Plushenko to sue sports commentator | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Plushenko to sue sports commentator

Thawingiceberg

Match Penalty
This commentator's unprofessional and silly comments only reflect the social reality of this country and the messy situation of the Russian mass media. Even erroneous gossips can make the headlines in the local press, and the so-called "right of free speech" is often greatly abused at the same time. People there, of humble/noble origin, usually take great pleasure in making some irrational statements/unconventional revelations to the press. To say the least, to be always in the spotlight is not good for anybody, and I don't think this commentator should be sued for libel or slander or whatever. His mere words at that point should not constitute a criminal offence.

I agree to some points made by skateluvr on the prospects of the Russian mens skating. It is really unwise for the Russian Federation to "put all its eggs in one basket" in preparation for the Sochi Olympics.

LRK

Record Breaker
But I think you are ignoring the "silence gives consent"/"no smoke without fire"-crowd. "Well, if Plushenko were innocent, surely he would have done something? Maybe he DIDN'T have an operation after all?'" &c, &c, &c... I think this is not a situation where there is an absolute "right" or "wrong" way to proceed - it is up to each individual to decide how they wish to deal with the situation. This is Plushy's choice; I'm sure he knows what he is doing - and what he's getting himself into. As for the journalist - he wanted attention - he's got it - he should be happy. I've not a shred of sympathy for the fellow.

I agree to some points made by skateluvr on the prospects of the Russian mens skating. It is really unwise for the Russian Federation to "put all its eggs in one basket" in preparation for the Sochi Olympics.

It's up to the other eggs to step up. I'm pretty sure the Russian Federation would be pleased to have another men's skater as good as Plushenko is, even now. But they don't. :cry:

lilywang

Rinkside
If other young Russian skaters want to represent their country, they should EARN their spots by winning medals at RN, EC or WC, just like what Plushenko did since 1998.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I believe if the journalist had spoken to a little journal or a russian show(maybe others have done already), Plush wouldnt bother. I mean a week ago there were few russian newspapers / sites that wrote that an israel source said Plush is not in that country's hospitals blah blah and there is no surgery, he didnt sue any of them. But this journalist talked at Eurosport, and it was during a major competition and all that was way more relevant to the sport than a yellow newspaper so I think this rang some bells.

katia

On the Ice
Plushchenko had knee surgery in June 2011, then again, in 2012 he had surgery in Munich, then surgery this year after he withdrew from European Championships. He was supposed to win the words in 2011, then in 2012 and he could not - he could not even go - because his health was not good enough. Every year he has a serious surgery, and the hype is that he will be up there with quads, and tripples in Sochi.
No wonder he is so touchy.

noskates

Record Breaker
The best way for him to get past this is to just go out and skate!!! He's fast becoming the bionic man with all these surgeries. I would be very surprised if we see him at Sochi! VERY surprised!

Icey

Record Breaker
Plushenko is staying too long at the fair. If he were healthy, he probably would do well. But he is not healthy. If his federation really cared about him, they would tell him he should call it a day. I can see no way he is going to last till Sochi. If he is sent no matter what, his country will be making a big mistake.

Thawingiceberg

Match Penalty
But I think you are ignoring the "silence gives consent"/"no smoke without fire"-crowd. "Well, if Plushenko were innocent, surely he would have done something? Maybe he DIDN'T have an operation after all?'" &c, &c, &c... I think this is not a situation where there is an absolute "right" or "wrong" way to proceed - it is up to each individual to decide how they wish to deal with the situation. This is Plushy's choice; I'm sure he knows what he is doing - and what he's getting himself into. As for the journalist - he wanted attention - he's got it - he should be happy. I've not a shred of sympathy for the fellow.

I am not sympathizing with the commentator but with Plushenko in his suffering.

Indeed, Plushenko has the right to defend his own reputation by some means or other in this case, but it is wrong to bring a criminal charge against this commentator, whose behavior was rather unprofessional or snobbish, but far from a criminal offence. Nowadays the term "Publicity Stunt" is widely used by these newspeople around the world when they are singling out some celebrity for criticism in some "BIG" event. To a public figure like Plushenko, such accusation is not at all a big deal. Before/After the operation, he and his coach gave so many interviews to the press that quite a few readers/viewers would naturally regard them as a sort of "Publicity Stunt." Mishin even declared to the news media the time when Plushenko would return to the ice right before the surgery was done. Isn't such talk unwise? There are some other things I do not want to mention here, because I very much appreciate the great contributions made by Plushenko and his lifetime mentor to this sport, and I do not want to hit them when they are really down right now. I think, currently, peaceful recovering time is what he needs most. No more big talks to the press, please.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Some people don't understand the decision of Plushy?

Maybe you don't know he and his wife constantly harassed by the russian yellow press. The yellow press wrote their marriage is just a gimmick, a PR trick,and after the birth of their son a newspaper wrote that Yana hired a surrogate mother she wasn't pregnant.

and
http://www.eg.ru/daily/stars/36133/
google translating

Yana is in constant stress

After the birth of his son Alexander Yana Rudkovskaya at her and happy father - Evgeni Plushenko, hit the shaft of attractive offers from various media. But the joy is famous parents does not bring.
- Paparazzi opened for me to hunt, hoping to catch the moment when I am walking with a stroller - complained of "Express newspaper" Rudkovskaya. - Plaguing them not, as if all gone mad! Received various proposals. For example, the Japanese are willing to pay $ 50 000 for a photo baby. But we all refused.
Who don't knows, Evgeni Plushenko is very popular in the land of the rising sun. And if we have not decided to give parents-baby gifts, in Japan it is in order. As told to us before delivery in an exclusive interview with Jana Rudkovskaya only pinetok (footwear for babies) handmade they have accumulated about a hundred pairs. Their Japanese fans sent to Evgeni.

But this is more than some stupid articles in the yellow press. He is a real icon, he has many-many fans all over the world, who respect him like one of the best athlete in all sports, and respect him like a special and inspiring person.

https://twitter.com/EvgeniPlushenko
RT @EvgeniPlushenko:
Here's a video which sent to me: http://youtube.com/watch?v=sapPTvStTeU
Well, what can I say about it... I'm especially bitter, aware of the fact that Andrey Zhurankov @AZhurankov, pretending to the title of a sports journalist, which in itself should mean a certain level of professionalism, could understand all the mendacity which he told on Russian channel EUROSPORT 2 about me as an athlete and person, that is, he deliberately insulted my honor, dignity and reputation.
Sport - it's my life. Sporting achievements in the name of the glory of Russia - this is my religion. For me, it's not just words, it is the essence of all that I did and do in the sport. Violating the code of ethics of the journalist, Zhurankov slandered and insulted not only me, than also my entire team, including a genius coach Alexei Mishin, wonderful assistants, my fans in Russia and around the world.
Fact is so disgusting and transcends, that I'm not going to leave it just like that. In the end, there is a law, there is a court, in which I will defend my dignity of athlete and person.

Last edited:

Thawingiceberg

Match Penalty
Plushenko and his wife are very fond of the limelight in this country. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to pay for that. To be honest, few skating fans are interested in Yana, a mere show biz lady.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko and his wife are very fond of the limelight in this country. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to pay for that.

So because they're celebrities in Russia it's perfectly okay for journalists to slander them?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko and his wife are very fond of the limelight in this country. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to pay for that. To be honest, few skating fans are interested in Yana, a mere show biz lady.

No, you are wrong. Plushy doesn't like the limelight, he endures because of Yana. The show biz is Yana's world. And you are wrong, most of Plushy's fans accept and respect Yana, we know Yana helps, supports Plush, because she is a strong, smart, wise woman. They are a great couple. In summer of 2010 Plushy had cca 30 shows in Japan, Yana was with him, she also got many expensive gifts from the Plushy fans. ( They ordered the container, because Zhenya wanted to take every bit from the Japanese fans in Russia, in their home! Gifts were more than 500 kg :) )

Last edited:

Thawingiceberg

Match Penalty
So because they're celebrities in Russia it's perfectly okay for journalists to slander them?

