Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: 2013 4cc Free Dance

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://www.freep.com/article/2013021...TS18/302110096

The Detroit Free Press has an article on 4cc's that includes a nice photo of Meryl & Charlie.

Rinkside
    Those who are skeptical about the authenticity of Tessa Virtue's leg cramps are absolutely right. Few people are aware of this, but Virtue and Moir are part of the, "Evil Kanadian Konspiracy," which I believe has been mentioned on Golden Skate before.

Even though they skated quite well in the SD, they were so afraid of losing to Davis and White that they fabricated this pathetic incident in order to give themselves an excuse for losing. I'm surprised they didn't do this at last years 4CC's as that is the sort of thing that, "Evil Kanadian Konspirators do!!"

Virtue and Moir do not have a chance of winning this season's Worlds in spite of the Canadian venue. For one thing there is no Canadian judge on the panel and what happened here at 4CC's will hurt thier reputation. Another consideration is since last season they have not been given credit for thier beautiful lines. By lines I mean leg lines (which include leg extenstions, turn out and toe point) general body lines, and positions in the lifts. Thier expertise in this area used to result in high component marks and helped win them thier medals.

The realization of this unpleasant change probably caused Scott Moir's outburst at the Grand Prix last year. They would have been aware that no other dancers had surpassed them in this aspect of skating (particularely leg lines) so I can understand them being upset, but that is no excuse for the gamesmanship displayed here at 4CC's. The criteria for dance is obviously not the same and most judges no longer prize the qualities that once were so important. Virtue and Moir should just suck it up.

However, I'm concerned that this situation may drive them to desperation, especially as Worlds is in thier home town. They might try to persuade thier fellow, "Evil Kanadian Konspirators," to put something in the judges drinks as they certainly won't get really good marks otherwise. This may sound excessive, but remember there is almost nothing, "Evil Kanadian Konspirators won't do!!"

^^^^^^
    This is an international forum. Many people have English as a 2nd or 3rd language. I can tell you that humor and irony, particularly when not indicated with the emoticon or the emoticon have a likelihood of being taken at face value by quite a few posters.

So if you don't want people to think you really believe that stuff, you need to say, "This is a Joke."

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    [url]

The Detroit Free Press has an article on 4cc's that includes a nice photo of Meryl & Charlie.

Well, a big photo, anyway. My girl Meryl looks like she is about to be carted off to the insane asylum.

By the way, the Free Press has a new figure skating columnist now, since the departure of Jo-Ann Barnas. Jeff Seidel is a general sports colunist who covers all local sports, but he got up to speed in figure skating pretty fast.

What happened to Jo-Ann Barnas?

Isn't Esmeralda burned to death as a witch in Notre Dame du Paris? Meryl is supposed to look like that

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    What happened to Jo-Ann Barnas?

Isn't Esmeralda burned to death as a witch in Notre Dame du Paris? Meryl is supposed to look like that
    Jo-Ann Barnas had to leave Freep because her husband got a new job in Indianapolis.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    That didn't bother me. I hate how they always shove a camera in the skater's face, especially in this case when something was clearly wrong.

Well, it made it look like he was trying to hide something. If he was telling his coaches, tessa had a leg cramp why would he mind that being heard. Strange too that he did all the talking. Gave the appearance he was the one having trouble, not her.

I did a quick timing of the length of the delay and it seems to me it exceeded that allowed. I guess I must be wrong about this, but for them to get a 9.25
    on PE leaves me
    Last edited by Icey; 02-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Custom Title
    I wonder who came up with the leg excuse, Scott or their public relations team...... After D/W finished their program I instantly had a gut feeling V/M would pull out of the competition. I have never seen such a loud ovation for an ice dance performance than the one D/W received after their free dance. V/M saw that too.

^^^^^^
    Ovations for Torvill & Dean were like that. And Tessa and Scott have had some great standing ovations, too.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    I have never seen such a loud ovation for an ice dance performance than the one D/W received after their free dance. V/M saw that too.
    indeed. Davis and White put out an olympic-quality skate (with so many changes since Nats!). The chemistry and connection rivaled Virtue and Moir.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    Because Moir always, always thinks he should win. He certainly didn't want to lose twice to D&W going into worlds. If they lost points on that lift, he knew he would surely lose. Better to stop lift altogether and restart. I guess I'm cynical, but then I do know a little bit of how Moir thinks.
    Huh? It was VERY obvious that Moir was egging her on to keep going. He did not want to stop. He started to do the choreo bit at the change of music but she didn't do it. She was very clearly in some sort of pain, whether it cramps or something else. It was very obvious by how he was moving that he wanted to push through the program and not stop.

For the record, I think it's extremely unprofessional for KKonas as a member of the media to post things like this on a message board.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Jo-Ann Barnas had to leave Freep because her husband got a new job in Indianapolis.
    This reminds me - has anyone else found it odd that she left Freep directly after publishing the article that revealed the Shpilband Zoueva split? That article was edited a few times and I got the sense that some of the people involved were furious with her for publishing it. She may have been burning her bridges, accidentally or not.

Her husband just happening to find a new job always struck me as remarkable timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple Pi View Post
    This reminds me - has anyone else found it odd that she left Freep directly after publishing the article that revealed the Shpilband Zoueva split? That article was edited a few times and I got the sense that some of the people involved were furious with her for publishing it. She may have been burning her bridges, accidentally or not.

Her husband just happening to find a new job always struck me as remarkable timing.
    No, not really. The fact is that whole incident was a big ball of confusion and Barnes had little choice but to keep editing it as the story kept changing. Barnes, in fact did a smart thing by attributing everything to specific people. Shpiband and Zoueva can't be that mad at Joann because basically it was the rink director who spilled the beans, albeit incorrectly.

Besides figure skating isn't the only sport she covers, so it doesn't make sense for her to leave over one story.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Pi View Post

Barnas did not leave Freep "directly" after breaking the news of the Team Canton split -- in the spring of 2012.

Around the time of the Canton split, the newspaper in Indianapolis coincidentally happened to announce that it had chosen her husband as its new top editor (a big deal in print journalism and a big career move for him that clearly had nothing to do with skating).

Barnas did not leave Freep until several months later. If I am not mistaken, a major beat of hers included all Olympic sports (a much broader portfolio than figure skating) and she was one of the Freep's main reporters covering the Summer Games in London.
    Last edited by golden411; 02-11-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Barnas did not leave Freep "directly" after breaking the news of the Team Canton split -- in the spring of 2012.

Around the time of the Canton split, the newspaper in Indianapolis coincidentally happened to announce that it had chosen her husband as its new top editor (a big deal in print journalism and a big career move for him that clearly had nothing to do with skating).

Barnas did not leave Freep until several months later. If I am not mistaken, a major beat of hers included all Olympic sports (a much broader portfolio than figure skating) and she was one of the Freep's main reporters covering the Summer Games in London.
    Right: http://www.freep.com/article/2012061...is-Star-editor

He was senior managing editor at Freep. Also Freep and Indianapolis Star are sister papers (owned by Gannett, which is owner of USA Today), so it makes sense that they chose someone already in the leadership pipeline.

Also: http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...t_a_tough_time
    "Jeff is a huge loss for the Free Press," said longtime reporter Jim Schaefer. "He's one of those editors who puts very important journalism first on his list, and all the other headaches about this struggling industry second.

"Plus, he'd been in the trenches, and that means credibility with the troops."

Taylor's loss is actually a double-whammy for the paper because Taylor is married to Jo-Ann Barnas, a graceful feature writer who also covers Olympic sports for the sports department.
    FWIW, Jo-Ann still tweets about figure skating from time to time: https://twitter.com/JoAnnBarnas

Just saw this: Glad to see a mega Michigan-based company supporting a Michigan-based ice dance team #teamusa: http://newsroom.kelloggcompany.com/2...m-USA-Athletes

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast