Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko to sue sports commentator

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Because it isn't worth the court time anywhere for this thing. Plushenko could make his doc write a small statement and prove it without the hulabaloo if he really had surgery. And that would be end of it. Plu is rich-he could give his legal fees to his pet charity. Society is too litigious-another huge issue. but i respect your pov. he can do as he pleases.
    I think you've missed the point. Why does it become Plushenko's problem to prove that he had the surgery? Why should the journalist not have to prove he didn't?

Custom Title
    I have not read every post-just a few. But in order to prove his case Plu-a skater I enjoy and admire despite the global sized ego-will have to provide actual medical records to prove the surgery. If he can't he is lying. The sportscaster will not want to be outspent and will likely apologize soon. Then Plu should accept and drop it. This reminds me of when giant celeb Yuna was sue happy about-what-the comments of a teacher?
    He proved his surgery is real by letting Channel 1 filmed some shots after his surgery and the doctors (who are not some nobody doctors in the field by the way) also gave details about his previous condition and how the surgery was done. What's more you need? Remind you, these interviews were broadcast before that commentator gave his "personal opinion" when commenting 4CC.

The commentator in question last Sunday gave an interview saying that he deliberately did it to provoke Plushenko. And in other interviews, he expressed his position as not going to apologize.

Many sports stars are very thin skinned. I hope plu gives the money to charity and not a lawyer. No one will care in a week. But it does have me wondering what the truth is, and truth is expensive to find. In any situation like this. I certainly hope Plu is the truthful one. I am guessing he will not be back and this is the end to Sochi hopes? Why does Russia invest in a 30 yr old who really will be off the podium. Cant say Artur and Kovtun go? Plush cannot be the only Russian guy to ensure a spot for the men? I don't follow the plu saga as It is imposiible for him to train triples and quads with this surgery.
    I wish he and Mishin to tell the truth. Plu needs to retire if said surgery is fact. It's a bit crazy at this point. Lawsuits won't help his skating, and it is about skating in the Olys right Plu?
    Who knows, maybe if he got money from the lawsuit, he will gave them to Charity. But why he should not defend his reputation by suing this commentator who basically said to a wider audience that Plushenko is a liar? So because there is so many other issues in Russia, and because Plushenko is a rich man, he should just let his reputation be trashed without saying a word? It is just like, oh here we have problem so leave the problem there as it is.

And what truth you want from him? If he still thinks he can do it, why not? In many people's mind he is not as great as he was now comparing to other young non-Russian skaters, but he is still the best Russian skater, why he should not represent his country just because this reason? Sure the young generation is not bad with Artur and Kovkun, but they still cannot beat him in last December's Nationals when he was clearly out of shape. Sure, the spot is indeed reserved for Plushenko under the circumstances that his health allows him to compete in full strength, so if Plushenko can prove he is still the best Russian men skater in the next Nationals and European Championship, why should he give away the spot for Olympics? The young guns can still beat him to earn their right to Olympics on these competitions.

Drama drama drama. So Russian. Well, welcome to Sochi. Expect scandals, bad sportsmanship and was robbed in FS and any other judged sport. I was always a Plu fan, even in his 2010 statements I could see his POV about jumps mattering a lot, or even most in the mens event, but when rich celebs do the sue thing to the little people, it bothers me-no matter if it is Cruise, Travolta, Yuna or Plu. Don't tell an unpleasant truth, unless you have the money to defend in this corrupt world.
    The "little" commentator in question twisted the fact instead of telling the unpleasant truth. But since you never read through all post, you apparently assume that the person being sued by celebrity must be the one with the truth. As a Plushenko fan myself, I also do not really want him to get involved into such situation but only because right now the most important thing for him is to recover.

It does get interesting. Olympic scandals here we come. I'd like to see some under dogs get some medals this Olympics. Here's hoping for more Gabby Douglas type people and less Lance Armstrongs in sport. As one ages, one never looks for celebrities to idolize. So much dishonesty at the top. I am rooting for new, young folks to take the day. I like Artur and Russia needs to move on. It is a strange situation in mens skating for sure. With the talent and money there we still need Plu to make Sochi FS a great event? What is the problem? OT but with the legacy of male OGM and great skaters, great coaches, choreographers it is a bizarre situation. Maybe they need to let go of Evgeni and give some breaks to decent young guys. They gotta be there. Evgeni is great but Dai deserved silver in Vancouver. Just hate rep judging with points for superstars. Just mho.
    The so called underdogs will win their position in the FS world: Fernandez won European championship, Reynolds won 4CC. If they are stronger, they will get what they deserve. And let's face it, Plushenko is a big name in figure skating, and it will be his fourth Olympics, to media that is worth reporting then other skaters. And he has fans all over the world willing to pay the money to watch his last fight. I do not see there is any problem. As for the young skaters, as I said above they can earn their spots by beating Plushenko in next RN and EC. And just as you know, Plushenko fought his way through all those strong skaters when he was young, why young skaters cannot do the same?

Tripping on the Podium
    I have not read every post-just a few. But in order to prove his case Plu-a skater I enjoy and admire despite the global sized ego-will have to provide actual medical records to prove the surgery. If he can't he is lying. The sportscaster will not want to be outspent and will likely apologize soon. Then Plu should accept and drop it. This reminds me of when giant celeb Yuna was sue happy about-what-the comments of a teacher?

Many sports stars are very thin skinned. I hope plu gives the money to charity and not a lawyer. No one will care in a week. But it does have me wondering what the truth is, and truth is expensive to find. In any situation like this. I certainly hope Plu is the truthful one. I am guessing he will not be back and this is the end to Sochi hopes? Why does Russia invest in a 30 yr old who really will be off the podium. Cant say Artur and Kovtun go? Plush cannot be the only Russian guy to ensure a spot for the men? I don't follow the plu saga as It is imposiible for him to train triples and quads with this surgery.

I wish he and Mishin to tell the truth. Plu needs to retire if said surgery is fact. It's a bit crazy at this point. Lawsuits won't help his skating, and it is about skating in the Olys right Plu?

Drama drama drama. So Russian. Well, welcome to Sochi. Expect scandals, bad sportsmanship and was robbed in FS and any other judged sport. I was always a Plu fan, even in his 2010 statements I could see his POV about jumps mattering a lot, or even most in the mens event, but when rich celebs do the sue thing to the little people, it bothers me-no matter if it is Cruise, Travolta, Yuna or Plu. Don't tell an unpleasant truth, unless you have the money to defend in this corrupt world.

It does get interesting. Olympic scandals here we come. I'd like to see some under dogs get some medals this Olympics. Here's hoping for more Gabby Douglas type people and less Lance Armstrongs in sport. As one ages, one never looks for celebrities to idolize. So much dishonesty at the top. I am rooting for new, young folks to take the day. I like Artur and Russia needs to move on. It is a strange situation in mens skating for sure. With the talent and money there we still need Plu to make Sochi FS a great event? What is the problem? OT but with the legacy of male OGM and great skaters, great coaches, choreographers it is a bizarre situation. Maybe they need to let go of Evgeni and give some breaks to decent young guys. They gotta be there. Evgeni is great but Dai deserved silver in Vancouver. Just hate rep judging with points for superstars. Just mho.
    He actually has been involved with charity works for orphans and given big money for churches. Though he doesn't want to use it for PR. So you dont know. Maybe you will say next "Plushenko has to prove how much he gave money with a certificate" or "He tells a lie. I hope he speaks the truth", but I want to clarify about that.

I think that to judge someone, not only a skater but anyone, at least you need to make an effort to know what happened and is going on.

Rubbished rumors would be finished within 1 or 2 weeks, but the video which was aired on the Eurosport 2 will remain on internet almost forever. And you know it is impossible to remove all. For now people know what happened to Evgeni but people 50 years later, who knows what happened in 2013? If I were him, I would sue to save myself too.
    Last edited by Evgenia; 02-14-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: typo (underlined)

Custom Title
    Well, with all the stuff in Plushy's back, he really won't have ANY trouble proving he had surgery - all he needs to do is get a new X-ray of his back... if the old one won't do. So, pray, set your mind at rest about that skateluvr... You are aware what surgery he had, aren't you?

Banned
    Because it isn't worth the court time anywhere for this thing.

Plu is rich-he could give his legal fees to his pet charity.
    "this thing" as you put it called "felony". Surely it's worthy the court time. I have no doubt that you would be singing a different song if you were the victim of any felony.

Why are so obssessed with other people's money? This one is rich, this one is poor, so why the rich one should sue the poor one and blah-blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
    Let's Talk didn't say that - he/she said it was a crime in the Soviet Union. It is not criminal matter but a civil one in Russia which is not, as I'm sure you know, the Soviet Union any longer.
    I think you misread my post I said there are two kinds of responsibility for two different acts: 1. spreading the information discrediting someone's honour, dignity or business reputation- civil case; 2. spreading deliberately falsified information that denigrates the honour and dignity of another person or undermines his reputation- criminal case.

For the records- the right to express an opinion is granted by the Constitution of RF. The same Constitution says that human rights can be restricted only by law. The exercise of human rights must not violate the rights of other people (restriction by law). I.e. the right of the commentator on public speech must not violat the right of the athlete on good name. Hope that helps.

If I was in Plushenko's shoes I would do the same. Everybody has the right to defend their good name.

Tripping on the Podium
    "this thing" as you put it called "felony".
    Regardless of the personal definitions, this offense is not a felony (that's criminal) and during the Medvedev administration the law was changed, ensuring that this is a civil action. One can debate whether Plushenko should take this forward or not but in no case is it a criminal matter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    If I was in Plushenko's shoes I would do the same. Everybody has the right to defend their good name.
    Precisely.

If the so-called "journalist" didn't want to get sued, maybe he shouldn't have said anything slanderous in the first place!

Perhaps other countries' standards are lower, but at university, I did four seperate classes on the laws of libel and defamation. That's two years out of a three year degree where I was taking classes about this stuff, getting it beat into my head that: if you can't verify it, it's probably best not to publish it at all. This guy is really, really, really stupid.

Custom Title
    Regardless of the personal definitions, this offense is not a felony (that's criminal) and during the Medvedev administration the law was changed, ensuring that this is a civil action. One can debate whether Plushenko should take this forward or not but in no case is it a criminal matter.
    No, Putin makes it criminal charge again last December. So it is a criminal matter.

Banned
    Oh god. How much I am fed up with all those I-now-it-all who don't event speak Russian and yet act as some experts on R-law. I am not talking about you personally now, Brandenburg, but you are quite close to that group in my list. Once again, Plu didn't sue anyone in court via civil case. He filed criminal charged to the police. You can even enjoy the pics of him doing that in police station if you visit his site.
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    No, Putin makes it criminal charge again last December. So it is a criminal matter.
    It is, from 28.07.2012. I hope it will put an end on all those criminal/not criminal talks: www.consultant.ru/popular/ukrf/10_25.html#p1726

Banned
    This commentator's unprofessional and silly comments only reflect the social reality of this country and the messy situation of the Russian mass media. Even erroneous gossips can make the headlines in the local press, and the so-called "right of free speech" is often greatly abused at the same time. People there, of humble/noble origin, usually take great pleasure in making some irrational statements/unconventional revelations to the press. To say the least, to be always in the spotlight is not good for anybody, and I don't think this commentator should be sued for libel or slander or whatever. His mere words at that point should not constitute a criminal offence.

I agree to some points made by skateluvr on the prospects of the Russian mens skating. It is really unwise for the Russian Federation to "put all its eggs in one basket" in preparation for the Sochi Olympics.

Custom Title
    But I think you are ignoring the "silence gives consent"/"no smoke without fire"-crowd. "Well, if Plushenko were innocent, surely he would have done something? Maybe he DIDN'T have an operation after all?'" &c, &c, &c... I think this is not a situation where there is an absolute "right" or "wrong" way to proceed - it is up to each individual to decide how they wish to deal with the situation. This is Plushy's choice; I'm sure he knows what he is doing - and what he's getting himself into. As for the journalist - he wanted attention - he's got it - he should be happy. I've not a shred of sympathy for the fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Thawingiceberg View Post
    I agree to some points made by skateluvr on the prospects of the Russian mens skating. It is really unwise for the Russian Federation to "put all its eggs in one basket" in preparation for the Sochi Olympics.
    It's up to the other eggs to step up. I'm pretty sure the Russian Federation would be pleased to have another men's skater as good as Plushenko is, even now. But they don't.

On the Ice
    If other young Russian skaters want to represent their country, they should EARN their spots by winning medals at RN, EC or WC, just like what Plushenko did since 1998.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I believe if the journalist had spoken to a little journal or a russian show(maybe others have done already), Plush wouldnt bother. I mean a week ago there were few russian newspapers / sites that wrote that an israel source said Plush is not in that country's hospitals blah blah and there is no surgery, he didnt sue any of them. But this journalist talked at Eurosport, and it was during a major competition and all that was way more relevant to the sport than a yellow newspaper so I think this rang some bells.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast