Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 4cc Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    FWIW:
    Tennis has a rule allowing for medical time-outs, doesn't it?
    I think the legal break is several minutes long (don't know exactly), during which a trainer is permitted to attend to cramping (or whatever ails the player).
    Just sayin'.
    And I'm pretty sure that tennis players at the very top of the sport have been known to take such time-outs when necessary.
    This is not relevant at all. Tennis games take a lot more time with a lot more stops in general and it takes more than one game to win a tournament. The ISU rule on this issue is not really clear and needs to be addressed again before Sochi.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-10-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fix quote html

Medalist
    Wow, what a shock. Nothing looked visibly wrong but since they flat out stopped, I didn't expect them to actually continue. I figure if it was that serious, they would just withdraw like last time so it does make things suspicious that they were able to continue (and without a hitch) after just a few minutes of "resting."

The conspiracy theories are unnecessary though--no skater wants to interrupt their program like that. To do so can only mean that something very serious happened.

Tough break for VM but I feel bad for DW too. They're trying to show that they can beat VM when they're clean, healthy and do a 4 min program without interruption. It kinda sucks that their wins seem to come only with asterisks on VM making a major mistake or having an injury or some other hiccup like here.

We need to see clean, healthy athletes do their best when it counts! And then let the judges botch it up as usual. But that's ice dancing, isn't it? Hehe

Congrats to DW... that was the best outing of Notre Dame so far. Keep on climbing!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Thank you for posting the rule. It seems clear that this rule is in effect to protect the skaters, and that's a very good thing. However, the holes are large enough to drive a truck through.

"Injury" seems pretty clear. Suppose a skater cuts the hand while doing a catch-foot move and is bleeding visibly. It seems reasonable under the rule that a stoppage would be allowed without penalty. "Equipment" would seem to be "skates" as I can think of no other equipment a skater would need... so why don't they say that? Isn't there another rule addressing wardrobe malfunctions?
    And what exactly is the "health problem"? Scott skated over to the judges and asked to re-start. Where did he explain the health problem?

A leg cramp at two different 4CC's? Not buying it.

So, does "Carmen" put a stop to the old argument that D/W skate to "easier, well-known music" and V/M skate to "difficult, more obscure music"?

Ryan Pyette ‏@RyanatLFPress
    Cramp in the leg isn't usually much to worry about, but Tessa Virtue has proven a warrior who doesn't stop for minor pain.
    10:18 AM - 10 Feb 13
    But she did stop?

And yet Charlie keeps going, with asthma, no excuses there...
    Last edited by leafygreens; 02-10-2013 at 03:28 PM.

Rinkside

Custom Title
    This incident is going to prompt some rule changes next year. It's pretty obvious this is going to be set up as an example.

I'm glad to hear Tessa is doing ok. It was probably do to nerves. Sometimes when you get nervous your muscles tense up a bit. It's like having a panic attack and your body goes into shock.

The Shibutanis should have been third at the very least. What a lyrical and artistic FD. This is a cornerstone for them I feel. This is probably the first time I have seen them truly connect to their music. Lovely indeed.

Gilles & Poirier flashy, powerful, speedy, exciting, etc... etc. I predict a top six finish at world. I really can see this happening.

Rinkside
    It's odd that Tessa didn't look to be favoring her leg, or even rub or massage her leg at all during the break. Or am I missing something? If she was cramping, it doesn't look like it was too severe.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    And what exactly is the "health problem"? Scott skated over to the judges and asked to re-start. Where did he explain the health problem?

A leg cramp at two different 4CC's? Not buying it.

So, does "Carmen" put a stop to the old argument that D/W skate to "easier, well-known music" and V/M skate to "difficult, more obscure music"?

But she did stop?

And yet Charlie keeps going, with asthma, no excuses there...
    Don't think Charlie was stuck in a wheelchair like Tessa was in '09 & had to have rehabilitation to learn how to walk again. You really can't compare Tessa's CECS & Charlie's athsma. They're both different conditions that require different kinds of treatment. It could be that her cramps flare up now & then; we don't really know the extent of her condition right now.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by hitchem View Post
    It's odd that Tessa didn't look to be favoring her leg, or even rub or massage her leg at all during the break. Or am I missing something? If she was cramping, it doesn't look like it was too severe.
    She was kinda favoring her left leg then removed her skates at the KnC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icefan1005 View Post
    I agree! We don't really know what happened though since some fans think think it was Scott who had a problem.
    Where the lift was to have come, they got into position, then Scott was gesturing with his left hand, as if he had a cramp and wasn't able to have enough power in that hand to do the lift. He was also flexing that left hand over and over on the podium.

I don't think Tessa was having trouble breathing, I think it was Scott's hand that was the problem.

Custom Title
    FWIW:
    Tennis has a rule allowing for medical time-outs, doesn't it?
    I think the legal break is several minutes long (don't know exactly), during which a trainer is permitted to attend to cramping (or whatever ails the player).
    Just sayin'.
    And I'm pretty sure that tennis players at the very top of the sport have been known to take such time-outs when necessary.
    Tennis players at the very top of the sport do take medical time-outs, but not without controversy. At the 2012 US Open, Novak Djokovic was down 2-5 in the decisive fifth set to Andy Murray when he decided to take a medical time-out, stopping play when Murray was one _game_ away from winning (and I believe it was Murray's turn to serve next, and it was very likely that he would win the next game and thus the tournament). Fans were livid at the medical time-out--they thought it was unsportsmanlike to delay Murray's inevitable victory--and Djokovic was heartily booed (which seemed to not fluster him a bit).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icefan1005 View Post
    Don't think Charlie was stuck in a wheelchair like Tessa was in '09 & had to have rehabilitation to learn how to walk again. You really can't compare Tessa's CECS & Charlie's athsma. They're both different conditions that require different kinds of treatment. It could be that her cramps flare up now & then; we don't really know the extent of her condition right now.
    I agree that they are two completely medical issues and to attempt to compare which one affects a skater more would be silly. However, both are conditions that are "severe" an require a lot of work for an athlete to learn to deal with. Tessa has had 2 surgeries now, she's dealt with flare-ups, and i know that it's been a battle for her (and Scott) to get to where they are now b/c of her condition...i'm sure she knows when she needs to lighten up on training or what she can push through (or at least she should by this point), but I'm just surprised that after all these years when she has skated through the pain, they stopped a program...if this a flare-up/issue that started due to over-training they should have withdrawn. otherwise i would have preferred that they skate through it (albeit with a probably sub-par skate). This is where I think you can make the comparison about a cramping and breathing issues...a break becomes an obvious benefit to the skater. Of course we don't know Tessa's full situation right now, but she's been competing long enough that she should be able to tell if she be competing or resting. side note - i'm just surprised that she did not rub/massage her legs during the break...she took off her skates in the KnC, but she does often enough that i wasn't surprised (it helps relieve the pressure a lot faster) so to me as a audience member nothing is out of the ordinary. so i'm still slightly skeptical and more convinced that it was Scott's decision to stop...the two of them are known to verbally communicate to each during their skates (in think in part due to Tessa's condition), but it just looked like Tessa was ready to go in the lift, but Scott wasn't...

It'll be interesting to see how these two teams match up at worlds. they really are a step above, but right now, i give D/W the advantage.
    Last edited by icebeauty; 02-10-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeauty View Post
    I agree that they are two completely medical issues and to attempt to compare which one affects a skater more would be silly. However, both are conditions that are "severe" an require a lot of work for an athlete to learn to deal with. Tessa has had 2 surgeries now, she's dealt with flare-ups, and i know that it's been a battle for her (and Scott) to get to where they are now b/c of her condition...i'm sure she knows when she needs to lighten up on training or what she can push through (or at least she should by this point), but I'm just surprised that after all these years when she has skated through the pain, they stopped a program...if this a flare-up/issue that started due to over-training they should have withdrawn. otherwise i would have preferred that they skate through it (albeit with a probably sub-par skate). This is where I think you can make the comparison about a cramping and breathing issues...a break becomes an obvious benefit to the skater. Of course we don't know Tessa's full situation right now, but she's been competing long enough that she should be able to tell if she be competing or resting. side note - i'm just surprised that she did not rub/massage her legs during the break...she took off her skates in the KnC, but she does often enough that i wasn't surprised (it helps relieve the pressure a lot faster) so to me as a audience member nothing is out of the ordinary. so i'm still slightly skeptical and more convinced that it was Scott's decision to stop...the two of them are known to verbally communicate to each during their skates (in think in part due to Tessa's condition), but it just looked like Tessa was ready to go in the lift, but Scott wasn't...

It'll be interesting to see how these two teams match up at worlds. they really are a step above, but right now, i give D/W the advantage.

so knowing all that tessa's been through with her legs and how devastating it can get, you'd rather her just push through it -- skate while injured and make it worse? if she's injured, she's entitled to stop and regroup because the point isn't to skate a full but subpar program and make a few fans happy but to actually protect her legs and the rest of the season.

Custom Title
    If the problem IS Tessa's legs and she feels a need to rest mid-FD, then V/M will have to accept that they will get lower PCS scores than they would if they gave an ininterrupted performance. Judges aren't going to give them 'pity points' to boost them up over their competitors.

I am not convinced, however, that Tessa was having the problem. I thought it was Scott's hand.

Custom Title
    His butt?????????????????LMAO

Custom Title

I surrender!

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast