US ladies facing worlds | Golden Skate

US ladies facing worlds

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think we need a prayer chain for these two. i have a bad feeling Ashley and Gold repeat their failings from Nationals. Now 4cc shows Gold hasn't got confidence despite her gorgeous jumps. Ashley is such a lovely skater with good programs. I am worried for these two. I think both will fold under pressure with the 3 Japanese women who are not wilting flowers and get the marks plus Yuna and Caro. I am worried what will happen for Sochi. What are the best guesses for Ash and gold? Realistically what placements are we prognosticating?

I am nervous for them.

rkuang

Rinkside
I think we need a prayer chain for these two. i have a bad feeling Ashley and Gold repeat their failings from Nationals. Now 4cc shows Gold hasn't got confidence despite her gorgeous jumps. Ashley is such a lovely skater with good programs. I am worried for these two. I think both will fold under pressure with the 3 Japanese women who are not wilting flowers and get the marks plus Yuna and Caro. I am worried what will happen for Sochi. What are the best guesses for Ash and gold? Realistically what placements are we prognosticating?

I am nervous for them.

I agree that their chances of getting the three spots back will be difficult. I expected more from Gracie, honestly. Ashley is a bit of a question mark because she's recovering. I either see her really amping up her fight because of her last two poor showings, or her old doubts will start to creep back. It also depends on whether she has the triple-triple. I think she could still be a darkhorse bronze if someone slips up. I don't think Gracie will crack top 5. Ashley, top 5 possibly. They'll both need help.

While Kim and Carolina are both strong contenders, their lack of competition this season also makes them a bit unpredictable. Either way, it'll be a great, intense competition.

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Gracie has little experience of international competitions. I think she is at the level of 8th or 9th at Worlds. Don't forget Chinese girls. Zijun Li may beat Gracie if she is clean, too. So the chance of 3 spots depends mostly on Ashley in this case. If she skates clean, she has a good chance of making top 5. Maybe they will barely take three spots with the results like 5th and 8th or 4th and 9th.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie has little experience of international competitions. I think she is at the level of 8th or 9th at Worlds. Don't forget Chinese girls. Zijun Li may beat Gracie if she is clean, too. So the chance of 3 spots depends mostly on Ashley in this case. If she skates clean, she has a good chance of making top 5. Maybe they will barely take three spots with the results like 5th and 8th or 4th and 9th.

As awful as Gracie was at 4CC Zijun Li only beat her by about 4 points. A clean Gracie would easily beat Li.

lakeside

On the Ice
Everytime I come back to check GS there’s a new American ladies thread…… :slink: Anyway best wishes to Gracie. I really like her new exhibition program.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No need to be melodramatic. Cocnern perhaps but Gracie and Ashley will do fine. They have a good shot at 3 spots; remember other skaters and nations would like something too Russia must be world about getting three spots, Canada wojuld like two spots reasonably and that will play a factor. Best scenario is Ashley medals and Gracie is in th. worst is one places 9th or 10th and the other just out of the top ten - surely they cannot do an Alyssa that was unbelievable. The federation should have asked for some money back from her training - joking but Cizsnhy some how is treated better than Flatt. Joking. I think Gold and Wagner will do the grand ole USA proud.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm from the U.S and I'm more interested to see how the Russian girls, Carolina, Akiko, Mao and Yu na will do. Good or bad I just didn't have expectations for the U.S. girls but who knows...they can wow at the event.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'm from the U.S and I'm more interested to see how the Russian girls, Carolina, Akiko, Mao and Yu na will do. Good or bad I just didn't have expectations for the U.S. girls but who knows...they can wow at the event.

This. I've lowered my expectations for Ashley and Gracie simply b/c the competition is fierce this year. Ashley will need a repeat of TEB (with some extra triples) to make it to the podium...and that very well might not be enough depending on how the others skate. Gracie has wonderful jumps but she's hit or miss this season. It'd be great if she finally pulls it all together but I'm very doubtful of her making that happen, especially after 4CC.

I'm excited to see Mao, Yu-Na and Carolina go head-to-head-to-head. That's the main story line of this year's worlds. Mao's pulling out her big tricks again...Carolina is the defending champ and is looking strong...Yu-Na hasn't competed at this level in two years but she's a front-runner...

Then we've got the debuting Russians coming off of amazing performances at Europeans...Kaetlyn debuting at worlds on home soil...Zijun Li making her debut...Kiira is supposedly coming back from injury...and of course Akiko and Kanako are top 10 threats...

The level of competition will be amazing. To me, Ashley and Gracie are almost a bit of an afterthought at this point. I really hope they earn that 3rd spot back but at this point, I'm not holding my breath nor do I expect them to do it. If they do, it will be a nice surprise.

lavender

Record Breaker
I agree Kwanatic and I'm also more of a fan of the ladies NOT from the U.S.. I like Gracie but she has to become a complete skater with some good choreo for me to root for....win or lose.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What I find strange is that in the last few years our women do well in the early part of the season (GP series, senior B's, etc) but by the time Nationals rolls around they begin to wilt and by Worlds they typically don't bring anywhere close to their peak form. We had two women in the GPF yet there's a very good chance we won't have two skaters place high enough to get us three spots for the Olympics. It's frustrating to see these women peak early then be surpassed by other skaters late in the season.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Well so far the score to crack top 5 is 190+ and Caro, Adelina, Eliza, Yuna, Mao, Akiko and Wagner had cracked. How serious is Ashley injury?? If she is recovered and can repeat her first two GP performance, top 5 is guarentee.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well so far the score to crack top 5 is 190+ and Caro, Adelina, Eliza, Yuna, Mao, Akiko and Wagner had cracked. How serious is Ashley injury?? If she is recovered and can repeat her first two GP performance, top 5 is guarentee.

Seven skaters have scored 190+, so that won't guarantee her a top 5 finish if everyone skates their best. IIRC she is also the only one of these who doesn't attempt a 3/3 in the SP and tends to finish behind skaters who do achieve that, so she could find herself in the penultimate group even if she's clean in the SP.

flying camel

Medalist
I hope Ashley has had time to rest up for Worlds. She just looked tired and burnt out at nationals. If she can bring back her spark and confidence she had all season she should do really well. We have to face the fact that Gracie is going to have some mistakes. She is just not ready for prime time. I hope her coaches tell her to skate for herself and not for anyone else. I' m sure she has made many sacrifices to skate. I feel like if she can just hold her sp together and skate ok in the lp she can finish top ten.

louisa05

Final Flight
Aren't the U.S. ladies about due for at least a decent Worlds? Really, we can't have a third year in a row with injury meltdowns, can we? Isn't some other country due for such problems instead?

I also wonder why we are seeing ladies start strong and fizzle out by Worlds. Obviously, every other country's top skaters are skating GPs, National comps, and Euros or 4CCs and still managing to peak by Worlds. Is there some other factor besides just downright bad luck at work?

At this point, my wish for the U.S. ladies at Worlds is that they are BOTH healthy and ready to go at Worlds. We haven't had that simple luxury lately.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Simple question. What exactly is Ash's physical state...Practice reports? I guess it's worth sticking around for World's as it will be quite a year. I think it will be meltdown tme for several skaters. I think Kanako, ans Suzuki handle pressure well. Caro is unknown. Europeans was great but World's is the cooker. Judges loving Mao at 4cc. I think Suzuki the best Japanese lady and she handles pressure the best. Unsung Hero. Kinda like Reynolds who finally is appreciated in the Canada. Russian ladies are good but only Liza has a mature style. I don't think Adelina should score really high with her jumps and flexibility there but no style-mature anyway, imo.

I really expect cool as ice Yuna to do well. Maybe a pop or two but she rarely falls and her jumps are so big and rotated. She is gonna be tough to beat if she skates like at her Nationals. I always preferred Mao but Les Mis LP is really lookin good. Ashley was fourth last year and will be under self pressure to podium. I hope she stays cool as her skating really is lovely and she is so expressive. If healthy, her confidence should be there. I think Osmond is a star and will not be daunted by Ms Kim. Gosh, there are such great ladies this year. I adore Gracie-her LP at Nationals was without many smiles but wow when she is not nervous.

Will judges go with veterans like Kim, Caro, Mao? or will Sochi "elect" the fresh faces I wonder. This podium -top 5 will tell the story. If we get a third spot, who can we count on? I'd like to see Gao but only if she takes a year off to do her very best. I remember when Mirai could have had it all-she was great at 16. Still good but too nervous now to handle the pressure. It is all about mental toughness and I think Yuna Mao have that in spades. Let's see if they can keep their technique and perform. I'd bet on Yuna for worlds. I think Yuna Caro Mao are the triumvirate with so much experience. All the newbies outside of Akiko or Kanako are not pressure skaters.

I want so to be proved wrong as Ashley can be so stunning and Gold should be a superstar. I just pray they both can take one element at a time. It isn't Gracie's time I feel. I'm hoping next year is. I think Ash will have a 3x3 ready-she has to try. How much gets deducted for doublefooting a second triple in combination? I hope everyone gets behind these two ladies. I really like them a lot. When they are on, I very much enjoy them. I have about 10 favorites in the world tho, so I will be thrilled to see this event.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aren't the U.S. ladies about due for at least a decent Worlds? Really, we can't have a third year in a row with injury meltdowns, can we? Isn't some other country due for such problems instead?

I also wonder why we are seeing ladies start strong and fizzle out by Worlds. Obviously, every other country's top skaters are skating GPs, National comps, and Euros or 4CCs and still managing to peak by Worlds. Is there some other factor besides just downright bad luck at work?

At this point, my wish for the U.S. ladies at Worlds is that they are BOTH healthy and ready to go at Worlds. We haven't had that simple luxury lately.
Neither Ashley or Gracie have any injuries unlike Rachel and Alissa. They just both need to skate the way they can and forget about that 3rd spot or even making the podium.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Everytime I come back to check GS there’s a new American ladies thread…… :slink:
:agree::laugh: However, if Makarova and Leonova have been able to bring the 3 spots to Russia for two consecutive years (in "weak" Worlds, yes, in 2012, but the 2011 competition was pretty tough), I'm sure that Ashley and Gracie can do that, too! But I don't think that Ashley can medal, maybe a 9th/4th or 8th/5th placements situation is probable...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
lakeside said:
Everytime I come back to check GS there’s a new American ladies thread……

Exactly. And I don't see what new you can really talk about in this thread...
Probably the U.S. ladies deserve a third spot with their current field (Gao would deserve it, I think). But talking this trough again won't make it happen aynway... nothings changed. Are they medal favorites? No. Can they sneak in if others falter? Yes. Can they get the third spot back? Possible, but rather unlikely.
And to be honest, I'm more hoping that Adelina and Liza can hold that third spot for russia - with their depth in talent, it would be awful to have just two ladies next year in Sochi.

avalyn

Rinkside
Though I live in the U.S., I don't necessarily root for skaters based on nationality and I have favorites from other countries, so I wasn't as worried about the spots issue until recently. But with next year being the Olympics, and things looking like Gracie and Ashley will be most likely to go, I'd love for other U.S. skaters I appreciate like Mirai, Christina, Alissa, etc., to have a shot at getting a third spot. I wish Ashley and Gracie good luck, I hope they can do it -- and think they are able to. Ashley might be fired up and wanting to prove herself after a few recent disappointments, and she'll have time to recover from any problems due to injuries (the hip pointer?) and illness. I don't feel like I know Gracie's mindset on competition as much, whether she will go to Worlds with debilitating nervousness or nervousness combined with appropriate competitiveness and confidence, but she has been working with a sports psychologist.