2013 4cc Free Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2013 4cc Free Dance

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
First of all, I'm not referring to you. Secondly, I wouldn't call myself a fan if I do not show any concern when my players are in pain/trouble.(Now I'm referring to you.) Who cares about the damn silver medal?

Well excuuuuuse me no need to get angry with me.

figuristka

Medalist
Paying so much attention to what happend with V/M i never realized G/P were 3rd in the Free. They are exciting and flamboyant and i do think he has strong skating skills but i thought the Shibs are stronger skaters overall. C/B i would have to watch.

Trewyn

Medalist
I don't watch a lot of ice dance, and I couldn't care less who becomes world champion this year, V/M or D/W. But this was a pretty shocking result. There is no way V/M should have been that close to D/W. Even without the interruption, they were pretty off performance-wise all through the program, otoh D/W gave everything they had. I agree with the people shouting "overmarked" and "dangerous precedent".

vera01

Final Flight
I don't watch a lot of ice dance, and I couldn't care less who becomes world champion this year, V/M or D/W. But this was a pretty shocking result. There is no way V/M should have been that close to D/W. Even without the interruption, they were pretty off performance-wise all through the program, otoh D/W gave everything they had. I agree with the people shouting "overmarked" and "dangerous precedent".

I agree that V/M's FD score should've been lower. Therefore, their total score should've been only slightly lower than the total score they received. Their SD was amazing.

GF2445

Record Breaker
Before we start accusing virtue and of cheating, let's wait for an official statement to be released. I doubt that they purposefully stopped to 'take a breather.' Tessa actually looked quite sick.

About the lift, Scott did not actually lift Tessa up on the combo lift. When you watch it again, you'll see that Tessa's feet were firmly on the ice. If Scott was able to lift Tessa up, but then they stopped, that combo lift would not have counted. Because of that they were allowed to attempt again.

Also there is a difference between stopping due to an injury/medical timeout and interruption in excess. An interruption deduction only happens when a skater makes an error such as a fall and fails to return to the program quickly enough. Calling timeout is not considered interruption in excess so that's why virtue and moir did not get deducted.

Last edited:

icefan1005

Rinkside
Before we start accusing virtue and of cheating, let's wait for an official statement to be released. I doubt that they purposefully stopped to 'take a breather.' Tessa actually looked quite sick.

About the lift, Scott did not actually lift Tessa up on the combo lift. When you watch it again, you'll see that Tessa's feet were firmly on the ice. If Scott was able to lift Tessa up, but then they stopped, that combo lift would not have counted. Because of that they were allowed to attempt again.

Also there is a difference between stopping due to an injury/medical timeout and interruption in excess. An interruption deduction only happens when a skater makes an error such as a fall and fails to return to the program quickly enough. Calling timeout is not considered interruption in excess so that's why virtue and moir did not get deducted.

Yes, I think that's why they were allowed to restart with the lift.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 187.36 Free Dance
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 184.32 Free Dance
3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 160.42
4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 159.97
5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 157.83
6. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 139.10
7. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 131.04
8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 123.88
9. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 108.82
10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 107.02
11. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 105.56
12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 89.80
13. Pilar MAEKAWA & Leonardo MAEKAWA (MEX) - 85.02

Last edited:

leafygreens

Final Flight
It means by some strange coincidence when D/W have an amazing skate and V/M skate right after them Tessa gets sick.

Yeah. So D/W's wins are tarnished because they didn't beat a "clean" V/M.

Just curious what the penalty would be if every team decided to take a break in the middle of their program.

These events could be interpreted as a demonstration of the effects of competition pressure. D/W again demonstrated that they are the most consistent competitors in putting out skates that could win any world championship. They seem to do it nearly every time. V/M, for whatever reasons that are known, always seem to have seasons where they are developing a program and peaking with a full-potential program later in the seasons for the "big" competitions.

The scores D/W received were huge and better than what V/M had previously received. They had little experience skating that perfect Carmen program in competition this season. It is still in development. I am sure that after that D/W skate, it caused nerves and anxiety in V/M. She could have had a "panic attack" or enough anxiety to cause her to breath incorrectly during the skating, causing hyperventiltion or shortness of breath.

It looks to me that she simply, as described above, choked.

Now let's discuss.

Exactly. They are pulling a Tonya Harding (self-sabotage).

Last edited:

icefan1005

Rinkside
Yeah. So D/W's wins are tarnished because they didn't beat a "clean" V/M.

Just curious what the penalty would be if every team decided to take a break in the middle of their program.

Exactly. They are pulling a Tonya Harding (self-sabotage).

We don't really know what happened though. Tessa looked like she was gonna pass out, which would be worse. And don't worry your heart, D/W still won.

leafygreens

Final Flight
We don't really know what happened though. Tessa looked like she was gonna pass out, which would be worse. And don't worry your heart, D/W still won.

D/W won against V/M with a break. This is to condition the judging community that when V/M doesn't stop, they should beat D/W.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
And when is a competition NOT close between these two? That's why it is one of the best rivalries in any sport. So can we please keep the childish taunts off the board? It tarnishes the entire discussion.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just caught the top two on YouTube. Stunning performance by D/W.

Filtering out the "pause," I still enjoyed V/M's FD more than I have in previous competitions.

The WC will be extremely important for V/M, from a sports psychology point of view. Win or lose, they've got to skate lights out... or D/W will "have their number."

edge1

Spectator

I just watched the V/M FD, and im so disappointed in the judging. Its one thing if theres a malfunction of sorts, but with all the team fighting hard through programs, they should have been deducted significantly, makes a joke out of the sport. She looked out of breath!!!

Cant wait for the two top teams to move on, seems like they could do no wrong, ever!