Plushenko to sue sports commentator | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Plushenko to sue sports commentator

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Plushenko and his wife are very fond of the limelight in this country. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to pay for that. To be honest, few skating fans are interested in Yana, a mere show biz lady.
You pay for that with some loss of privacy. This does not mean that you should pay for that by people making your private medical issues their business, or by accepting libelous statements made about you. This may be shocking, but famous people are still protected by many of the laws that apply to the population at large.

Thawingiceberg

Match Penalty
I don't think this commentator is the first newsman who has smeared Plushenko's reputation to date. Plushenko is only making an example of him to tide over the hardest period in his lifetime. Nothing wrong with that. I wish him good luck.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I don't think this commentator is the first newsman who has smeared Plushenko's reputation to date. Plushenko is only making an example of him to tide over the hardest period in his lifetime.
This sports commentator is the first one who accused Plu of faking his operation. Plu had a lot of operations in the past but no one ever said that they were fakes. How do you know that it's the hardest time in his life? He doesn't sound like the one. Did he give you an interview or something that you could back up your claims? Otherwise you sound pretty much like zhurankovs- rumours, specualtions, false accusations and other tabloid stuff. I hope you are truly enjoying it. :sarcasm:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
And Plushy didn't lose his sense of humour:

"I became a world-class people. Not just an athlete and a person. Screws have American, polymer have Swiss, Belgian thread, I myself am Russian. All on my side. So go ahead for their dreams, new goals! The only thing I now walk with a screwdriver because the screws can get loose, and I my team sometimes curls. I just Terminator. I'll be back!" :agree:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
R-media reported that inquiry on Plu case against Zhurankov was reassigned from the local police division (Central district of Moscow) where the charges were originally filed, to the Main Department of Internal Affiars of Moscow-city (a.k.a. Moscow city Police). Eurosport officials refused to give any comments on the issue: http://news.sport-express.ru/2013-02-19/568502/

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
let's talk, Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.

It's interesting to me not just because it's Plushenko, but also because the concept of felony slander or libel is so different to what is done in the US..

But the more I think about it, the more I think the US would be better off if we had such a law & that people actually went to the police station and took advantage of it when they were lied about in this way.

I would like to see the people on TV, tabloid & radio actually think twice before telling the more ridiculous lies about other people (usually in the opposite political party, but also about celebrities)..

LRK

Record Breaker

"I became a world-class people. Not just an athlete and a person. Screws have American, polymer have Swiss, Belgian thread, I myself am Russian. All on my side. So go ahead for their dreams, new goals! The only thing I now walk with a screwdriver because the screws can get loose, and I my team sometimes curls. I just Terminator. I'll be back!" :agree:

I love this - and again, as so often is the case, when I'm worried about him and his health, something he says in an interview/statement makes me feel reassured and calmed...

(By the way, is this thread missing a few comments? I was in a hurry before, but I'm sure I saw Olympia respond to this? And - as so often - I just loved what she said. :) )

Again, I'm thinking of a J Michael Straczynski quote:

"They told us not to wish in the first place, not to aspire, not to try; to be quiet, to play nice, to shoot low and aspire not at all. They are always wrong. Follow your dreams. Make your wishes. Create the future. And above all, believe in yourself."

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I love this - and again, as so often is the case, when I'm worried about him and his health, something he says in an interview/statement makes me feel reassured and calmed...

(By the way, is this thread missing a few comments? I was in a hurry before, but I'm sure I saw Olympia respond to this? And - as so often - I just loved what she said. :) )

"They told us not to wish in the first place, not to aspire, not to try; to be quiet, to play nice, to shoot low and aspire not at all. They are always wrong. Follow your dreams. Make your wishes. Create the future. And above all, believe in yourself."

