Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2013 World Junior Championships Entries

Custom Title
    Menshov won Russian Cup so perhaps now Kovtun competes at JW? In which case, winner is up in the air. If neither Yan or Kovtun complete, the podium is up for grabs, maybe skaters like Hino, Jin, Kolyada, Uno, or Omori can wind up with medals!

Custom Title
    I just saw Han Yan's name disappeared from the entry. Wonder if it suggests he is going to Senior Worlds or he is injured.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Menshov won Russian Cup so perhaps now Kovtun competes at JW? In which case, winner is up in the air. If neither Yan or Kovtun complete, the podium is up for grabs, maybe skaters like Hino, Jin, Kolyada, Uno, or Omori can wind up with medals!
    If both Kovtun and Han Yan are out, Josh Farris and Jason Brown are logical contenders.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    If both Kovtun and Han Yan are out, Josh Farris and Jason Brown are logical contenders.
    Yes and the others I mentioned could likely contend for the empty podium spot.

And in some ways, idk what to expect. Maybe we are in for a surprise. I love Josh's skating and would be thrilled to see him win, but he just had a stunning Nationals so I wonder if he may have peaked there and whether or not he'll be able to pull out another great pair of skates here. Jason is due for a really good competition, but the 3a is still so new so not sure what to expect. Maybe Hino could pull an upset and win the whole thing? His skating has really grown on me this season, I especially like his SP.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    I just saw Han Yan's name disappeared from the entry. Wonder if it suggests he is going to Senior Worlds or he is injured.
    Through Yan's twitter asked about his health, he just said he is OK and practicing just as usual. When asked about Senior Worlds, he just keeps silence.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    What logic? Hino was above Brown in GPF and showed quite stable skating at Kokutai and High School event. I actually think he can win.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Contenders for a medal. After all, Hino can't win all three

Custom Title
    Sorry to hear Keiji Tanaka's injury and withdrawal.. He had such a great moment at this year's Nationals with his passionate Free skate.
    Hope Hino gets onto the podium, and he and Uno can make secure three spots for the next season. Best of luck to Ryuju and Shoma!

Seems like Han Yan will be going to the Senior Worlds, after such a great showing at 4CC. Sooo scaring to other senior skaters in London!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    What logic? Hino was above Brown in GPF and showed quite stable skating at Kokutai and High School event. I actually think he can win.
    I agree actually. If Yan and Kovtun are out, Farris is the favorite to win, but he skated really well at Nationals and may have peaked there, so if he has an off-competition here, my money is on Hino to win. Brown should also be a factor, but Hino already beat Brown once and I do think he could beat a Farris with mistakes.

Custom Title
    Hino beat Brown by just 0.6 points at the GPF, and only because Jason popped the axel in the FS. Previously, Brown had beaten Hino at Courchevel. Jason has a 4-point PCS edge over Hino in the SP, and an 8-point PCS edge in the FS.

Just because Josh Farris skated well at Nationals doesn't mean he peaked there. Nationals is a much tougher competition than JW, and Josh had succumbed to nerves at both of his previous Senior Nationals. That he held together this year shows he has learned to compete under pressure. I don't see that as a negative.

Custom Title
    All I meant was that if Farris struggles like he did at JGPF and Jason doesn't hit all his 3a attempts, then Hino COULD win with a pair of good skates. He's not a favorite, of course, or well maybe for a medal but not to win, but I could see it happening.

Custom Title
    Where'd the bloodbath go? :(

Oh well, Joshua vs Jason Round 35643698374694387, and a chance to add a new 1-2 to their already illustrious collection.

I must say, if Jason hits all of his 3As and Joshua goes clean, I will be verrrrrrrrrry interested to see how their scores compare. Jason's PCS is so good, it might counterbalance the difference in TES with the 4T.

Banned
    Joshua should easily win this
    silver-bronze
    will be contended by Hino, Brown, Jin

outside shots are Shoma and Alexander

I predict :

1 Farris
    2 Hino
    3 Boyang
    4 Brown
    5 Samarin
    6 Uno
    |
    V
    15-17 Kolyada

Custom Title
    Why Kolyada so low?

If Joshua is clean and lands 4t he should win even if Jason is also clean. At JGPF and Nationals they were virtually tied in PCS and that's usually the case with them, one gets maybe a point more than the other, so TES should determine the victory. Josh was so close to Yan last season with no quad attempt because Yan, who did land a quad, only attempted one 3a. So one 4t and one 3a isn't much of a TES bump over two 3a with one in combination. Then there was also Yan's 2-1-1 combo. Josh's current layout has two 3a (one in combo with 3t, the second in the bonus) and the 4t so that's the difference, in Lake Placid where he skated so great and landed the quad, he still didn't quite top his FS score from JW because he doubled his second planned 3a and URed a 3lo - the 2nd 3a in the bonus makes a big difference TES wise.

Anyways, apart from Josh skating perfectly, there's no clear winner here. Does Hino have a quad and will he try it here? He's such a good jumper and has had 3a for a long time, I feel like he can probably do a quad but idk if he tried it at Japanese events yet. Edge calls could play a factor in the outcome here too.
    Last edited by silverlake22; 02-22-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Why Kolyada so low?

If Joshua is clean and lands 4t he should win even if Jason is also clean. At JGPF and Nationals they were virtually tied in PCS and that's usually the case with them, one gets made a point more than the other, so TES should determine the victory. Josh was so close to Yan last season with no quad attempt because Yan, who did land a quad, only attempted one 3a. So one 4t and one 3a isn't much of a TES bump over two 3a with one in combination. Then there was also Yan's 2-1-1 combo. Josh's current layout has two 3a (one in combo with 3t, the second in the bonus) and the 4t so that's the difference, in Lake Placid where he skated so great and landed the quad, he still didn't quite top his FS score from JW because he doubled his second planned 3a and URed a 3lo - the 2nd 3a in the bonus makes a big difference TES wise.

Anyways, apart from Josh skating perfectly, there's no clear winner here. Does Hino have a quad and will he try it here? He's such a good jumper and has had 3a for a long time, I feel like he can probably do a quad but idk if he tried it at Japanese events yet. Edge calls could play a factor in the outcome here too.
    Kolyada's only good performance was at junior nationals and that was with higher pcs than Samarin and Petrov which I am sure he will not get internatonally
    Joshua has quads with very good pcs , Jin has a chance to win silver or bronze with his quads and ambitious jump layouts while Hino has more consistent triple axel than Jason

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast