Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: 4CC Ladies Free Skate

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    A half-turn pre-rotation is not normal for a 3T, and YuNa doesn't usually get enough speed coming out of a 3S to realistically tack on a 3T.
    It's not pre-rotation, it's just the jump mechanics. The jump takes off forwards, like almost all the other ones except the Axel which is more sideways.

Feast your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=343MnzvKCew

She had a pretty good toe take-off on that one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    A half-turn pre-rotation is not normal for a 3T, and YuNa doesn't usually get enough speed coming out of a 3S to realistically tack on a 3T.
    There have been times in the past where YuNa has had less-than-ideal landings on the front end of her combinations and still managed to tack on a 3T... for example 2009 Worlds on I think both her 3F and 2A. Ah well maybe it's just the uber in me talking; I just love watching her 3-3s.

Wait. Why are we talking about Yuna in a thread about an event that she didn't even enter again?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambivalent View Post
    There have been times in the past where YuNa has had less-than-ideal landings on the front end of her combinations and still managed to tack on a 3T... for example 2009 Worlds on I think both her 3F and 2A. Ah well maybe it's just the uber in me talking; I just love watching her 3-3s.
    Yea, there were some in slow motion on YouTube but I can no longer find it as I cleared my favorites a while back. Both from a Flip and a DA she basically jumped straight up and rotated 3 full rotations. Very difficult.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Wait. Why are we talking about Yuna in a thread about an event that she didn't even enter again?
    Because the event is over and now we're discussion what is to follow, assuming she shows up there. We spoke about Kostner and others (like Wagner, Mirai, etc.) as well!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I have no idea. Back to the topic of the thread. (Sorry).

I love Akiko and Murakami. I especially like Murakami's programs this year. She can really be a delight to watch when she's on. I adore her FS especially.

Custom Title
    Interesting competition!
    Mao: I love that dynamic choreography at the end of her program. And I admire her for going for a 3A *and* a 3-3 combo!
    Akiko: I feel like she's making history as an amazing artistic skater. Amazing choreo and musicality, ever since her West Side Story she's brought it to the table and more. Watching her always makes me happy.
    Kanako: interesting skater but I can't quite get excited about her.
    Christina: glad she's the top American here; she deserves some recognition. But there's definitely some x-factor missing.

Missed Li, will have to watch on youtube later.

Gracie: wow what a meltdown. Don't understand her PCS either. NO expression at all, other than that deer-in-the-headlights. I couldn't help but remember Ashley's frustrated face as she watched Czisny practice at Worlds. Knowing that those 3 spots were gone no matter how high she placed. Hope it won't be a repeat scenario this year.
    In Gracie's defense, she had a nosebleed and she looked really flushed before her program, maybe she's ill.

Banned
    I have no idea. Back to the topic of the thread. (Sorry).

I love Akiko and Murakami. I especially like Murakami's programs this year. She can really be a delight to watch when she's on. I adore her FS especially.
    Murakami left me a bit cold, but the part at the end was super cute (coach was not amuse, certainly not...).

Akiko, I dunno. I'm sort of addicted to her skating now. She just seems to have fun no matter what happens. We need to see more of that, IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Interesting competition!
    Mao: I love that dynamic choreography at the end of her program. And I admire her for going for a 3A *and* a 3-3 combo!
    Akiko: I feel like she's making history as an amazing artistic skater. Amazing choreo and musicality, ever since her West Side Story she's brought it to the table and more. Watching her always makes me happy.
    Christina: glad she's the top American here; she deserves some recognition. But there's definitely some x-factor missing.

Gracie: wow what a meltdown. Don't understand her PCS either. NO expression at all, other than that deer-in-the-headlights. I couldn't help but remember Ashley's frustrated face as she watched Czisny practice at Worlds. Knowing that those 3 spots were gone no matter how high she placed. Hope it won't be a repeat scenario this year.
    In Gracie's defense, she had a nosebleed and she looked really flushed before her program, maybe she's ill.
    I wondered about that. She did something with her nose right before her ending post in her program. However, she looked totally fine in K&C. It was probably from spinning/jumping. I think Mirai had same issue in the SP at the Olympics in Vancouver.

She did look rather nervous, though. She really needs to train her consistency up so that she isn't in those low placements and depending on some miracle program to pull her up.

Custom Title
    While Yu-na's 33s remain great, her two programs this season aren't that memorable. Mao's Swan Lake however is turning into a real masterpiece. I really appreciate all the little nuances there were in that program. She really pronounced them well and made the program rich, the very reason I have always been on team Mao. Even her 3A's entry is so much shorter than in 2010.

I'm worried about Gao. Given the trend of Nagasu and Zhang, things aren't looking bright for her...

Quote Originally Posted by Trewyn View Post
    Interesting competition!

I'm frankly a little bit as concerned about Wagner who has had two very poor skates. My thinking though is that I get why the USFSA wants to get Gold out there because she is extremely talented-and yes has more of a future than Gao. But putting a skater out there before she is ready....And I'm not convinced Gold is ready for that kind of pressure.. Also there's the three spots situation on the line, and I'm sorry I think the entire season and frankly NATIONALS along with Four Continents here all illustrate that Gao very much is at this point right now more prepared to handle that kind of pressure.

LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 205.45 Free Skate
    2. Akiko SUZUKI (JPN) - 190.08 Free Skate
    3. Kanako MURAKAMI (JPN) - 181.03
    4. Christina GAO (USA) - 176.28
    5. Zijun LI (CHN) - 170.42
    6. Gracie GOLD (USA) - 166.66 Free Skate
    7. Kaetlyn OSMOND (CAN) - 159.38
    8. Agnes ZAWADZKI (USA) - 158.99
    9. Amelie LACOSTE (CAN) - 155.08
    10. Kexin ZHANG (CHN) - 148.34
    11. Julianne SEGUIN (CAN) - 146.58
    12. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 134.90
    13. Reyna HAMUI (MEX) - 123.69
    14. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 118.11
    15. Crystal KIANG (TPE) - 109.15
    16. Yeon Jun PARK (KOR) - 106.79
    17. Melissa BULANHAGUI (PHI) - 106.36
    18. Lejeanne MARAIS (RSA) - 105.06
    19. Melinda WANG (TPE) - 96.95
    20. Ami PAREKH (IND) - 88.39

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    While Yu-na's 33s remain great, her two programs this season aren't that memorable. Mao's Swan Lake however is turning into a real masterpiece. I really appreciate all the little nuances there were in that program. She really pronounced them well and made the program rich, the very reason I have always been on team Mao. Even her 3A's entry is so much shorter than in 2010.

I'm worried about Gao. Given the trend of Nagasu and Zhang, things aren't looking bright for her...
    It's a little unfair to compare a program that has been allowed to develop and flourish (Mao's Swan Lake) compared to Yu-Na's undercooked programs. It will depend on how Yu-Na sells it in the end; she said herself she wasn't focussing on artistry on her outings this season. Just focusing on her technical elements.

As for Gao, I really hope she continues to improve. Her layout should be:

3F-3T
    3Lo
    2A-2T
    3F
    3S
    3Lo
    2A (or something to this effect).

Her Lz isn't worth it; she should put another 3Lo because that is at least a solid jump for her.

Custom Title
    The ladies event was probably the best skated especially for the top five ladies (although the top pairs and dance teams have also been good here). Too bad Gracie Gold and Osmond faltered, but hopefully they each gain experience that will help them do better at Worlds. I thought Gracie had chased away the nervous bugaboos, but I guess not. There wasn't so much pressure on her here, but maybe she put pressure on herself to do a repeat of Nationals lp. She has to forget about that, but maintain her confidence and just stay in the moment. Clearly, it's a good thing she's not carrying the extra weight of having won the U.S. National championship, unless conversely that would have given her more confidence. Winning Canadian Nationals didn't actually seem to have given Osmond more confidence.

Great job by the top three Japanese ladies which more than makes up for the unexpectedly poor showing by the Japanese men. Lovely job also by Zijun Li.

Christina was wonderful in the sp, and she kept it together somewhat in the long program, albeit with mistakes. She needs to gain more confidence and belief in herself and project that better on the ice.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 02-10-2013 at 06:42 AM.

Custom Title
    It's a little unfair to compare a program that has been allowed to develop and flourish (Mao's Swan Lake) compared to Yu-Na's undercooked programs. It will depend on how Yu-Na sells it in the end; she said herself she wasn't focussing on artistry on her outings this season. Just focusing on her technical elements.
    I really don't know about that... the first time I saw Mao's FS I thought, "That is going to be special", and the first time I saw Akiko's FS I spent the rest of the day feeling inspired and excited. Yuna's FS just doesn't do it for me. The music cuts are just awful (why do you need to include that many pieces from 'Les Mis', anyway??), and the choreography is just not that inspired. It would be hard to create inspired choregoraphy for such uninteresting music cuts, but still...

That said, I think that Yuna's execution of technical elements is more polished than Mao's- so it is going to be a nail biter of a competition if both ladies bring it to Worlds!

Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast