To Skate or Not to Skate at Sochi | Golden Skate

To Skate or Not to Skate at Sochi

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Should the "old guys" be allowed to return to skate at the Olympics in Sochi? I know Plushenko is looking to return but I also heard Todd Eldredge make a case for a comeback as well. Really? I am not so sure this is wise. I think once skaters have had a good run at the Olympics and have since left the competitive scene of the skating world that should be it. Let the new skaters have a fair chance. Anyway that is my opinion, so debate away! :biggrin:

starryxskies

On the Ice
Well that's ridiculous. You can't "disallow" anyone to not participate given they make the team. The decision should be based on their own mental preparedness. If they can achieve the standard of the field, I don't see why not.

I mentioned Evan should evaluate if he's able to keep up with the field. If he can, by all means go for it but if he's not even able be a contender then I think he should pack his bags and go home to his Vancouver gold medal. Better to end well than to be remembered for a bad comeback.

For Pushenko, if he thinks injury and more medals are worth it and he's able to keep up, then I don't see what the problem is.

Basically I think it fair but they should only go for it if they can be real contenders or else it's not worth it to tarnish reputation

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Let the new skaters have a fair chance.

They do have a fair chance.

Plushenko goes to Nationals. He puts himself out there for the younger guys to beat or match. They can't. Nothing unfair about that.

If Lysacek came to Nationals, and the new skaters couldn't beat him, that's their problem, not his.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know Plushenko is looking to return but I also heard Todd Eldredge make a case for a comeback as well.

Ladskater, are you saying that Todd is hinting @ a comeback now, or you referring to his return to Olympic eligible competition from 2000 - 2002? He did take off two seasons from competing @ US Nationals, but did skate @ least one GP event during his time off. Whatever the case, he kept up his skills, and learned the quad (yeah, I know it wasn't a consistent jump for him in competition). He was also fortunate that back then, there were opportunities to skate in the pro-ams (Masters of Figure Skating, The Japan Open, the Canadian Open, etc.). I would be stunned if he were to reinstate now, but, IMHO, he never really left back then. I do feel he absolutely earned his way back to Worlds & Olympics for 2001 & 2002.

While I generally believe in giving the younger skaters the chance to shine, if an older skater earns his/her way on the team, then he/she has a right to go. It's not always just about medals.

The Olympic Moto is Faster, Higher, Stronger, it does not iclude Younger.

A great way to put it, Seniorita!

Ladskater, I think things are fair as they stand. If a skater is good enough, he or she deserves a spot on the team in whatever ranking his or her score would designate. The standards are the same for everyone.

My goodness, Russia is down to one spot for male skaters in Worlds. If there's a skater in Russia who has the chops to do well on the world stage and gain his country a second spot, I say go for it. (My one worry about Plushenko specifically is whether it endangers his health, so I mention that as a caveat in his case. I mean, they rebuilt one of his spinal discs! That makes skating sound like a very bad idea for him. While I'd love to see him medal at Sochi, I'd far prefer hearing about him dancing at his children's weddings years from now.)

As for the U.S., if Lysacek were still good enough even to make it to fourth or fifth place in the world rankings, we should be so lucky as to have him on our team. Such a skater wouldn't be taking some other American's place. In fact, just the opposite: he'd probably be earning another spot for the U.S. for the following year. Alas, this year it didn't turn out to be something Lysacek was capable of, but if he had been able to pull it off, I'd have cheered him on.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt it. I *think* Ladskater is referring to Todd competing @ the 2002 SLC Olympics. Waiting for confirmation on that.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
If you've got the goods to make the team go for it. Granted there are some "retired" skaters I could do without seeing ever again, but if they are good enough to make the team then they deserve to go.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
If you've got the goods to make the team go for it. Granted there are some "retired" skaters I could do without seeing ever again, but if they are good enough to make the team then they deserve to go.
Exactly so. Also, what seniorita said.

Todd Eldredge is thinking of coming back for Sochi?! That's the first I've heard of this..
He's going to skate pairs with Michelle Kwan.

>giggle<

What a great image that conjures up. (And in my heart of hearts, I wish you were right about this, Buttercup!)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Todd Eldredge is thinking of coming back for Sochi?! That's the first I've heard of this..

to dream the impossible dream. Delusional. it is time to move on sometimes; Plushenko at least shows some ability to compete though the surgery is scarey.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm totally in favor of a Michelle/Todd pairs team!

Heck, considering my low opinion of the status of pairs skating worldwide, I think they could be medal contenders!:laugh:

Only downside: they would jump & spin in opposite directions, wouldn't they? Isn't Todd a lefty? I've never been a huge fan of that particular dynamic, although Yamaguchi/Galindo found ways to make it work... for example their pairs spiral transition into mirror double axels. Still one of my favorite pairs moves ever.

bibi24

Final Flight
So is Eldredge coming back or not?

May we ask for confirmation of your source Ladskater?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
As long as they get no special consideration for their past results and are only taking something away from younger skaters IF they truly earn and deserve it then older skaters continuing past their best before date is fine. It is their life to waste. Of course there are times it becomes so pitiful it is almost unbearable to watch like Suguri, or potentially long term damaging to ones own body with almost no chance of getting the reward in return to make it worthwhile like Plushenko.

Personally I think Lysacek, Plushenko, and Weir are all stupid to come back as they have no chance of coming close to their former success, and only Plushenko might have a shot to win a medal of some kind at the Games (a very outside shot of a individual bronze or a real shot of a team medal) , but in his case he is the one who is risking long term damage to his body. However it is their lives to waste. I dont think Evan is even planning a comeback though, and it is just a big PR BS stunt like Liukin in 2010, and even then I dont think it is worthwhile as he is giving up lots of money on Stars on Ice to supposably prepare for competitions that never happen.