4CC Ladies Free Skate | Page 15 | Golden Skate

4CC Ladies Free Skate

jamie

On the Ice
It's a little unfair to compare a program that has been allowed to develop and flourish (Mao's Swan Lake) compared to Yu-Na's undercooked programs. It will depend on how Yu-Na sells it in the end; she said herself she wasn't focussing on artistry on her outings this season. Just focusing on her technical elements.

As for Gao, I really hope she continues to improve. Her layout should be:

3F-3T
3Lo
2A-2T
3F
3S
3Lo
2A (or something to this effect).

Her Lz isn't worth it; she should put another 3Lo because that is at least a solid jump for her.
I don't think she has a salchow and her axel is abismal.

I'd leave the lutz, but work on improving the axel and as you said, put in 2 of them to allow for a 3/3

3 flip/3 toe
3 lutz
3 flip
2 axel
3 loop/2toe/2loop
3loop
2 axel/2loop

Art&Sport

Medalist
YuNa has a bad back; always have, always will have. In terms of artistry it is a matter of personal preference. I prefer YuNa for her fire and power, and for me she emotes equally as well as Mao. Neither hold a candle to the Kween :)love:) but I feel that with Arirang Yu-Na was getting there artistically. Anyway, I hope Yuna brings life to her programs at Worlds...

What do you mean Yu Na has physical problems with her back that prevents her from developing a better layback? In any case it's her leg and foot position in the layback that are problematic, and not as much her back. How does having a bad back prevent one from developing more stretch and toe point? Definitely artistry is a matter of perception. It's all subjective. When I first saw Yu Na as a junior, I was completely taken in -- she reminded me so much of Michelle Kwan for some reason. But when Yu Na came up as a senior I was less and less enthralled. Michelle herself did not have great leg and foot position in her layback spin, but her back position and arms were always lovely and graceful. Somehow though, Michelle's layback did not seem to detract for me from her overall skating. MK actually improved her leg and foot position one season to the aesthetically classic position (see Angela Nikidinov), but MK wasn't able to sustain it, and ended up compensating by bringing her leg down into a modified back spin position.

The thing Michelle had that no one else has is some indefinable magic. It had to do with the courage to open her heart on the ice and let everyone in, and also her strong work ethic which was the foundation of her consistency. Michelle was always very in touch with her emotions and she let them show without ever holding back. It was the sum of all her parts that made Michelle great. She had good jumps and superb technique, but she wasn't the best at any one technical aspect. She just got the most out of her talent where some of her competitors weren't always able to do that, even if they were more talented in certain areas.

As far as Yu Na, I think she has improved her layback spins, and her expressiveness but she still does not fully capture me emotionally. I'm awed and mesmerized by her technical skills, but overall she doesn't grab my heart with her skating.

jamie

On the Ice
Just to point out, Mao could POTENTIALLY do

3 axel/2toe
3flip/3loop
3axel
3 loop/2loop/2loop
2axel/3toe
3 flutz
3 salchow

Insane

Where as, Kim's lack of loop/3 axel and only 2 double axels allowed waters her content to
3 lutz/3toe
3 flip
3 lutz
3 salchow/2toe/2loop
2 axel/2toe
2 axel
repeated flip or salchow

hurrah

Medalist
Sorry to be such a fangirl, but Mao's new costume is perfect!
When I first saw it in a photo, I thought it was too feathery and glittery, but on the big screen, it's a dream.
Tat has really outdone herself this time.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Interesting competition!
Mao: I love that dynamic choreography at the end of her program. And I admire her for going for a 3A *and* a 3-3 combo!
Akiko: I feel like she's making history as an amazing artistic skater. Amazing choreo and musicality, ever since her West Side Story she's brought it to the table and more. Watching her always makes me happy.
Kanako: interesting skater but I can't quite get excited about her.
Christina: glad she's the top American here; she deserves some recognition. But there's definitely some x-factor missing.

Missed Li, will have to watch on youtube later.

Gracie: wow what a meltdown. Don't understand her PCS either. NO expression at all, other than that deer-in-the-headlights. I couldn't help but remember Ashley's frustrated face as she watched Czisny practice at Worlds. Knowing that those 3 spots were gone no matter how high she placed. Hope it won't be a repeat scenario this year.
In Gracie's defense, she had a nosebleed and she looked really flushed before her program, maybe she's ill.

She was very nervous.. Her nose bleed could be out of nerves..

hurrah

Medalist
Just to point out, Mao could POTENTIALLY do

3 axel/2toe
3flip/3loop
3axel
3 loop/2loop/2loop
2axel/3toe
3 flutz
3 salchow

That's four combinations you've got there. In any case, Mao's potential base point would be insane.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Sorry to be such a fangirl, but Mao's new costume is perfect!
When I first saw it in a photo, I thought it was too feathery and glittery, but on the big screen, it's a dream.
Tat has really outdone herself this time.

Why not be a fangirl? :laugh: With Mao there is a lot to cheer for.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 205.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 190.08 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 181.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Christina GAO (USA) - 176.28 Free Skate
5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 170.42 Free Skate
6. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 166.66 Free Skate
7. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 159.38 Free Skate
8. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 158.99 Free Skate
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 155.08 Free Skate
10. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 148.34 Free Skate
11. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 146.58
12. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 134.90
13. Reyna HAMUI (MEX) - 123.69
14. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 118.11
15. Crystal KIANG (TPE) - 109.15
16. Yeon Jun PARK (KOR) - 106.79
17. Melissa BULANHAGUI (PHI) - 106.36
18. Lejeanne MARAIS (RSA) - 105.06
19. Melinda WANG (TPE) - 96.95
20. Ami PAREKH (IND) - 88.39

Last edited:

Ambivalent

On the Ice
That's four combinations you've got there. In any case, Mao's potential base point would be insane.

