2013 Four Continents Gala Exhibition | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2013 Four Continents Gala Exhibition

An anonymous Japanese fan telephoned JSF this morning and asked why Misha and Balde are on the list.
JSF said both boys are directly recommended by ISU.

??? What legitimate interest does the ISU have in promoting one skater over another? Was it the full ISU Congress who twisted their arm, or just one particular office holder?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Christina IS on the list, third from the top.

I am in 2 minds about Gangham Style. I HATE the song. But, it ALWAYS produces good gala routine.

I absolutely loved Christina's routine when she performed it at the gala in France, largely because of the pitch invasion by Gilles, Poirier and Verner.

But, I didn't like it today. Why? Well, there were too many skaters involved in the pitch invasion! It was fun when there were 4 on the ice doing the silly dance, but 10 just looked a mess. Especially since they were not standing in any organised fashion. At least in Paris they were standing in a line!

Personally, I would have had it more similar to the French performance, with Piper and Paul coming on again. And, since Tomas wasn't there (wrong continent!), I would have replaced him with either Misha (well, he was doing Gangnam Style for his gala routine!) or Kanako (she would have been good fun, and it would have pleased the local fans!)

As for Misha's routine, I know he wanted to stamp his own mark on an over-used tune by using a different version of the song. But, I don't like remixes at the best of times. And I really didn't like that remix of Gangnam Style!

But, overall, a great gala

CaroLiza_fan

giulia95

Medalist
Yuzu screwed up with jumps, 3A wasn't rotated at all and ended up on the knee. Slow spins and breathing very heavily when he finished.

I's so unusual to see both J-guys skating so early in gala.

No wonder the kid skated badly as he looked like a meat-grinder had just chopped him both physically and mentally…:rolleye:

In general I’m a bit shocked because I’ve already red somewhere on GS that some people think maybe Hanyu will retire after Sochi… :eek:. while I hope with all my heart he will have a long and legendary career like his japanese senpai fellow :slink:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Depends on how healthy he really is. I don't know, I want him to continue - of course. But if his health and life quality is on the line here, it is understandable that he won't go on. I think it also depends on what the results in Sochi are. Winning the OGM robs him of the ultimate goal, at a very early stage in his career. :D After that it is hard to keep the motivation going, especially if you're not THAT healthy to begin with.

giulia95

Medalist
Depends on how healthy he really is. I don't know, I want him to continue - of course. But if his health and life quality is on the line here, it is understandable that he won't go on. I think it also depends on what the results in Sochi are. Winning the OGM robs him of the ultimate goal, at a very early stage in his career. :D After that it is hard to keep the motivation going, especially if you're not THAT healthy to begin with.

I would add " depends on how healthy he really is NOW".. He's a great fighter and he said MANY TIMES he wants to have a long career.. so some people and not him are talking about his retirement and this is honestly quite shocking to me because he's only 18...

as I've already written in an old post, his former coach was perfectly able to handle him and his asthma, protecting him against overworking and preventing severe injuries, and that's why he had an AMAZING TRAJECTORY OF TALENT... and all these achievements have been reached without money and facilities...

while actually we're talking about his health and life quality which are on the line, as you perfectly said..:eek:

gardenernaga

Rinkside
??? What legitimate interest does the ISU have in promoting one skater over another? Was it the full ISU Congress who twisted their arm, or just one particular office holder?

JSF's explanation follows: EX members this time were 1)three medalists, 2)one or two local skaters, 2)one or two ISU selected participants.

The truth may be some political or economical reasons, but I myself totally cannot understand why.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Dai is still stressed out and looked very exhausted, both emotionally and physically. Steps, spins were mindblowing, jumps were vey high, 3A especially (but with so). Yet, less sharpy moves in general and not as in hot move as we are accustomed to see. He actually looked kind of pale.

I noticed that he looked a little pale too, I thought maybe it was the lighting in the arena. Nice performance but not the showmanship
and precision we are accustomed to. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Assuming the story about why Ge and Balde were picked is true...

Oh yes, behold the mad politikking skillz of the Uzbekistan skating federation! The people who brought Gizmo to the top of the skating world!:laugh:

Ge and Balde probably got invited for the same reason Tomas Verner sometimes gets invited regardless of placement: they're entertaining, they have fun gala numbers rather than recycled competitive programs/interchangeable Adele stuff, and they can get the crowd involved. Maybe someone within the ISU finally understood that galas should have public appeal.

Miche Ge is much more fun than the vast majority of skaters today, and Balde is a good performer too. I'd be happy to see them in a gala.

Last edited:
^ I still have to ask, what legitimate business is it of the ISU to say, put this skater in the gala and not that?

And I still have the question, when we say "the ISU made them do it," who exactly are we talking about? Cinquanta? Dore? The "Gala Subcommittee of ISU Championships Committee?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Do skaters who didn't win any of the monetary prizes get any money for doing the exhibition? (Balde, Ge)

chloepoco

Medalist
JSF's explanation follows: EX members this time were 1)three medalists, 2)one or two local skaters, 2)one or two ISU selected participants.

The truth may be some political or economical reasons, but I myself totally cannot understand why.

Well, whatever the reasons, I found both Ge and Balde very entertaining! Definitely worthy of being in the Gala!!! :)

figuristka

Medalist
Han YAN is a wonderful jumper and great up and coming skaters to seniors but wish he would look more relaxed and smile more.

Do skaters who didn't win any of the monetary prizes get any money for doing the exhibition? (Balde, Ge)

I think they get a nominal amount. It used to be $900 for medalists and $700 for non-medalists some years ago.

Also, the skaters' contracts say that they must skate in the gala if invited.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I knew about the "must skate" rule, but not about whether they were paid, or it was involuntary servitude, so to speak.