Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: US ladies facing worlds

  1. #1
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,578

    US ladies facing worlds

    I think we need a prayer chain for these two. i have a bad feeling Ashley and Gold repeat their failings from Nationals. Now 4cc shows Gold hasn't got confidence despite her gorgeous jumps. Ashley is such a lovely skater with good programs. I am worried for these two. I think both will fold under pressure with the 3 Japanese women who are not wilting flowers and get the marks plus Yuna and Caro. I am worried what will happen for Sochi. What are the best guesses for Ash and gold? Realistically what placements are we prognosticating?

    I am nervous for them.

  2. #2
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I think we need a prayer chain for these two. i have a bad feeling Ashley and Gold repeat their failings from Nationals. Now 4cc shows Gold hasn't got confidence despite her gorgeous jumps. Ashley is such a lovely skater with good programs. I am worried for these two. I think both will fold under pressure with the 3 Japanese women who are not wilting flowers and get the marks plus Yuna and Caro. I am worried what will happen for Sochi. What are the best guesses for Ash and gold? Realistically what placements are we prognosticating?

    I am nervous for them.
    I agree that their chances of getting the three spots back will be difficult. I expected more from Gracie, honestly. Ashley is a bit of a question mark because she's recovering. I either see her really amping up her fight because of her last two poor showings, or her old doubts will start to creep back. It also depends on whether she has the triple-triple. I think she could still be a darkhorse bronze if someone slips up. I don't think Gracie will crack top 5. Ashley, top 5 possibly. They'll both need help.

    While Kim and Carolina are both strong contenders, their lack of competition this season also makes them a bit unpredictable. Either way, it'll be a great, intense competition.
    Last edited by rkuang; 02-15-2013 at 12:28 AM.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    238
    Gracie has little experience of international competitions. I think she is at the level of 8th or 9th at Worlds. Don't forget Chinese girls. Zijun Li may beat Gracie if she is clean, too. So the chance of 3 spots depends mostly on Ashley in this case. If she skates clean, she has a good chance of making top 5. Maybe they will barely take three spots with the results like 5th and 8th or 4th and 9th.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Gracie has little experience of international competitions. I think she is at the level of 8th or 9th at Worlds. Don't forget Chinese girls. Zijun Li may beat Gracie if she is clean, too. So the chance of 3 spots depends mostly on Ashley in this case. If she skates clean, she has a good chance of making top 5. Maybe they will barely take three spots with the results like 5th and 8th or 4th and 9th.
    As awful as Gracie was at 4CC Zijun Li only beat her by about 4 points. A clean Gracie would easily beat Li.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,569
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    Gracie has little experience of international competitions.
    When she nad no experience of international competitions - she was first at JGP Event and second at Jr Worlds.

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    139
    Everytime I come back to check GS there’s a new American ladies thread…… Anyway best wishes to Gracie. I really like her new exhibition program.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,607
    No need to be melodramatic. Cocnern perhaps but Gracie and Ashley will do fine. They have a good shot at 3 spots; remember other skaters and nations would like something too Russia must be world about getting three spots, Canada wojuld like two spots reasonably and that will play a factor. Best scenario is Ashley medals and Gracie is in th. worst is one places 9th or 10th and the other just out of the top ten - surely they cannot do an Alyssa that was unbelievable. The federation should have asked for some money back from her training - joking but Cizsnhy some how is treated better than Flatt. Joking. I think Gold and Wagner will do the grand ole USA proud.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,037
    I'm from the U.S and I'm more interested to see how the Russian girls, Carolina, Akiko, Mao and Yu na will do. Good or bad I just didn't have expectations for the U.S. girls but who knows...they can wow at the event.

  9. #9
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I'm from the U.S and I'm more interested to see how the Russian girls, Carolina, Akiko, Mao and Yu na will do. Good or bad I just didn't have expectations for the U.S. girls but who knows...they can wow at the event.
    This. I've lowered my expectations for Ashley and Gracie simply b/c the competition is fierce this year. Ashley will need a repeat of TEB (with some extra triples) to make it to the podium...and that very well might not be enough depending on how the others skate. Gracie has wonderful jumps but she's hit or miss this season. It'd be great if she finally pulls it all together but I'm very doubtful of her making that happen, especially after 4CC.

    I'm excited to see Mao, Yu-Na and Carolina go head-to-head-to-head. That's the main story line of this year's worlds. Mao's pulling out her big tricks again...Carolina is the defending champ and is looking strong...Yu-Na hasn't competed at this level in two years but she's a front-runner...

    Then we've got the debuting Russians coming off of amazing performances at Europeans...Kaetlyn debuting at worlds on home soil...Zijun Li making her debut...Kiira is supposedly coming back from injury...and of course Akiko and Kanako are top 10 threats...

    The level of competition will be amazing. To me, Ashley and Gracie are almost a bit of an afterthought at this point. I really hope they earn that 3rd spot back but at this point, I'm not holding my breath nor do I expect them to do it. If they do, it will be a nice surprise.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,037
    I agree Kwanatic and I'm also more of a fan of the ladies NOT from the U.S.. I like Gracie but she has to become a complete skater with some good choreo for me to root for....win or lose.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,521
    What I find strange is that in the last few years our women do well in the early part of the season (GP series, senior B's, etc) but by the time Nationals rolls around they begin to wilt and by Worlds they typically don't bring anywhere close to their peak form. We had two women in the GPF yet there's a very good chance we won't have two skaters place high enough to get us three spots for the Olympics. It's frustrating to see these women peak early then be surpassed by other skaters late in the season.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    674
    Well so far the score to crack top 5 is 190+ and Caro, Adelina, Eliza, Yuna, Mao, Akiko and Wagner had cracked. How serious is Ashley injury?? If she is recovered and can repeat her first two GP performance, top 5 is guarentee.

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,521
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    Well so far the score to crack top 5 is 190+ and Caro, Adelina, Eliza, Yuna, Mao, Akiko and Wagner had cracked. How serious is Ashley injury?? If she is recovered and can repeat her first two GP performance, top 5 is guarentee.
    Seven skaters have scored 190+, so that won't guarantee her a top 5 finish if everyone skates their best. IIRC she is also the only one of these who doesn't attempt a 3/3 in the SP and tends to finish behind skaters who do achieve that, so she could find herself in the penultimate group even if she's clean in the SP.

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,200
    I hope Ashley has had time to rest up for Worlds. She just looked tired and burnt out at nationals. If she can bring back her spark and confidence she had all season she should do really well. We have to face the fact that Gracie is going to have some mistakes. She is just not ready for prime time. I hope her coaches tell her to skate for herself and not for anyone else. I' m sure she has made many sacrifices to skate. I feel like if she can just hold her sp together and skate ok in the lp she can finish top ten.

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    541
    Aren't the U.S. ladies about due for at least a decent Worlds? Really, we can't have a third year in a row with injury meltdowns, can we? Isn't some other country due for such problems instead?

    I also wonder why we are seeing ladies start strong and fizzle out by Worlds. Obviously, every other country's top skaters are skating GPs, National comps, and Euros or 4CCs and still managing to peak by Worlds. Is there some other factor besides just downright bad luck at work?

    At this point, my wish for the U.S. ladies at Worlds is that they are BOTH healthy and ready to go at Worlds. We haven't had that simple luxury lately.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •