Thread: Ice Network to offer 4CC and Worlds

Custom Title

Ice Network to offer 4CC and Worlds

I just read on IceNetwork.com that they are offering coverage of 4CC and Worlds at no extra charge to season pass subscribers. But the reason for the no extra charge apparently is that the coverage is offered after the fact.

2013 Four Continents will be up on IceNetwork on February 17, and the 2013 World championships will be up on March 24. Both available well after the results of the events are known. While I'm happy to be able to see the performances in their entirety, I wanna see them in real time for the first time, especially Worlds.

Why oh why do they always dis figure skating fans?

Is Universal Sports carrying live coverage of Worlds?

Custom Title
    Are they geoblocked, too? I thought I read that they were, which makes me really, really, REALLY sad.

I wonder if football fans would put up with their sport being broadcast a week after the game was played?

Miserere Nobis
    Lucky for us that other livestreams exist.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I wonder if football fans would put up with their sport being broadcast a week after the game was played?

Seriously.

Also... I wish they had told the fans before 4CC. I would have liked to (try to) remain as unspoiled as possible.

Custom Title
    Yes, throw us loyal fans (many of us foolishly loyal for more years than we would want to admit) a few stale crumbs. Are we expected to slobber with gratefulness? The powers that be need to learn that healthy relationships have equitable give and take.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Ask those who had to endure the relatively short black out at the Super Bowl.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Yes, throw us loyal fans (many of us foolishly loyal for more years than we would want to admit) a few stale crumbs. Are we expected to slobber with gratefulness? The powers that be need to learn that healthy relationships have equitable give and take.
    lololol

I would be interested to know the finances of the whole thing. Ice Network probably got the rights to broadcast after the fact for peanuts, if not free. How much would the ISU charge Ice Network for live coverage? Does some other entity (Japanese TV for Four Continents, Canadian TV for Worlds) own exclusive broadcast rights?

Personally, I think the zealous guardians of broadcast and copyrights are being penny wise and pound foolish. A rising tide floats all boats. The more fans watch skating performances for free on You Tube, the more they will want to subscribe to Ice Network, sign up for Universal TV, attend events in person, tell their friends about skating, etc.

Custom Title
    I think another issue is geoblocking. Yes, IceNetwork only has the rights to American broadcasting and that's whatever, but what about us poor sods in countries where no-one has bought the rights to broadcast skating, and yet I'm blacked out from IceNetwork? Picking at dodgy streams and Youtube videos? Isn't there some way IceNetwork could open up to show skating live to those in countries where the rights haven't been bought?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    I think another issue is geoblocking. Yes, IceNetwork only has the rights to American broadcasting and that's whatever, but what about us poor sods in countries where no-one has bought the rights to broadcast skating, and yet I'm blacked out from IceNetwork? Picking at dodgy streams and Youtube videos? Isn't there some way IceNetwork could open up to show skating live to those in countries where the rights haven't been bought?
    Broadcasting companies also have to purchase video streaming rights to certain countries as well. I've mentioned in the Korean dramas thread in Le Cafe that I watch them through a website called Drama Fever. And I remember reading that their content is geoblocked outside of N. America because they are only able to purchase the streaming rights for that region.

I'd imagine that it would be costly to buy streaming rights for additional countries -- so that's why folks like you, karne, get the short end of the stick. They probably aren't motivated to get streaing rights so people in other countries to watch them if they don't really have a revenue stream to cover that cost.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The Four Continents competitions are now up. The quality of the stream is very good indeed.

No commentary, though.

But they do include interviews with the winners.