Vintage Kurt | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Vintage Kurt

Coriana

On the Ice
It is a great idea, oh clever skatefiguring. And the word is spreading. We should keep it off twitter though, as PChiddy does follow quite a few. We can't throw dollars at the exhibition, which would have been really good, given the song. Would there were paper ones still.

noskates

Record Breaker
Hi Spikey! Long time no see! I only wish I had seen Kurt skate as many times as I've seen Clay in person (California 8 times, Massachusetts, New York (on Broadway in Spamalot) Toronto, Texas, Nevada twice, Washington, Kansas, North Carolina.......) Skatefiguring were you at Clay's Jukebox Tour? Or the AI tour in Toronto?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
BUT - I am going to Nationals in Boston next year! Can hardly wait since it's an Olympic year. Went to Nationals in San Jose last year, which was an easy trip. Figure skating is just getting wayyyyyyyyyy too expensive though.

If I can find "Jump" I would be glad to loan it to anyone. I'll post in here if I find the book. I've moved a couple of times since I read it and it could be anywhere.

Hope we can meet up in Boston! We'll probably take the train from Philly to get there. May I borrow "Jump" @ some point?

I'm going to SOI too, but will be in the relatively cheap seats. I have sat in Ice Seats and really loved the experience , but it was chilly round the feet.

Welcome to GS, Coriana! When you do have on ice seats, you definitely need to bundle up (dress in layers). Some rinks are colder than others. Case in point - Ice Works in Aston, PA - Doris P. can attest to that too.

I would like to say that I have had two encounters with Judy Collins. One was years ago after a concert, very brief and stammering on my part, and another was when she was traveling around to promote her book a few years ago. I was at a bookstore when she gave her presentation, which included reminiscences and some singing. I was astounded to hear how well maintained her voice is. She ended with an a capella rendition of "Amazing Grace" and invited everyone to sing along. I was way, way in the back, so I felt confident enough to join in. So in a way I've gotten to sing with Judy Collins. (Thank God she couldn't hear me.)

SF, I love that phrase a hat trick for Patrick. What a great play on words. Whoever thought that up must have been so jazzed by the idea.

Great story about Judy Collins & neat idea for a hat trick for Patrick.

I started the campaign on Patrick's thread and hopefully there will be hats raining down if he wins his third Worlds title in Canada. :)

BTW, Kurt is a big hat lover, so much so his wife complains about they taking up too much room in the house. :biggrin:

:biggrin:

Kurt's excuse is that his head needs the protection, from the sun in the summer and the cold in the winter. :laugh:

:rofl:

I completely forgot that Clay performed in "Spamalot." We haven't seen him in it, but we've seen the show 3 times (once in NY), twice locally - Love it to pieces!

Another random thought, especially for those of us who would like to be thought of as "honourary" Canadians. On one of our trips to Canada, I came across a very funny book called "Fakin' It." It's advice on how to pretend you're Canadian. On another visit to Toronto, I got an interesting dictionary called, "Canajan, Eh?" - complete with pronunciation of essential Canadian things.

Last edited:
A friend of mine says there's a dictionary of "Strine," which is (if you hear the accent in your mind) Australian ('stralian). I'll have to bone up on Canajan so I can take my citizenship test.

On another front, I reluctantly concede that we can't have octagonal passports. They'll look like stop signs. I suppose we can make do with hexagons, which are more geometrically significant anyway. They tessellate. All of our passports can fit together with no spaces when we put them on the table of the border welcoming committee. Hmmm. Where exactly is our border, anyway?

A further thought. We should give knighthoods. How does Sir Kurt sound? Sir Kurt and Lady Sonia.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I would LOVE to meet anyone from this board at Nats next year. I think we're flying in to Boston from probably San Francisco (maybe Oakland - depends on cost) and we're with Dash Tours. I've heard our hotel is only a block from the arena but don't know the name yet. i'm going to look for Jump today and will be glad to lend it to anyone who wants to read it. The book is autobiographical, has some great pictures, talks at length about the night Kurt landed his first quad in practice, and IIRC it ends when he's won his third Worlds. I have a largish 2 story house with alot of storage so this may take awhile but I know I wouldn't have thrown it out. At some point we'll have to divulge real names because I don't want to say to my friend Barb "OH, I'd like you to meet iluvtodd!" :laugh:

Olympia, why not just go with a round passport. That would be novel!!!!

The only thing I have to say about throwing stuff on the ice is - it really, really delays the competition. Last year at Nats Smuckers was giving out these little stuffed red strawberries. They were about the size of a baseball. Oh Lord what a mess. It took forever to get them off the ice.

Yeah, thrown objects worry me even when I'm just watching on TV.

We could have an oval passport. Ovals are so elegant. But the thought of hexagons are growing on me. They have so many fascinating properties--how their angles work and whatnot.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Most toys are good visible sizes and there are usually many cuties rushing out to pick them up so I don't think they are normally a problem. If however, small objects are thrown, then it would be problematic, especially if there are not many pickers uppers around.

If hats were thrown for Patrick at Worlds, it would have been because he had won so the competition would not be delayed.

Now if Patrick actually gets his hat trick, I hope he will let Kurt have the first picks of the thrown objects. :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A further thought. We should give knighthoods. How does Sir Kurt sound? Sir Kurt and Lady Sonia.

:love: Let the dubbing begin!

If hats were thrown for Patrick at Worlds, it would have been because he had won so the competition would not be delayed.

Now if Patrick actually gets his hat trick, I hope he will let Kurt have the first picks of the thrown objects. :laugh:

I like this idea!

Noskates, you can call me Gail.

Speaking of books for pronunciation/humor, last time we were in Boston in summer 2010, I found a neat dictionary called The Boston Dictionary. It shows you how to pronounce essential Bostonian things and is enlightening about Boston & New England. It's one of those books you would want to read out loud in parts.

noskates

Record Breaker
And I'm Sue. As a pseudo-Canadian, I would LOVE to see Patrick win Worlds. As an American I would love to see Patrick win Worlds.

Olympia is in charge of designing the passport. I need to get some books on Boston before next January. I spent a day there - or about 5 hours once - but that's it. Went to Faneuil Hall and was disappointed. Parked at the Aquarium for 1 1/2 hours and it cost $27. The first couple of days of Nats are events we usually can miss so we want to see some of the sights. It's going to be very cold so our traveling around will be limited.

I wonder if Kurt will be at Worlds in any capacity. The few times he's broadcast events for US television he was awesome. Skaters always bring a different perspective to competitions. This is probably heresy but I can't stand listening to Dick Button. He's so negative. He's never gotten over the fact that a beautiful spiral isn't as important anymore as a triple/triple jump! Sandra Bezic is more interested in the story told on the ice - that no one can see but her! Peggy Fleming is..........well, vapid! At best. But Kurt could get technical but also comment on the choreography and its place in the program.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Oh dear oh dear, I've had a few glasses of wine and am feeling rather mellow! Taking some time outfrom the Virtue/Moir- Davis/White wars! I have 2 presents for you all in this thread! First up, in youtube:

http://youtu.be/bQfwBU0Elho[/URL]
Finest Kind @ Shepley Spring Festival 2011 Second to left is Ian Robb, the guy who wrote Garnet's Home Made Beer and performed in the Friends of Fiddler's Green with my husband. This is a good version of Mary Ellen Carter.

http://youtu.be/OMuRKHma3eg
Friends of Fiddler's Green- the Dogs.mp4
My husband is in 3rd shoit, on the left. A good song, especially if you've just seen the Westminster show!

Hope the links work! I'm really not very good at that!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Oh dear oh dear, I've had a few glasses of wine and am feeling rather mellow! Taking some time outfrom the Virtue/Moir- Davis/White wars! I have 2 presents for you all in this thread! First up, in youtube:

http://youtu.be/bQfwBU0Elho[/URL]
Finest Kind @ Shepley Spring Festival 2011 Second to left is Ian Robb, the guy who wrote Garnet's Home Made Beer and performed in the Friends of Fiddler's Green with my husband. This is a good version of Mary Ellen Carter.

http://youtu.be/OMuRKHma3eg
Friends of Fiddler's Green- the Dogs.mp4
My husband is in 3rd shoit, on the left. A good song, especially if you've just seen the Westminster show!

Hope the links work! I'm really not very good at that!

Shoot! Only one worked! But check both ouT!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sue, visit the Kennedy Library. If the weather was warmer, I would suggest taking a swan boat ride in the Boston Public Garden (visit it anyway :) ). Walk on the Freedom Trail. Tour the USS Constitution.

Maybe Kurt will be @ Worlds. I think the US SOI tour will be over by then, and Worlds will take place before the Canadian leg of the tour begins.

I haven't been to Boston in years, but I remember that the Old North Church is beautiful. I have a vague memory of the tour guide saying that the ceiling was constructed like the (upside-down) hull of a ship, because that's what they knew how to build.

Scrufflet, why is there a dot between the tu and the be of youtube? I've always wondered. So far I can't open the first one...drat. Will try the second one.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Scrufflet, I added the before your first link and it works as a direct link now: [url]http://youtu.be/bQfwBU0Elho

What fun, Scrufflet! I finally got to open your two videos.

A lovely lyrical rendition of The Mary Ellen Carter, and the Dog Song is very rousing.

The harmonies in the Dog Song reminds me a lot of Steeleye Span, my favorite English folk group.

(the fan-made visuals in this video are not related to Steeleye Span, but the music speaks for itself.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw7cVK8Ve9k

Last edited:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
What fun, Scrufflet! I finally got to open your two videos.

A lovely lyrical rendition of The Mary Ellen Carter, and the Dog Song is very rousing.

The harmonies in the Dog Song reminds me a lot of Steeleye Span, my favorite English folk group.

(the fan-made visuals in this video are not related to Steeleye Span, but the music speaks for itself.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw7cVK8Ve9k

What a strange video! The music I am familiar with. Seems like we have similar likes! A lot of the Brits from the old groups come through playing in different groups or solo. We are very fortunate! Battlefield Band and the Waterson's with Martin Carthy are my faves.

noskates

Record Breaker
I posted this yesterday but I guess it got lost in the server move. Anyhoo.......my fellow pseudo-Canadians, I did find the Kurt book. That's the good news. The not-so-good news is that my friend has it and has to mail it back to me. Also, it's not called Jump (that was a video he made) it's called Pushing The Edge. So as soon as it's in my hot little hands I'll let y'all know and will be glad to loan it to anyone who's interested.

Teenes

On the Ice
Dunno how I missed this thread, but for whoever said they were in CA (noskates?) - Kurt is skating in SOI in San Jose on March 3 on his last US tour. If San Jose was an easy trip for Nationals for you, then you should make the trip for this one! He's said pretty definitively it's not his last year in Canada, and he's backtracked on the last year in Japan thing but he's been pretty consistent about saying it's his last US tour. So seize the chance while you can, and see Singing in the Rain live!

(he's also doing Anaheim 3/2, chicago 3/8, and Portland, ME 3/10 for anyone in those areas)

And Kurt's biography is "Forcing the Edge". It's out of print in Canada as well, I believe.

As someone who has been lucky enough to have had many many personal interactions with Kurt (doing his website and Facebook page kind of lends itself to that), I have to say that his parents very much raised him right. From all my personal interactions and watching him interact with other fans, he is always respectful (though he certainly doesn't hesitate to tease), always friendly, and always appreciative of his fans. Sometimes he's tired or in a hurry and can't take the time that he does on other occasions, but he always does the best he can!