Yes. I also noticed that this thread is missing a few comments. I saw Olympia's and Mathman's and Plushyta's comments, too. :confused: :confused:
Look at this ,please :) http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8&start=890
I will be back ! :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There were 12 hours during the server upgrade when a lot of posts were lost. This thread was active at that time.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

That's hilarious. You know, I was never a Plushenko fan (seniorita can attest to that!) but over time, I've come to admire his accomplishments and his competitive spirit, and I have to say that his sense of humor and ability not to take himself too seriously played a part in that. These days I find him pretty entertaining.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just a reminder-insulting other posters is not allowed at Golden Skate.

Check out the Guidelines if you are not sure what is and isn't allowed. (There is a link at the bottom of this post, and indeed on every page at Golden Skate.)

We also discourage unsourced rumors; do not be surprised or upset if someone asks you for a link or a source.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
GS is a fan forum. It is neither a courtroom nor a free forum. It has a forum owner who sets the rules, The Guidelines. It is governed by its guidelines. Please READ the Guidelines (link below).

Ranting is prohibited.
Insulting other posters is prohibited.
Bickering is prohibited.
Posting unsourced rumors about skaters, coaches, and federations is prohibited.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If you read the guidelines, they well inform you that you can always report a post you feel is inappropriate and administrators/moderators will take notice and act accordingly.

I did make a comment yesterday about that lovely quote of Plushy's. His upbeat attitude made me smile. I'd love to see him at Sochi, but I do worry about his longterm health. Plushyfan, thanks so much for posting it. It reminds us why so many people admire him and shows his grit and determination as well as his humor.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
but also because the concept of felony slander or libel is so different to what is done in the US..

But the more I think about it, the more I think the US would be better off if we had such a law & that people actually went to the police station and took advantage of it when they were lied about in this way.
In the US 19 subjects (17 states and 2 territories) have criminal defarmation laws. Statistics is available on OSCE site, as well as in Wikipedia. The numbers are not huge but I was slightly surprised that they actually jailed some people for such felony (never a case in Russia for minor crimes):
1965-2004: 16 cases ended in final convictions. Nine of these included jail sentences, with an average sentence of 173.6 days :)eek:). Six of these sentences resulted in fines, averaging 1,700 USD. Four defendants received probabtion, which lasted an average of 547.5 days. Two defendants received community service; the average requirement was 120 hours.

Here is the world map on type of defamation legislation: www.article19.org/defamation/map.html

T. Akimtseva, Pluminator's lawyer, said to sovsport.ru that they provided for the police the requested documents: air tickets, bills, medical records, etc. regarding the operation in Israel.

plushyta

On the Ice

(By the way, is this thread missing a few comments? ... )
Yes, I was put link to video, where Plushy said "I'll be back" quote (at the end): :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tolpEQ5gZ-U

.... and long documentary "Zhenya and Yana: Gold for Love" (about his surgery, their previous marriages...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS0v-9uFg70
partial translation: http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6&start=2170#p77878

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
That's hilarious. You know, I was never a Plushenko fan (seniorita can attest to that!) but over time, I've come to admire his accomplishments and his competitive spirit, and I have to say that his sense of humor and ability not to take himself too seriously played a part in that. These days I find him pretty entertaining.

His sense of humor always helps him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORUPuKhjTp8 4' 25" :laugh: and he was only 19.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In the US 19 subjects (17 states and 2 territories) have criminal defarmation laws. Statistics is available on OSCE site, as well as in Wikipedia. The numbers are not huge but I was slightly surprised that they actually jailed some people for such felony (never a case in Russia for minor crimes):
1965-2004: 16 cases ended in final convictions. Nine of these included jail sentences, with an average sentence of 173.6 days :)eek:). Six of these sentences resulted in fines, averaging 1,700 USD. Four defendants received probabtion, which lasted an average of 547.5 days. Two defendants received community service; the average requirement was 120 hours.

Here is the world map on type of defamation legislation: www.article19.org/defamation/map.html

It never fails to amaze me how non-uniform laws are in the US between states. Sometimes, except for a common language, you'd think different states were different countries.

Evgenia

Rinkside

Lol. So hilarious. Thanks.

Even the moment when you in a difficult time, sometimes humor can help you. My aunt said so in her difficult period in life. Evgeni's brightness also draws the attention of me :)