Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko to sue sports commentator

Custom Title
    Will they be selling copies of these on Ebay? ROTFL

The King has arrived - no questions! plushyta's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    And Plushy didn't lose his sense of humour:

"I became a world-class people. Not just an athlete and a person. Screws have American, polymer have Swiss, Belgian thread, I myself am Russian. All on my side. So go ahead for their dreams, new goals! The only thing I now walk with a screwdriver because the screws can get loose, and I my team sometimes curls. I just Terminator. I'll be back!"
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    I love this - and again, as so often is the case, when I'm worried about him and his health, something he says in an interview/statement makes me feel reassured and calmed...

(By the way, is this thread missing a few comments? ... )
    Yes, I was put link to video, where Plushy said "I'll be back" quote (at the end):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tolpEQ5gZ-U

.... and long documentary "Zhenya and Yana: Gold for Love" (about his surgery, their previous marriages...)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS0v-9uFg70
    partial translation: http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...rt=2170#p77878
    Last edited by plushyta; 02-20-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    That's hilarious. You know, I was never a Plushenko fan (seniorita can attest to that!) but over time, I've come to admire his accomplishments and his competitive spirit, and I have to say that his sense of humor and ability not to take himself too seriously played a part in that. These days I find him pretty entertaining.
    His sense of humor always helps him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORUPuKhjTp8 4' 25" and he was only 19.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    In the US 19 subjects (17 states and 2 territories) have criminal defarmation laws. Statistics is available on OSCE site, as well as in Wikipedia. The numbers are not huge but I was slightly surprised that they actually jailed some people for such felony (never a case in Russia for minor crimes):
    1965-2004: 16 cases ended in final convictions. Nine of these included jail sentences, with an average sentence of 173.6 days (). Six of these sentences resulted in fines, averaging 1,700 USD. Four defendants received probabtion, which lasted an average of 547.5 days. Two defendants received community service; the average requirement was 120 hours.

Here is the world map on type of defamation legislation: www.article19.org/defamation/map.html

It never fails to amaze me how non-uniform laws are in the US between states. Sometimes, except for a common language, you'd think different states were different countries.

Tripping on the Podium
    And Plushy didn't lose his sense of humour:

"I became a world-class people. Not just an athlete and a person. Screws have American, polymer have Swiss, Belgian thread, I myself am Russian. All on my side. So go ahead for their dreams, new goals! The only thing I now walk with a screwdriver because the screws can get loose, and I my team sometimes curls. I just Terminator. I'll be back!"
    Lol. So hilarious. Thanks.

Even the moment when you in a difficult time, sometimes humor can help you. My aunt said so in her difficult period in life. Evgeni's brightness also draws the attention of me

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    GS is a fan forum. It is neither a courtroom nor a free forum. It has a forum owner who sets the rules, The Guidelines. It is governed by its guidelines. Please READ the Guidelines (link below).

Ranting is prohibited.
    Insulting other posters is prohibited.
    Bickering is prohibited.
    Posting unsourced rumors about skaters, coaches, and federations is prohibited.
    Would Doris elaborate on ranting? it is the do all end all citation and upsetting as it makes no sense. Motive and heartful intention should matter. I was hurt enough to leave but wish an explanation before I depart.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    In the US 19 subjects (17 states and 2 territories) have criminal defarmation laws. Statistics is available on OSCE site, as well as in Wikipedia. The numbers are not huge but I was slightly surprised that they actually jailed some people for such felony (never a case in Russia for minor crimes):

1965-2004: 16 cases ended in final convictions. Nine of these included jail sentences, with an average sentence of 173.6 days (). Six of these sentences resulted in fines, averaging 1,700 USD. Four defendants received probabtion, which lasted an average of 547.5 days. Two defendants received community service; the average requirement was 120 hours.
    Interesting. In general, in the United States it is not easy to win a defamation case of any kind. The First Amendment (right to free speech, freedom of the press, etc.) usually conquers all.

If I remember my American history right , there was a precedent-setting case back in 1800 or so in which a newspaper published editorials critical of the President, Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson sued for libel and was contemplating a charge of treason. The newspaper guy wrapped himself in his First Amendment rights and beat the charge.

A century later President Teddy Roosevelt sued a newspaper and won. The editor apologized, Roosevelt was satisfied with the apology, and the editor had to pay a fine of six cents.

Custom Title
    I definitely have to look those up, Math. I have a vague memory of reading about the Jefferson one.

Doris, I agree about the surprising patchwork of different state laws. Since at one point many of the states were parts of different countries, there are even some variations in state laws that stem from those earlier times. I believe, for example, that some of Louisiana's laws arise from the Napoleonic Code rather than from English common law, the basis for many other states' laws.

Math,

I'm a little confused about the history of this stuff.

AFAIR, the US freedom of speech starts before there was a United States, with the John Peter Zenger trial, circa 1735. Zenger was a printer who attacked the governor of NY in print. The trial established the principal that the truth is a defense to charges of seditious libel; the court did not buy the argument, but the jury did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom..._United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Peter_Zenger

In Jefferson's time, the issue was the Alien & Sedition Acts, established under John Adams, under which a number of people were charged, imprisioned, or fined for seditious libel, but their case did not reach the Supreme Court; & in any case Marbury v. Madison, which established the Supreme Court as a judicial review, had not yet been argued.

Jefferson, in fact, ran against the renewal of The Alien & Sedition Acts, & they expired during Jefferson's presidency. He pardoned people who were convicted of libelling John Adams. However, that didn't keep Jefferson from invoking them a couple of times before they expired.

So I'm wondering, whether there's an additional case where the people that Jefferson used the act on sued? I haven't found it yet.

Olympia, Yes, that's true about Louisiana. It's also why they have "parishes" rather than "counties".

NY has some odd Dutch leftovers, too, AFAIR, although because they are further back in history, fewer than Louisiana.

Here is the case I was trying to remember.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Croswell

Thanks for finding it.

Reading it, I find that again, the state Supremecourt did not decide, let the conviction stand, and then the State of NY outlawed criminal libel, thus making the case moot, and it was not reviewed by the federal Supreme Court.

It makes my head spin.

Custom Title
    I'm glad you brought up the John Peter Zenger trial, Doris. It was such a landmark, and incredibly surprising, because the man who had been publicly criticized, Cosby, wasn't an elected official but the royal governor of the colony—in other words, a representative of the British King. Amazing that Zenger was able to win out. The Zenger trial is considered the basis for the free press right enshrined in our first amendment.

Thanks for supplying the links to the various cases. I'll look everything up when I get off from work. It makes one realize that the best laws aren't imposed from the top down. They grow from the bottom up. I mean, Marbury v. Madison wasn't in the original Constitution in so many words. It was implied in the idea of a judiciary independent of the other branches of government (in other words, independent of the Congress, which made the laws). It would be interesting to find out from some of our non-American GS posters what the position of the judiciary is in relation to the rest of their governments. In Britain, the judiciary derives its power from the Crown, but I'm not sure what that means in terms of whether they have power to review any particular laws. After all, since Britain doesn't have a written Constitution, can something be unconstitutional? More delving to come!

Here's a site I found, but I haven't read through it yet:

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/the_judiciary.htm

Plushenko sure has inspired some interesting explorations in here!

Moscow police rejected Plushenko's request against TV commentator Andrei Zhurankov http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20130222/646931220.html

Quote Originally Posted by Evgenia View Post
    Lol. So hilarious. Thanks.

Even the moment when you in a difficult time, sometimes humor can help you. My aunt said so in her difficult period in life. Evgeni's brightness also draws the attention of me
    This is sooo funny!

Pluminator Quadrilogy http://t.co/mDkv891gQY by Lovplush ))

This is sooo funny!

Pluminator Quadrilogy http://t.co/mDkv891gQY by Lovplush ))
    Love it! - and the "Pluminator".

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast