2013 4cc Free Dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 4cc Free Dance

Brenda

On the Ice
But the officials allowing them to restart (and count the lift) sets a dangerous precedent IF the reason is that Tessa was so out of breath she could not continue. (and I don't doubt that reason, it was clear how physically affected she was)...

What's the line between this and a skater knowingly packing four quads in a minute leaving him completely legitimately out of breath and physically unable to continue, then stopping and restarting after catching his breath for two minutes knowing its a valid reason? Skaters arrange jumps throughout the program and have obvious choreographic "resting" spots so they have the endurance for the 4-4.5 minute program. I think someone (maybe Plushenko?) said that a quad-quad combo in competition was possible if a program only lasted a minute, or something like that.

figureskate

On the Ice
D/W never had a same situation, so we don't know if judges are just being generous to V/M or if that lift actually counts.

I'm not sure about other dancers-did any other dancers had to face similar situation before?

if this is about my previous post, I was referring to Shibs at COR

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ISU rules regarding a restart

ISU rules regarding a restart (emphases added):

3. If a Competitor gets injured during the performance or another adverse condition related to him or his equipment (such as health problems or unexpected damage to his/their clothing or equipment) impedes his/their skating, the Competitor/s must stop skating. If he/they don’t stop, they will be ordered to do so by an acoustic signal of the Referee. The Competitor/s shall continue from the point of interruption immediately, if the adverse condition can be remedied without delay. If this is not possible, the Referee will allow an up to three (3) minutes period for the Competitor/s to resume skating from the point of interruption. This time period commences immediately after the Competitor/s stops skating or is ordered to do so by the Referee, whichever is earlier.
If the Competitor/s does not resume skating his/their program within the three minutes period, he/she shall be considered withdrawn.
The point from where the Competitor/s has to continue the program shall be decided and communicated to the Judges and the Technical Panel by the Referee.

6. With respect to adverse conditions related to a Competitor or his equipment, only one restart per program is allowed. In case of a second stop of the performance due to an adverse condition related to the Competitor/s or his/their equipment, the Competitor/s concerned shall be considered withdrawn.

7. If Competitor/s do not complete the program, no marks are awarded and the Competitor/s is/are withdrawn.

Source: pp. 108-109 at the link below
http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-206192-223415-177357-0-file,00.pdf

Last edited:

icefan1005

Rinkside
From what I could tell, Scott didn't lift Tessa off of the ice before they stopped, so the lift hadn't actually begun yet. As far as I know, you need to begin the entry for it to count as an attempted element. When they stopped they were simply skating on two feet, so I think the re-start was fair.

D/W skated lights out, and deserved the win. I think V/M have a better program overall, but they didn't deserve the win with the interruption, and they didn't get it. It all seems fair to me. I'm just glad Tessa seemed to be OK at the end. Wouldn't want anyone hurt before worlds.

What I'm still scratching my head about is Gilles/Poirier. Where did the 97 point come from?? :confused:

The judges really love Poirier for some reason.

But the officials allowing them to restart (and count the lift) sets a dangerous precedent IF the reason is that Tessa was so out of breath she could not continue. (and I don't doubt that reason, it was clear how physically affected she was)...

What's the line between this and a skater knowingly packing four quads in a minute leaving him completely legitimately out of breath and physically unable to continue, then stopping and restarting after catching his breath for two minutes knowing its a valid reason? Skaters arrange jumps throughout the program and have obvious choreographic "resting" spots so they have the endurance for the 4-4.5 minute program. I think someone (maybe Plushenko?) said that a quad-quad combo in competition was possible if a program only lasted a minute, or something like that.

Yes, it's setting a dangerous precedent.

sather

Rinkside
I don't think there was any failed attempt of the lift before the stop because I thought they were doing nothing on the ice after the step. I'm quite sure that Tessa knew she couldn't do the lift and didn't even tried it but to be certain I'll wait for the youtube.

Last edited:
The judges really love Poirier for some reason.

There's plenty of reasons to love him. He's one of the strongest male ice dancers out there.

The problem is that Gilles is nowhere near his level yet.

I don't think there was any failed attempt of the lift before the stop because I thought they were doing nothing on the ice after the step. I'm quite sure that Tessa knew she couldn't do the lift and didn't even tried but to be certain I'll wait for the youtube.

He went into the spread eagle position, she moved so she stood face-to-face with him, he reached out to her ready to lift her up.

But my point is not that the lift should have been called at that point. It shouldn't have been because it didn't go up.

The point is that they kept on skating for a while and stopped.

And then they were allowed to restart the program not from the point where they stopped skating but from an earlier point. Before that lift.

That's what isn't fair.

not even a deduction for program interruption? * suspicious*

There are no deductions for program interruptions.

Brenda

On the Ice
I don't think there was any failed attempt of the lift before the stop because I thought they were doing nothing on the ice after the step. I'm quite sure that Tessa knew she couldn't do the lift and didn't even tried but to be certain I'll wait for the youtube.

They were gliding in an embrace and talking to/looking at each other. My problem with the restarted lift is that while they were gliding after the non-lift, it also looked like some of the simple romantic choreography skaters sometimes do. The program didn't necessarily look "interrupted" until quite a few seconds after the non-lift, unless you knew the choreography well.
They could have stopped on a dime and talked it out or gone to the judges immediately.

Does anyone know why C/B got such a low score? I was expecting at least a 99. Was there a penalty of some sort?

The protocols have been linked to like three times already. :p

They could have stopped on a dime and talked it out or gone to the judges immediately.

And this is another thing. It took them a very long time to actually stop skating and walk to the referee.

And then they restart from a point, like 10 seconds before they stopped skating if not not more.

sather

Rinkside
But my point is not that the lift should have been called at that point. It shouldn't have been because it didn't go up.

The point is that they kept on skating for a while and stopped.

And then they were allowed to restart the program not from the point where they stopped skating but from an earlier point. Before that lift.

That's what isn't fair.

oh.... right.... I get it. They didn't do the lift but it looked like they were trying to continue the program after not doing it for the short moment. :think: