Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 81

Thread: Vintage Kurt

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Well, if you're going to be a groupie, Scrufflet, start at the top, with someone like Lightfoot.

    I love it, Noskates: our own country. We need to design a passport. Does it have to be rectangular?

    I love that anecdote about Kurt. I never saw his autobiography on sale here in the states. (In our country of Pseudo-Canada, of course, it would never go out of print.) It's often true that parents of kid achievers work hard to make sure their kids learn their obligations to fans. Years ago, I had the supreme good luck of getting to interview (by phone only, alas) Michelle Kwan when she was twelve and had just "promoted" herself to senior. It was for a little kids' newsletter, nothing special, and she was so new that I'm not sure anyone outside skating fandom had noticed her yet. She was just a little kid that did a nifty thing. Two or three people in our office were skate fans, so we suggested interviewing her. Afterward, she sent us a letter, handwritten, thanking us for the interview. Now, that's good parenting. No wonder she turned out the way she did.

  2. #17
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,696
    I all these stories! Thanks for the "dubbing!"

    BTW, I like the song "We Are the World," but I like "Tears Are Not Enough" (The Canadian famine relief song) even more.

    We saw Gordon in concert a few months ago @ a local theatre where people do wait outside after the concert if the weather is OK. As a (retired) teacher, I still go into my school to help out in the library and with ESL students (my specialty). One day I was in the reading room, looking @ the "Big Books" to borrow for use with elementary students. I came across a book called "The Big Fitz" (about the Edmund Fitzgerald's history & shipwreck). I asked the head reading teacher if I could borrow it so that I could take it to Gordon's concert, and show it to him. She said I was absolutely welcome to take it and keep it. She even let me have two copies! I gave one copy to Gordon after the show (I wrote him an explanation of how I was able to get it), and he & his entire back-up band autographed it for us! It doesn't mention his song, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," but that's OK. I figured he would appreciate receiving a book like this. I do have a copy of a beautifully illustrated book based on one of his signature songs (that he was commissioned to write), "The Canadian Railroad Trilogy." I took that to one of his concerts a year or two before, and he & his whole band autographed that one for us, too! Re: the Olympics - I was thrilled that he participated in the opening ceremonies of 1988 Calgary, singing his own song "Alberta Bound!" Oh, one other thing. When I first heard of Brian Orser ( ) in the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics, I was excited to learn that he was originally from Orillia, Ontario, Gordon's hometown (I knew that because of the liner notes from Gord's Gold volume 1 - 1975). That really resonated with me.
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 02-12-2013 at 06:28 AM.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Well, if you're going to be a groupie, Scrufflet, start at the top, with someone like Lightfoot.

    I love it, Noskates: our own country. We need to design a passport. Does it have to be rectangular?

    I love that anecdote about Kurt. I never saw his autobiography on sale here in the states. (In our country of Pseudo-Canada, of course, it would never go out of print.) It's often true that parents of kid achievers work hard to make sure their kids learn their obligations to fans. Years ago, I had the supreme good luck of getting to interview (by phone only, alas) Michelle Kwan when she was twelve and had just "promoted" herself to senior. It was for a little kids' newsletter, nothing special, and she was so new that I'm not sure anyone outside skating fandom had noticed her yet. She was just a little kid that did a nifty thing. Two or three people in our office were skate fans, so we suggested interviewing her. Afterward, she sent us a letter, handwritten, thanking us for the interview. Now, that's good parenting. No wonder she turned out the way she did.
    I think our passport can be any shape we want it. Are you anti-rectangular?

    Having attended many SOI's thru the years and having lived in the S.F. Bay Area during that time I had more than a couple occasions to sit next to or behind the Yamaguchis. I found them to be very approachable. Kristi's Dad is/was a dentist and her brother and sister and mother were always in the audience when she skated in Oakland or San Jose. Kristi's Mom would get so nervous when she skated - even as a pro. Very nice family.

    I'm surprised no one asked who I saw in concert in Toronto - flying from SF! He is American. Redhead. Killer voice.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    328
    [QUOTE=noskates;712435]I think our passport can be any shape we want it. Are you anti-rectangular?

    Having attended many SOI's thru the years and having lived in the S.F. Bay Area during that time I had more than a couple occasions to sit next to or behind the Yamaguchis. I found them to be very approachable. Kristi's Dad is/was a dentist and her brother and sister and mother were always in the audience when she skated in Oakland or San Jose. Kristi's Mom would get so nervous when she skated - even as a pro. Very nice family.

    I'm surprised no one asked who I saw in concert in Toronto - flying from SF! He is American. Redhead. Killer voice.[/QUOTE]

    Okay, I'll ask! An American redhead with a killer voice? I am completely blank. I really am most familiar with folk music so if it was somebody current and famous, I'm lost.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I am flummoxed as well. Give us another hint. I can't think of an American redheaded male singer. Pop? Folk? Opera? Polka?

    As for our passports, my favorite shapes are octagons and ovals.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,132
    Okayyyyyy..........tall, Southern accent. Came from a reality show but rose above it.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Okayyyyyy..........tall, Southern accent. Came from a reality show but rose above it.
    Is it Clay Atken (or Aiken)? I don't watch any reality shows except DWTS. noskates, you are a tease!

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Ooh, good thought, Scrufflet. Clay Aiken is a possibility, though I don't think of him as a redhead. He does indeed have a wonderful voice.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,132
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner folks. And yes, he IS a redhead. In fact his natural color is very red, and he has freckles everywhere (or at least as far as you can see) About 6 years ago he performed in Las Vegas at one of those Disson Christmas shows with Todd Eldredge, Sasha Cohen, etc. It was kind of fun to see my two obsessions, skating and Clay, in the same arena. At the end of the show he was skating around the rink with Sasha Cohen and it was a real "Mutt and Jeff" moment. He's 6'1" tall and she's whatever she is - short!

    But when he was in Toronto he performed at Canada Place? I think that's what it was called. Kind of an amusement park, family place? My only regret is I didn't take the time to see the city itself. My travel companion is from Louisiana and she made it back to New Orleans right before they closed the airport because of Hurricane Katrina.

    Getting back to Kurt, is anyone planning on seeing Stars on Ice this year?
    Last edited by noskates; 02-13-2013 at 07:38 PM.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner folks. And yes, he IS a redhead. In fact his natural color is very red, and he has freckles everywhere (or at least as far as you can see) About 6 years ago he performed in Las Vegas at one of those Disson Christmas shows with Todd Eldredge, Sasha Cohen, etc. It was kind of fun to see my two obsessions, skating and Clay, in the same arena. At the end of the show he was skating around the rink with Sasha Cohen and it was a real "Mutt and Jeff" moment. He's 6'1" tall and she's whatever she is - short!

    But when he was in Toronto he performed at Canada Place? I think that's what it was called. Kind of an amusement park, family place? My only regret is I didn't take the time to see the city itself. My travel companion is from Louisiana and she made it back to New Orleans right before they closed the airport because of Hurricane Katrina.

    Getting back to Kurt, is anyone planning on seeing Stars on Ice this year?
    It was probably Ontario Place, down on the waterfront. Funny I don't recall him being there.
    Yes, I am going to SOI. On-ice seats so maybe this time I will get to shake Kurt's hand! I can live and dream! I'll keep going for as long as his knees hold up!

  11. #26
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    It was probably Ontario Place, down on the waterfront. Funny I don't recall him being there.
    Yes, I am going to SOI. On-ice seats so maybe this time I will get to shake Kurt's hand! I can live and dream! I'll keep going for as long as his knees hold up!

    Scruff, you lucky ducky. I hope you do get to shake his hand, but even if you don't, getting to see him will make your hands shake more than enough anyway. May his knees have the strength of ten people's knees for many years to come, and may you get to see all his performances.
    Last edited by Olympia; 02-13-2013 at 09:59 PM.

  12. #27
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,696
    I was thinking of Clay Aiken, but wasn't sure. We attended SOI in Hershey, PA on New Year's Eve. I always bring my international flags to wave for the international skaters. So, I brought my Canadian flag for Kurt, Joannie, Shawn, and Jeff B.(just in case we happened to see him there). At the end of the Beatles' Come Together program, I waved my Canadian flag for Kurt, who was standing pretty close to our seats. Kurt saw my flag, "borrowed" it, waved it, pretended to stick it in the back pocket of his (p)leather (?) pants (the pants didn't have any pockets), and then he returned it to me.

    noskates, do spend time in Toronto! So much to do/see there - The CN Tower, attend a concert at Roy Thompson Hall (I would to see Gordon @ one of his Massey Hall concerts), the theatre (we saw "Miss Saigon" there). Ontario Place is fun in the summer. I the whole waterfront area, taking the ferry boat to the Toronto Islands, catch a baseball game at the Rogers' Centre (when we were there last, it was still called the Skydome - we toured it), The Royal Ontario Museum, the Bata Shoe Museum, the Toronto Zoo, The Ontario Science Centre, The Hockey Hall of Fame, Casa Loma, Chinatown ...
    Last edited by iluvtodd; 02-22-2013 at 05:56 AM.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,132
    iluvtodd - I would love to spend time in Toronto but it isn't financially feasible at this point. I live in California! SOI used to come to Oakland, CA every year and then it kind of moved around to San Jose or Sacramento. I live in the Sierra Foothills about 90 minutes from Sacramento and quite a ways away from Oakland or San Jose. I also have found the tickets to be ridiculously expensive. I kind of stopped making the effort when Kurt was only skating SOI in some cities. and none of them were close to me. He was the "draw" for me! Quite honestly there were some skaters who I was just very, very tired of watching. And the tour didn't attract the headliners as much as it used to.

    BUT - I am going to Nationals in Boston next year! Can hardly wait since it's an Olympic year. Went to Nationals in San Jose last year, which was an easy trip. Figure skating is just getting wayyyyyyyyyy too expensive though.

    If I can find "Jump" I would be glad to loan it to anyone. I'll post in here if I find the book. I've moved a couple of times since I read it and it could be anywhere.

  14. #29
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    138
    I'm going to SOI too, but will be in the relatively cheap seats. I have sat in Ice Seats and really loved the experience , but it was chilly round the feet.

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Coriana, I haven't seen you around before. Welcome to GS! Have fun at SOI, and take notes so you can tell us about it. (That goes for you as well, Scrufflet!)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •