Congratulations Kevin Reynolds! | Golden Skate

Congratulations Kevin Reynolds!

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
He is Canada's new "Quad King." Well done Kevin! I hope to see a replay of his skate...

:points:

emma

Record Breaker
Yes! Heartfelt congratulations to Kevin!!!! I admire his tenancity and his hard work - not only for the quads, but for attempting other improvements in his overall skating too; and then keeping it all together when it counts!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope he goes home and works on his skating skills and keep on getting consistent iwth the jumps and alittle more oomph on the spins - he is looking great.

Ravensque

On the Ice
He is..........and anything can happen at Worlds :)...........Go Kevin, and work on those skating skills.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Like I said before this has to be one of the biggest if not the biggest upsets. Not sure the 6.0 system would have allowed this but really nice work. He deserved the win here; sure his program and skating skills aren't that of Hanyu, Takahsi or Chan when they are on but he delivered the goods in a reasnoable good program (even with that bad hair lol).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hey don't knock his hair! Especially this shorter cut which I postulated to be worth 10 PCS points from the judges.

Seriously though, Kevin is rewarded for his tenacity of sticking with improving his overall skills. He's been the quad king for years now but his SS and his hair received little love. Over the last two seasons he showed great improvement in his performance and other PCS aspects though seemingly at the expense of his jump consistency. I am so happy to see him putting it all together finally this year. :thumbsup: It is the process many have to have the courage to go through. So big congratulations to Kevin! Keep on keeping on, Kev! Canadians are proud of you.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
BTw, I am so pleased for Kevin :) I particularly like his Chambermaid Swing SP, and I'm so glad to see him getting some respect for his hard work and awesome jumps.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Like I said before this has to be one of the biggest if not the biggest upsets. Not sure the 6.0 system would have allowed this but really nice work. He deserved the win here; sure his program and skating skills aren't that of Hanyu, Takahsi or Chan when they are on but he delivered the goods in a reasnoable good program (even with that bad hair lol).

This is definitely the biggest upset in recent memory. Especially considering Reynolds was 6th. This was a great moment for him, especially after such a demoralizing Nationals for him two or three years ago when he didn't even make the podium. I'm sure many counted him out and even he was trying to find himself after that. This, along with Nationals, should give him great confidence going into Worlds, and is a great opportunity to seal 3 spots for Canada in Sochi. I think he said in an interview his goal is top 6. He'll need to skate like this in order to have a shot, but even if he doesn't, this is a great takeaway for his season.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Seriously though, Kevin is rewarded for his tenacity of sticking with improving his overall skills. He's been the quad king for years now but his SS and his hair received little love. Over the last two seasons he showed great improvement in his performance and other PCS aspects though seemingly at the expense of his jump consistency. I am so happy to see him putting it all together finally this year. :thumbsup: It is the process many have to have the courage to go through. So big congratulations to Kevin! Keep on keeping on, Kev! Canadians are proud of you.

:agree: Agreed, SkateFiguring. Kevin was a clear winner that night! Buuut except this part:
Canadians are proud of you.
because many skating fans in Japan are ALSO proud of Kevin. :biggrin:

And my heartfelt congrats to Kenji Miyamoto the choreographer, too! :yay: Kevin's is Kenji's very first championship winning free program as professional choreographer. The only tiny complain from me is...it wasn't Daisuke's. ;) cause I have been dreaming so long that Takahashi+Miyamoto free skate would win the championship someday. I hope more skaters will go to Kenji for choreography.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
:agree: Agreed, SkateFiguring. Kevin was a clear winner that night! Buuut except this part:

because many skating fans in Japan are ALSO proud of Kevin. :biggrin:

And my heartfelt congrats to Kenji Miyamoto the choreographer, too! :yay: Kevin's is Kenji's very first championship winning free program as professional choreographer. The only tiny complain from me is...it wasn't Daisuke's. ;) cause I have been dreaming so long that Takahashi+Miyamoto free skate would win the championship someday. I hope more skaters will go to Kenji for choreography.

That was a very well structured program, and Kevin did not only do three quads and two 3-3 combos, he was fully committed to the choreography and delivered it perfectly. it was just precious. Congratulations to Kevin and Miyamoto. great work.

Go Kevin and do two clean programs at world!

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I think one of the Canadian channels was supposed to cover 4CC's later?

In any case, here's Kevin's performances:
SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrN61rKh_8Q
LP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeTP1QwiYQw

Interview
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpQVqozLwN4

Gala (click on the arrow, and youtube will jump to Kevin's gala program)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=MZbzW5hYUlE#t=2649s

thanks for the videos. Kevin was very adorable during the interview speaking Japanese and it was we'll appreciated.

Have anyone noticed Han Yan's 3A-3T at the end of the interview? It was not only huge, covering half the rink width, the take off and landing are superb, no pre-rotation at all, spot on! wow, that should be +3 worthy jumps!

Coriana

On the Ice
It is an adorable clip. Kevin speaks well and is good at interviews, and has a sly wit. He endeared himself to me forever at last years worlds when he was 12th. In the interview after his skate but before the last skaters, he said - , "Well, I've done my bet. It's up to PAtrick now" The magic number for Canada being 13.

Laughing Man

Rinkside
Medal Ceremony

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16IgQ0RYLI4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TPuBsprpFQ

Kevin looks so happy on the podium and the Japanese crowds love Kevin:laugh:
I was happy to hear his Japanese in the interview:)

I was happy to hear it too! Kevin looked quite surprised at first when he got standing ovation and such loud applause from the audience, but now he knows he has lots of fans in Jpn. Jpnse fans love quad jumpers, and his other elements improved so much this season, so far I have not seen or heard a single complaint against his win amongst skating fans in my country. Everyone here is happy for him. I'm even grateful for Kevin beating Yuzu. I like Yuzu more or less, but it's not so good for him to win too much at his age. He needs to experience losing more, and gets used to the fact that he's got more strong rivals on the way; not just Dai, Javi, nor Pattie. Anyways, congrats Kevin! Keep up the good work! :agree:

yude

Record Breaker
I am a huge fan of Yuzuru, but personally I don't have any complaint against his win either. The Worlds's going to be more and more exciting and interesting:agree:

Last edited:

Angela V

Rinkside
I think one of the Canadian channels was supposed to cover 4CC's later?

Hockey. Hockey lockout was over and CBC couldn't even muster their 4 hours of 4CCs for Saturday and Sunday. Because you know, they just had to air as much hockey as possible.!