Paying so much attention to what happend with V/M i never realized G/P were 3rd in the Free. They are exciting and flamboyant and i do think he has strong skating skills but i thought the Shibs are stronger skaters overall. C/B i would have to watch.
I don't watch a lot of ice dance, and I couldn't care less who becomes world champion this year, V/M or D/W. But this was a pretty shocking result. There is no way V/M should have been that close to D/W. Even without the interruption, they were pretty off performance-wise all through the program, otoh D/W gave everything they had. I agree with the people shouting "overmarked" and "dangerous precedent".
Before we start accusing virtue and of cheating, let's wait for an official statement to be released. I doubt that they purposefully stopped to 'take a breather.' Tessa actually looked quite sick.
About the lift, Scott did not actually lift Tessa up on the combo lift. When you watch it again, you'll see that Tessa's feet were firmly on the ice. If Scott was able to lift Tessa up, but then they stopped, that combo lift would not have counted. Because of that they were allowed to attempt again.
Also there is a difference between stopping due to an injury/medical timeout and interruption in excess. An interruption deduction only happens when a skater makes an error such as a fall and fails to return to the program quickly enough. Calling timeout is not considered interruption in excess so that's why virtue and moir did not get deducted.
Last edited by GF2445; 02-10-2013 at 09:38 AM.
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS
1. Meryl DAVIS & Charlie WHITE (USA) - 187.36 Free Dance
2. Tessa VIRTUE & Scott MOIR (CAN) - 184.32 Free Dance
3. Madison CHOCK & Evan BATES (USA) - 160.42
4. Maia SHIBUTANI & Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 159.97
5. Piper GILLES & Paul POIRIER (CAN) - 157.83
6. Nicole ORFORD & Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) - 139.10
7. Cathy REED & Chris REED (JPN) - 131.04
8. Danielle OBRIEN & Gregory MERRIMAN (AUS) - 123.88
9. Xiaoyang YU & Chen WANG (CHN) - 108.82
10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 107.02
11. Emi HIRAI & Marien DE LA ASUNCION (JPN) - 105.56
12. Bryna OI & Taiyo MIZUTANI (JPN) - 89.80
13. Pilar MAEKAWA & Leonardo MAEKAWA (MEX) - 85.02
Last edited by Mao88; 02-10-2013 at 10:16 AM.
Just curious what the penalty would be if every team decided to take a break in the middle of their program.
Last edited by leafygreens; 02-10-2013 at 10:07 AM.
v/m free dance video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEJKyFoNSo not sure it's been posted already
^^ simultaneous posting
Last edited by figureskate; 02-10-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Thats the only way D and W should win as they are inferior in every way: