Results 1 to 15 of 81

Thread: Vintage Kurt

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,709

    Vintage Kurt

    I discovered that I can watch Youtube on my new "smart" tv the other night, so I looked up some Kurt. Wow there was some great programs to watch...I even rewatched the original "Quad King" land the first quad in the fs history books. I well remember that famous night. Kurt was so young and inspiring. It reminded me of why he became my favorite male skater of all time. Kurt moves like "poetry on ice." He is a real legend.

  2. #2
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,697
    God bless Kurt! A gentleman and surely one of the skating Gods! Still sublime after all these years

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I agree with you both! He's still the top of the list for me. He was a wonderful Olympic-eligible skater and became an even better pro skater. Thank goodness he turned pro during the real peak of pro skating opportunities, because we got to see an amazing array of beautiful and innovative skating while he was in his physical prime. He's still more exciting to watch than almost anyone else. Just magical, and a splendid person off the ice as well.

    If I ever decide to relocate to Canada, and any officials ask me why I want to live there, I will give two answers: Stan Rogers (their great troubadour) and Kurt Browning. They'll let me in right away, I'm sure.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I agree with you both! He's still the top of the list for me. He was a wonderful Olympic-eligible skater and became an even better pro skater. Thank goodness he turned pro during the real peak of pro skating opportunities, because we got to see an amazing array of beautiful and innovative skating while he was in his physical prime. He's still more exciting to watch than almost anyone else. Just magical, and a splendid person off the ice as well.

    If I ever decide to relocate to Canada, and any officials ask me why I want to live there, I will give two answers: Stan Rogers (their great troubadour) and Kurt Browning. They'll let me in right away, I'm sure.
    Why am I not surprised? I knew of your Kurt love but never anticipated the Stan love. My husband was a friend of Stan and Garnet and shared many a stage with them at folk festivals in the 70s and 80s. Stan said he learned how to do sea shanties from the Friends of Fiddler's Green (my husband was in that band for a while). Boy is he missed! His son is a singer and looks and sounds so much like his father. I definitely should meet you someday! I've got tons of Stan stories!

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,138
    Oh dear. I don't know who Stan is (being from the lower 48) but I'll match anyone's love of Kurt Browning. When I get lost in uTubeland rewatching dearly beloved programs.............I shake my head and say "what has figure skating come to!" Today where multiple quads are the "in" thing and spins that have eleventy-two positions to get maximum points, I think of Ragiddon or remember the program Kurt did to beautiful flamenco music and didn't do a jump or a spin. It was riveting. Singing in the Rain, That's Entertainment, CASABLANCA (one of the most complete programs I've ever seen from anybody) and those amazing feet!!!

    I've told friends for years that I should have been born Canadian. Anyone care to adopt me?

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Oh dear. I don't know who Stan is (being from the lower 48) but I'll match anyone's love of Kurt Browning. When I get lost in uTubeland rewatching dearly beloved programs.............I shake my head and say "what has figure skating come to!" Today where multiple quads are the "in" thing and spins that have eleventy-two positions to get maximum points, I think of Ragiddon or remember the program Kurt did to beautiful flamenco music and didn't do a jump or a spin. It was riveting. Singing in the Rain, That's Entertainment, CASABLANCA (one of the most complete programs I've ever seen from anybody) and those amazing feet!!!

    I've told friends for years that I should have been born Canadian. Anyone care to adopt me?
    Stan Rogers was a famous Canadian singer/songwriter in the 70s and 80s. "Northwest Passage" and "Barrett's Privateers" were well known. Sadly, he was killed in a plane crash in1983, I think. He was returning from a folk festival in Texas. Check him out on youtube sometime.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Why am I not surprised? I knew of your Kurt love but never anticipated the Stan love. My husband was a friend of Stan and Garnet and shared many a stage with them at folk festivals in the 70s and 80s. Stan said he learned how to do sea shanties from the Friends of Fiddler's Green (my husband was in that band for a while). Boy is he missed! His son is a singer and looks and sounds so much like his father. I definitely should meet you someday! I've got tons of Stan stories!
    Scruff! I am sitting here bright green with envy. How lovely that your husband knew him and his brother. Just this week I listened to Northwest Passage to share it with a friend that was looking for something that the men in his chorale could sing together. That, Bluenose, and The Mary Ellen Carter are my three favorite songs of his.

    Noskates, you owe it to yourself to seek him out. He and Gordon Lightfoot (in a different way) are as close as it gets to the voices of Canada. One thing that gets me about Stan is that he writes the most incredible verses that rhyme and scan but that sound like a completely natural spoken line. As if that were not enough, he also manages to slide in the "job" terms associated with whatever work he's singing about: nautical, farming, ranching.

    Here are some of his songs:

    Bluenose (a schooner that is a symbol of Canada
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1IvV6qAWY

    The Mary Ellen Carter (this is probably as good a "fight song" as you'll ever need when you need a boost)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhop5VuLDIQ


    Northwest Passage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI

    Special bonus: I was hunting around for Lightfoot's Canadian Railroad Trilogy, and I found the Canadian Idol final six from a few years ago singing it. Okay, they're not Lightfoot, but there's something tremendously moving about these kids joining together to sing (and pretty well, too) for Lightfoot in the audience.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF1g4NcINvQ

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,138
    Olympia, thank you for the youtubes. I HAVE heard Stan Rogers. His voice was very, very familiar to me. But then I got lost in youtubeland with Gordon Lightfoot who has been a favorite of mine for well over 35 years. I didn't know that he had recorded The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5X8cn4zzA8

    I always loved If You Could Read My Mind. Need to find those old CDs.

    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Scrufflet for making me an honorary Canadian. I stayed at the Empress Hotel during Skate Canada in 2006. I remember waking up really, really early one morning and taking a walk around the harbor. It was so beautiful. I've been to Vancouver a handful of times and actually went to Toronto for a concert one time. Would love to take that Canadian Pacific train trip across the country~

    eta: forgot to mention that the first time I met Kurt in person (at the World Championships in Oakland, CA) I was struck by how friendly and open he was. He looked you in the eye and acted like you were the most important person to him at that moment - even though there was a huge crowd around him trying to get pictures, autographs, etc. I remember the first time I noticed him was the televised men's freeskate from the Calgary Olympics. Not only did I think he was adorable then but he had "it!" You just knew you would be seeing him again. So many of the top skaters in the ensuing years, in my opinion, haven't had the certain "it" that makes them great!!!! They can land jumps, do spins, etc. but the hard to identify, born with it, can't be taught, special something just isn't there. Kurt is my benchmark for all male skaters!
    Last edited by noskates; 02-10-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •