Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: US ladies facing worlds

Simple question. What exactly is Ash's physical state...Practice reports? I guess it's worth sticking around for World's as it will be quite a year. I think it will be meltdown tme for several skaters. I think Kanako, ans Suzuki handle pressure well. Caro is unknown. Europeans was great but World's is the cooker. Judges loving Mao at 4cc. I think Suzuki the best Japanese lady and she handles pressure the best. Unsung Hero. Kinda like Reynolds who finally is appreciated in the Canada. Russian ladies are good but only Liza has a mature style. I don't think Adelina should score really high with her jumps and flexibility there but no style-mature anyway, imo.

I really expect cool as ice Yuna to do well. Maybe a pop or two but she rarely falls and her jumps are so big and rotated. She is gonna be tough to beat if she skates like at her Nationals. I always preferred Mao but Les Mis LP is really lookin good. Ashley was fourth last year and will be under self pressure to podium. I hope she stays cool as her skating really is lovely and she is so expressive. If healthy, her confidence should be there. I think Osmond is a star and will not be daunted by Ms Kim. Gosh, there are such great ladies this year. I adore Gracie-her LP at Nationals was without many smiles but wow when she is not nervous.

Will judges go with veterans like Kim, Caro, Mao? or will Sochi "elect" the fresh faces I wonder. This podium -top 5 will tell the story. If we get a third spot, who can we count on? I'd like to see Gao but only if she takes a year off to do her very best. I remember when Mirai could have had it all-she was great at 16. Still good but too nervous now to handle the pressure. It is all about mental toughness and I think Yuna Mao have that in spades. Let's see if they can keep their technique and perform. I'd bet on Yuna for worlds. I think Yuna Caro Mao are the triumvirate with so much experience. All the newbies outside of Akiko or Kanako are not pressure skaters.

I want so to be proved wrong as Ashley can be so stunning and Gold should be a superstar. I just pray they both can take one element at a time. It isn't Gracie's time I feel. I'm hoping next year is. I think Ash will have a 3x3 ready-she has to try. How much gets deducted for doublefooting a second triple in combination? I hope everyone gets behind these two ladies. I really like them a lot. When they are on, I very much enjoy them. I have about 10 favorites in the world tho, so I will be thrilled to see this event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Aren't the U.S. ladies about due for at least a decent Worlds? Really, we can't have a third year in a row with injury meltdowns, can we? Isn't some other country due for such problems instead?

I also wonder why we are seeing ladies start strong and fizzle out by Worlds. Obviously, every other country's top skaters are skating GPs, National comps, and Euros or 4CCs and still managing to peak by Worlds. Is there some other factor besides just downright bad luck at work?

At this point, my wish for the U.S. ladies at Worlds is that they are BOTH healthy and ready to go at Worlds. We haven't had that simple luxury lately.
    Neither Ashley or Gracie have any injuries unlike Rachel and Alissa. They just both need to skate the way they can and forget about that 3rd spot or even making the podium.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Everytime I come back to check GS there’s a new American ladies thread……
    However, if Makarova and Leonova have been able to bring the 3 spots to Russia for two consecutive years (in "weak" Worlds, yes, in 2012, but the 2011 competition was pretty tough), I'm sure that Ashley and Gracie can do that, too! But I don't think that Ashley can medal, maybe a 9th/4th or 8th/5th placements situation is probable...

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    Everytime I come back to check GS there’s a new American ladies thread……
    Exactly. And I don't see what new you can really talk about in this thread...
    Probably the U.S. ladies deserve a third spot with their current field (Gao would deserve it, I think). But talking this trough again won't make it happen aynway... nothings changed. Are they medal favorites? No. Can they sneak in if others falter? Yes. Can they get the third spot back? Possible, but rather unlikely.
    And to be honest, I'm more hoping that Adelina and Liza can hold that third spot for russia - with their depth in talent, it would be awful to have just two ladies next year in Sochi.

Rinkside
    Though I live in the U.S., I don't necessarily root for skaters based on nationality and I have favorites from other countries, so I wasn't as worried about the spots issue until recently. But with next year being the Olympics, and things looking like Gracie and Ashley will be most likely to go, I'd love for other U.S. skaters I appreciate like Mirai, Christina, Alissa, etc., to have a shot at getting a third spot. I wish Ashley and Gracie good luck, I hope they can do it -- and think they are able to. Ashley might be fired up and wanting to prove herself after a few recent disappointments, and she'll have time to recover from any problems due to injuries (the hip pointer?) and illness. I don't feel like I know Gracie's mindset on competition as much, whether she will go to Worlds with debilitating nervousness or nervousness combined with appropriate competitiveness and confidence, but she has been working with a sports psychologist.

I think there is too much expectation on Gracie. I love her, but there are things come with time and experience. Usually most of skaters on their first senior year don't do well. And she is handling the situation very well. Of course it is good to have 3 spots, but to win the Olympic podium we need a strong card. Just sending 3 equal ability skaters doesn't help much. Good thing that Sochi in not in US.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It doesn't help with medals, but some skaters' dreams involve just going to the Olympics first, and medalling as a secondary dream. I'd like to see at least one more of kids I have watched since they were juniors have at least part of their dreams come true.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Neither Ashley or Gracie have any injuries unlike Rachel and Alissa. They just both need to skate the way they can and forget about that 3rd spot or even making the podium.
    Rachael didn't have a fracture in her leg until a week before Worlds two year ago. Their condition at this moment is not necessarily relevant as anything can happen between now and then. I just hope that we are past that curse and that USFSA does better to make sure that no one is competing with a serious injury.

Custom Title
    Even with a leg fracture, Rachael placed 12th at Worlds 2011, higher than Ashley Wagner placed in 2008 (18th), and nowhere near as low as Czisny in 2012 (22nd).

Custom Title
    I would hope there isn't any added pressure for the ladies thinking about the 3rd spot. I think that because they both hope to finish 6th or better anyway that would be the only pressure they feel (i.e. meeting their own personal expectations). It would surprise me if they were able to get 3 spots back with the depth this year but anything is possible.

Custom Title
    They need 6th and 7th, 5th and 8th,4th and 9th.......all are possible but not particularly likely IMO.

Kim/Asada/Suzuki/Kostner/Sot/Tuk (should be top 6) with Wagner cracking if one of Suzuki/Sot or Tuk screws up the short particularly. I predict 5th for Wagner at best

Osmond/Murakami/Li/Korpii/Leonova/Marchei/Gold the next 7, Gold would have to skate lights out to get top 8, but if she did she could easily pick off 5 of those girls.

Thus 5th and 8th is a possibility IMO, 5th and 12th the most likely, however.

Custom Title
    There was a period when Finland only had one spot, 2001 - 2005, despite having 3 skaters with almost identical talent.

They had Elina Kettunen 11th @ worlds in 01, 11th at the Olympics 2002 and 5th at Europeans
    They had Susanna Poykio sent to worlds in 02 instead of Kettunen where she finished 12th, was 3rd at Junior Worlds and 6th at europeans
    Alisa Drei was sent to worlds in 2003 as she finished highest at Eurpeans but again, finished 12th
    Poykio went in 04....but....finished 12th

The point is, Finland had 3 girls at the same time capable of finishing top 10 at worlds, but only had 1 spot for 3 years because they kept falling slightly short.

Poykio finished 8th in 05 and opened the door, just in time for Korpii and 2 spots in Torino.

The point is, USA are very similar at present. They have half a dozen girls who like Finland in the early 00's, could potentially crack the top ten...but really, 3 spots are only reserved for countries where there are top ten chances AND medals. I don't see Wagner, their champion, cracking Kostner/Asada or Kim!?! And whats the point of sending an additional athlete who might come 12th!?

As soon as USA find a Lady who is better than one of Kostner/Asada/Kim or even Suzuki/Sotnikova/Tuktamasheva - THEN they'll get 3 spots!
    Last edited by jamie; 02-17-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Custom Title
    Likely Kostner, Asada, Kim, Korpi and Suzuki will all be gone after Sochi. That's when opportunities will be available for US ladies to get 3 spots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2