The potential base points would be insane but I don't think it's ultimately wise for her to pull out all the tricks, unless a perfect Yu-Na or Carolina has gone before her. I feel like there's just too much risk attached to doing 2 triple axels with a 3-3.

My dream Mao layout would be:
3A
3F-3Lo
2A-3T
3Lo-2lo-2lo
3F
3S
3Lz
That's if Mao is feeling well and feeling her jumps. In all honesty though it might be a better idea to repeat the 2A instead of the 3Lz. She'll always have edge issues with the jump and with her +GOE and 10% bonus a 2A to round off her program wouldn't be a bad thing. Mao is getting 120+ scores for FS that haven't been entirely clean, so if she hits a 7 triple program with decent GOE can you imagine her score? It would be very hard to beat regardless, and it could come without having a second, very risky 3A.

Last edited:

IleK

On the Ice
Haha Eurosports commentators said this 4CC's put the Euro Championships to shame...and is better than many Worlds. I agree! It's been a killer competition. (Taking both the Men's and Ladies' competitions into account.)

That is because Eurosport hasn't payed enough attention to Euros this year. I have seen the entire competittion an it was the best I've seen in years in all 4 competitions. 4cc was really boring compared to euros. Especially the european girls were really good, not only the top 3 and there was no clear winner like here. Caro was the favourite but any of the 2 russian girls could have won. Liza received more than Mao in LP. And comparing what I have seen until now from mao and caro, I see Caro beating Mao at Worlds and Yuna winning.

katymay

Medalist

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 205.45 Free Skate
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 190.08 Free Skate
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 181.03 Free Skate
8. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 158.99
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 155.08
10. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 148.34

Again: Thank you for posting the programs-You Rock!

katymay

Medalist
For those of you old enough....Does Gold remind you of Nicole Bobek? (And Bobek could be really fantastic, or a train wreck...just depending upon the competition)
Agnes has a great deal of natural ability, but she has to work on her conditioning and stamina-it has been her downfall for years. I wouldn't worry about Gold on the World team, even when she skates poorly, they seem to be propping her up somewhat. One thing I will say about Gold, she has terrific speed and stamina throughout the program. She is a well conditioned athlete.

hybfc

Rinkside
I am wondering whether mao would try 3t3l, in which she could have more momentum to pull out a fully rotated 3l. And she can do 3f2l2l and 3l to get rid of 3s which she always doubled.

The potential base points would be insane but I don't think it's ultimately wise for her to pull out all the tricks, unless a perfect Yu-Na or Carolina has gone before her. I feel like there's just too much risk attached to doing 2 triple axels with a 3-3.

My dream Mao layout would be:
3A
3F-3Lo
2A-3T
3Lo-2lo-2lo
3F
3S
3Lz
That's if Mao is feeling well and feeling her jumps. In all honesty though it might be a better idea to repeat the 2A instead of the 3Lz. She'll always have edge issues with the jump and with her +GOE and 10% bonus a 2A to round off her program wouldn't be a bad thing. Mao is getting 120+ scores for FS that haven't been entirely clean, so if she hits a 7 triple program with decent GOE can you imagine her score? It would be very hard to beat regardless, and it could come without having a second, very risky 3A.

Last edited:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2013/fc2013_Ladies_FS_Scores.pdf

My two cents:

Mao delivered a strong comeback message. But her potential monstrous jump layout remains... just a potential, as we saw in the FS. My bet is bronze for Mao at the Worlds.

Osmond appears to be an upgraded version of Joannie Rochette, who remains as one of my favorite skaters. Very looking forward to Osmond's development in the next season and beyond.

Leonardo

Final Flight

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 205.45 Free Skate
2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 190.08 Free Skate
3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 181.03 Free Skate
8. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 158.99 Free Skate
9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 155.08 Free Skate
10. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 148.34 Free Skate

Thank you sooo much, Mao88.
Isn't Zijun Li gorgeous? I can't stop watching her, great fluid jumps, flexibility, softness, and such a lyrical quality to her skating. Not to mention great arms and toes. I hope the judges will start to take notice.

Last edited:
Soo Christina continues the tradition of being the sole non-US Worlds team member who places highest in 4CC. I do wonder whether the US will change the way they pick Worlds teams after this...? 3 years in a row is a bit of a pattern, methinks.

(On another note, it was 2-footed but Mao's 3a looked rotated- admittedly to my untrained eyes! She is such a beautiful, fluid skater! SO EXCITED FOR WORLDS.)

I'm just working my way through the thread and had to stop to squeeee about both Mao and Christina. Oh, Mao! I'm in tears. This lady has a heart of fire. I'm so proud to be her fan.

More thoughts: So glad to hear that Akiko did well. Congrats to the ladies of Japan! And Gao in fourth? Tremendous. But my first and most intense emotion is for Mao. How delightful to see her doing so well again.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
A Japanese sweep of the podium for the ladies! Congrats to Mao, Akiko and Kanako!.
I am thrilled for Akiko for a strong comeback after her previous difficulties
this should give her confidence going into Worlds.

Also very happy for Christina, well done!

I have not had a chance to watch the videos yet. Mao88 thank you for for posting the videos,
as always you are the best!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congrats to medalists! :points: to Mao Akiko & Kanako.
Without any of your performances, I could have never overcome my rather miserable Sunday...Thank you so much, girls! :yes:

But the one who stole my heart tonight was Zujin Li! :love:

Icey

Record Breaker
Glad Gao has decided to stay on another year. She is only 18, so why the unwillingness of some here to give her the same benefit of a doubt given other teenagers here. Delighted Susuzki has bounced back, but I am concerned she will never be given her due by the judges. With regard to the two overhyped skaters, all that glitters is not gold lol.