If you intend to interpret my words this way, then, I have nothing to say. To be frank, nobody is infallible in this world, and Plushenko is no exception to that.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
If you intend to interpret my words this way, then, I have nothing to say. To be frank, nobody is infallible in this world, and Plushenko is no exception to that.

I do not understand, in this case is completely irrelevant to Plush is infallible or not. And you calm down, the court won't be send Zhurankov to the Gulag. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Then pray tell, how else were they meant to be interpreted?

Look. The guy said stuff that amounts to slander and libel. Plushenko wants to sue him because, um, hel-lo, the guy said he was faking it on INTERNATIONAL TELEVISION. I'm sorry, what part of Plushenko's actions here is so terrible?

I know this is off topic, but I don't know where to put it, and I think a lot of Russians are posting on this thread. I hope everyone is okay after the meteor explosion. I gather it hit somewhere in the Urals, mercifully not in a big city (though where it hit was bad enough). Talk about the sky falling! I gather there were no fatalities but that in this freezing weather, the blown-out windows can be extremely dangerous. On our TV station they said that volunteers are racing to cover the windows before doing anything else.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
but it is wrong to bring a criminal charge against this commentator, whose behavior was rather unprofessional or snobbish, but far from a criminal offence.
It doesn't work like that. If the certain act is defined as a crime by the law in question, so the committed act is a crime and can't be treated as a civil case. I mean even if Plu wanted, he woudn't be able to file a civil case for the act defined as a crime by law.

Meanwhile, finally RusFed came up with the official annnouncement on the matter. They say they fully support Plushenko in this story, take his side and in the future they tend to deal only with journalists that don't violate professional ethics.
http://fsrussia.ru/news/448_ot-federacii-figurnogo-kataniya-na-konkah-rossii-/

plushyta

On the Ice
Indeed, Plushenko has the right to defend his own reputation by some means or other in this case, but it is wrong to bring a criminal charge against this commentator, whose behavior was rather unprofessional or snobbish, but far from a criminal offence. Nowadays the term "Publicity Stunt" is widely used by these newspeople around the world when they are singling out some celebrity for criticism in some "BIG" event. To a public figure like Plushenko, such accusation is not at all a big deal. Before/After the operation, he and his coach gave so many interviews to the press that quite a few readers/viewers would naturally regard them as a sort of "Publicity Stunt." ...
Plushy and Mishin give "so many interviews", just BECAUSE of this gossips! :eek:

Anyway, every semi-literate journalist and smaller television/radio in Russia (fearing for themselves and their "the right of freedom of speech") were invited as guest Zhurankov, to express his own defense - some of his performances lasting over 45 minutes!
http://tvrain.ru/articles/kommentat...gurnoe_katanie_vygljadit_otvratitelno-336630/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjD2dpZF7wo
http://youtu.be/9T0BGGN06Gk?t=42m23s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRJntXei4fs
... and this is only part of it...

In any case, do not worry - journalist will not be fined more than 5000 € (how much was punished site, who wrote that marriage of Plushy and Yana is false, 1-2 year ago)....

P.S. speaking about "freedom of speech" in Russia ... do not confuse fear of journalists from politicians, and "freedom" which these same journalists allow themselves, writing gossips and lies about showbiz and sports stars.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I dont understand if someone is a public name, why he has to pay for being on the limelight? Plushenko is a public figure in Russia for certain reasons, but it is surely not in his goals to be mentioned during 4CC men warm up.

Besides on this story, who was looking for the 15 mins of fame, Plushenko-like did he need them? Or the journalist whose name you wouldnt know otherwise and he wouldnt be on the news for two weeks now. He has probably earned more money for getting invited to interviews now, that the ones he will have to pay.