Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: McCorkell determined to reach second Oly

McCorkell determined to reach second Oly

IF she were in Japan, Russia, US heck even Canada she would be but a footnote.
    You have made it clear how you feel three times now. She earned her spot. This post is not about other skaters.

Custom Title
    Vanessa James, who skates for France now, won the British gold medal in 2006 and the silver in 2007. James competed domestically in the United states and then internationally for Great Britain and then France. She gets around
    Last edited by Icey; 02-14-2013 at 05:55 PM.

Custom Title
    Thanks a lot for the article! And I loved your post, too, CaroLiza_fan!

If some younger and more promising skaters in a country want to skate on the Olympic ice or at the Championships, they always and equally have an opportunity to beat older ones at the NATIONALS every season...in my humble opinion.

Seems there is one more reason for me to root for McCorkell, since now I know she is from Ireland. I am also a big fan of Irish Rugby team: the way they play the game is just 'soulful'. Brian O'Driscoll at 2011 Worlds Cup and Keith Wood at 2003.
    Besides I have a soft spot to veteran skaters. Gooo Jenna!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gsk8 View Post
    You have made it clear how you feel three times now. She earned her spot. This post is not about other skaters.
    Thanks. I am glad you got it; you've made our point clear too LOL. But this post is really about her and comparing her to others. As are most posts. Anyways, I hope she will develop some interesting programs at the very least. I fully expect we will see her at worlds and olympics though maybe some one will upset her and knock her off. As for earning her spot well it is all open to
    interpretation.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Thanks. I am glad you got it; you've made our point clear too LOL. But this post is really about her and comparing her to others. As are most posts. Anyways, I hope she will develop some interesting programs at the very least. I fully expect we will see her at worlds and olympics though maybe some one will upset her and knock her off. As for earning her spot well it is all open to
    interpretation.
    Have you seen the results of british nats for the last however many years? Jenna wins each year by a sizeable margain, I doubt there will be an upset and I believe if someone is the best in their country there is no problem with them winning every year, it would be different if Jenna was being held up by the fed over another skater who was better than her but there isnt, Jenna is lightyears ahead of the rest of the british ladies, would you prefer to see the british number 2 at worlds?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here is the most recent results page for the 2013 British Nationals:

http://www.johnds.org/British_12_13/

SP
    http://www.johnds.org/British_12_13/..._SP_Scores.pdf

You will note that Jenna completed 3F2t, 3t and 2a in the short. The next nearest competitor, Karly Robertson, did 3t2t, fell on a 3S, and did a 2A. She earned about 8 points less than Jenna.

This is why Jenna keeps winning.

In the LP, Jenna did not skate very well, but still finished ahead of Robertson. Both girls did mostly doubles.
    http://www.johnds.org/British_12_13/..._FS_Scores.pdf

Jenna has the requisite TES for Europeans, and I think also Worlds by this point. I don't believe any other British girls have gotten the required World's TES. Her federation gets one spot at each event, if they have a qualified competitor. If Jenna did not compete, there would be no British lady at Worlds, and it wouldn't open any opportunity for anyone else, either in GBR, or in any other country. The spot would just not be used.

Custom Title
    Yep, no competition doesnt mean it wouldn't be nice to see someone else skate. Jennifer Robinson in Canada won for years and her skating was never exciting. She'd some times do 7 triples but the quality and speed was so meh no one cared.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    You wouldn't see them, except at Senior B's & British Nationals. And they get to go there already.

They don't get the qualifying TES to go to Worlds or Europeans, so no opportunity for anyone opens up if Jenna quits. In Canada, when Robinson was skating, there was no minimum TES rule, so if she quit, you could say someone else would get a chance, at least to skate a qualifying round at Worlds, or to go to 4CC's.

Under the current rules, that is not the case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2