have the PCS lead the US judges gifted her over Gao......Lets not even get into the Wagner situation. And Hicks/Agnes really?

Its getting ridiculous and I frankly didn't even understand it in this case. Seeing Gao has been fairly consistent this season, made the GPF and frankly if you were going to take into account other things-those things should have mattered.

this. It's so true. I totally agree with you. Okay, maybe Ashley does have the potential to do well at worlds, but I think Gracie needs another season to settle down. As for Agnes, I'm tired of the US judges keeping her up. I like Agnes, but if she implodes at every single competition, she'll never do well. Courtney is great too, and she'll be amazing once she matures and gains more experience. Christina, imho, is the complete package. I think she's just too subtle to be recognized by the US judges.

guanchi

On the Ice

Lol at Caro having men's level tech. And Mao with an 8 triple is pure fantasy- her flutz is so blatant, it's really seven at best.
Remember, men are so strong at keeping that outside edge- barely any men flutz. If having a true lutz shows men's level tech, then you could say Yuna and Caro already have it, Mao doesn't yet. So no need for Yuna to do anything now, except keep her programs clean. But I know what you mean- Mao get's over 200 with a program filled with ur's, 2foots, stepouts since she packs it. Yuna should just throw in a barely there 3a and 3loop just for the heck of it.