Davis & White to regain World title? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Davis & White to regain World title?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Well not everyone can be so brave and daring as to skate to Carmen. :sarcasm:

Also, I am pretty sure Zoueva has picked the music for both teams for next year. There have been muliple quotes from her that she has had these programs planned for some time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think that's true. The question will be whether she can convince the teams, who are not kids any more, to skate to them.

This year she wanted D&W to do Sinatra :eek: That didn't happen :) for example.

I expect both teams to have veto power over Marina.

meem

On the Ice
Now wouldn't that have been something: V/M skating to the highly dramatic "Carmen" while D/W are dancin' to Ol' Blue Eyes wailing away about (maybe) NYNY. I find this interesting (and not in a good way).

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Actually if they went in a similar direction as Twyla Tharp's Frank Sinatra suite of dances, it could be very interesting. It's very traditional "ballroom" at its foundation, but with a modernist twist. And it's very American. Actually I always thought D/W might do very well with the score to The Pirate, the 1948 musical starring Gene Kelly and Judy Garland. The songs are by Cole Porter--very theatrical, very showy. And there's one number--"Voodoo"--which is quite the sexy little thing. Just a thought...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No way are D/W doing a program that might look like a knockoff of V/M's Funny Face. But it's possible that V/M might do another movie/stage musical program because they beat D/W with it, but do one they can sex up.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
"Hair", then?

Although that is more up Charlie's and Meryl's alley-best hair in skating :rofl:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ah, The Pirate is a very different kind of movie from Funny Face. Actually the whole Marlie/Moir dyad reminds me of a similar dyad with Gene Kelly (The Pirate) and Fred Astaire (Funny Face). Which is one of the reasons why I think it would suit Marlie. Plus I don't think the music has ever been used--and wouldn't it be nice to have fresh music for an Olympic year (one of the reasons why I think Moir did so well with the Mahler--unexpected AND fresh). But of course, YMMV.

Icey

Record Breaker
V/M's problem is their Carmen FD. They just don't seem to have a concerted vision of what the program should be. There are ugly parts of it----Scott grabbing at Tessa's crotch, Tessa lunging at Scott's groin---which are controversial, to say the least. IMO, some of the older judges on the panel might find those moves distasteful, which can tend to dampen PCS scores. V/M are continually making changes but the program still seems to lack cohesiveness. The program doesn't build up well to the climax where Tessa rejects Scott; instead, the climax is abrupt and makes one feel "Huh?".

Well, I am glad I am not the only one that has felt these moves are questionable. One is as you mentioned the erotic rubbing of her leg at the 0.40 point. Then at the end where she wraps her legs around him as if they are having vertical intercourse. Then when she jumps astride his shoulders, legs hanging over his shoulder with crotch in his face. These moves are too blatant for my taste, but you know, in the sexualized world we live in now, there are probably many who are not uncomfortable with them. I am somewhat surprised a reaction similar to the one Nijinski got, when he did humping motions in Afternoon of the Faun, has not occurred. Certainly brave choreography and pushing the envelope.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think dw do win worlds and vm retire after Canada worlds - even if they win. No vm in sochi

As mentioned in another thread, a few weeks ago Virtue/Moir became RBC Olympians. In addition to other benefits, the program offers funding. I hope that accepting these roles means that Virtue/Moir feel committed to Sochi (barring significant unforeseen circumstances that would change their minds).

If D/W wins this title, I think it's highly likely V/M will find another training ground. While I think their training together has really helped them in the past (the results speak for themselves), V/M has often come out on top for the clutch titles. The second that is reversed, the dynamic will change. Frankly, I think they should start training separately before the Olympic year so that nothing distracting gets in the way.

If V/M leave the Canton rink, they would have to give up their reserved parking space in honor of their Olympic gold.
;) I don't think they'll leave unless another rink guarantees them two reserved spaces. :laugh:
V/M have to share the one in Canton, and every morning brings a new race between the two of them to park there first. They sometimes spy each other on the street before reaching the lot, and then the gloves are off, LOL.

This banner celebrating the four friends would have to come down too. :(

I think that's true. The question will be whether she can convince the teams, who are not kids any more, to skate to them.

Definitely agree that the skaters should have veto power.
Did not realize that the abandoned Sinatra program had been Zoueva's idea, and not Davis' or White's. Glad that D/W are exercising their own judgment.

Last edited:
If V/M leave the Canton rink, they would have to give up their reserved parking space in honor of their Olympic gold.

:rock: Davis and White should hire someone to come and park a big truck in V&M's parking space just before Worlds, to make them mad and throw off their preparation.

This banner celebrating the four friends would have to come down too. :(

Is that what the Olympic silver medal looked like? D&W won the purple-and-white medal? No wonder they weren't pleased with their placement! :)

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
Well, I am glad I am not the only one that has felt these moves are questionable. One is as you mentioned the erotic rubbing of her leg at the 0.40 point. Then at the end where she wraps her legs around him as if they are having vertical intercourse. Then when she jumps astride his shoulders, legs hanging over his shoulder with crotch in his face. These moves are too blatant for my taste, but you know, in the sexualized world we live in now, there are probably many who are not uncomfortable with them. I am somewhat surprised a reaction similar to the one Nijinski got, when he did humping motions in Afternoon of the Faun, has not occurred. Certainly brave choreography and pushing the envelope.

Other skaters have conveyed 'sexiness' and sexual desire, but in a classier, nuanced, less vulgar and therefore more creative manner than V/M. Their literal approach strikes me as neither creative nor sophisticated. I wouldn't be surprised if a few judges haven't already told V/M privately to 'tone it down' for next season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:rock: Davis and White should hire someone to come and park a big truck in V&M's parking space just before Worlds, to make them mad and throw off their preparation.

Is that what the Olympic silver medal looked like? D&W won the purple-and-white medal? No wonder they weren't pleased with their placement! :)

MM you are too much. I nearly fell off my chair laughing!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Other skaters have conveyed 'sexiness' and sexual desire, but in a classier, nuanced, less vulgar and therefore more creative manner than V/M. Their literal approach strikes me as neither creative nor sophisticated. I wouldn't be surprised if a few judges haven't already told V/M privately to 'tone it down' for next season.

If the judges haven't told them privately, they are telling them with lower PCS scores than V/M might have expected.

gmyers

Record Breaker
As mentioned in another thread, a few weeks ago Virtue/Moir became RBC Olympians. In addition to other benefits, the program offers funding. I hope that accepting these roles means that Virtue/Moir feel committed to Sochi (barring significant unforeseen circumstances that would change their minds).
ent.

It probably does -- and if they don't win I guess theyll just have to fix their problems whatever they would be

vera01

Final Flight
So there's still a chance that D&W would continue skating after Sochi(maybe retire after 2018 Olympics?)?

I think V&M would retire even if they don't win gold medal at Sochi 2014, as Tessa currently has some leg issues.

And as for World title, I think it depends on the results of previous events. If Chan doesn't win gold medal, it's likely that V/M would win gold medal as long as V/M skates without any major mistakes:)

bramweld

Record Breaker
And what will happen if Kevin Reynolds wins the gold medal :rofl:

What a conundrum for the poor judges:scratch:

But seriously I want more excitement at competitions. Need to see some other team(s) get into the mix. DW are great but ice dance must evolve. I want to see that team(s) that melds the bests aspects of DW and VM. Then I'll get more excited about ice dance:popcorn:

noskates

Record Breaker
Oh sheesh - we here in North America have watched the Russians and the French win everything in Ice Dance for years!!!!! I hope neither team retires. And there ARE teams the meld the best aspects of both. I look forward to watching the Shib Sibs in the coming years, for example. Let's all enjoy this NA domination while we can.

Also - not sure what Chan OR Reynolds would have to do with who wins the Dance. Are you saying the judges are putting a fix in? Dont' want to think about that.

bramweld

Record Breaker
^^ The Reynolds comment was a feeble attempt at a joke I guess.

I wasn't really around for European domination.

I think I first became intrigued after watching D&W and V&M around 2009 maybe. So they are all I've really known together with the usual suspects K/N, P/B, W/P, etc. Each has a style that they pretty much don't stray too far from maybe with the exception of V/M, so that's where I'm coming from. Nationalities; which is dominating which is not doesn't interest me much. I just like interesting dancing:love: