How to take 3 spots for Sochi? | Golden Skate

How to take 3 spots for Sochi?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
What places do sportsmen need to take to deserve 3 spots for their country? What countries have the biggest chance and in what disciplines?
Where do Russian girls must place to achieve 3 spots? Realistically they are too green to place very high - the judges won't give it to them. So what? We have an amazing pool of upcoming girls who might not have a chance to test themselves in Olympics...Unfaaaaair!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
What places do sportsmen need to take to deserve 3 spots for their country? What countries have the biggest chance and in what disciplines?
Where do Russian girls must place to achieve 3 spots? Realistically they are too green to place very high - the judges won't give it to them. So what? We have an amazing pool of upcoming girls who might not have a chance to test themselves in Olympics...Unfaaaaair!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
Worlds is the first qualifying event for the Olympics. It works in a similar way to how spots are qualified for the next year's Worlds:

* For countries with two or more skaters - to get or retain three slots, the combined placements of the top two cannot exceed 13. For example, at last year's Worlds, Chan was first and Reynolds 12th. Together, this was just good enough to qualify a third spot for Canada. To retain two spots, the combined placements of the top two cannot exceed 28. Lower-ranked skaters get no worse than 18 in this calculation, so it's not that hard to do, but it's not automatic, either; last year, Gachinski and Voronov were 17th and 18th, and Russia went down to one men's spot.

* For countries with a single skater - to qualify three slots, that skater needs to finish in the top 2 (I think). To qualify two, that skater needs to finish in the top ten. For instance, at 2009 Worlds, Denis Ten finished in the top 10, qualifying two slots for Kazakhstan for the Olympics; Abzal Rakimgaliev was the beneficiary of the second spot. OTOH, Carolina Kostner finished outside the top ten, which essentially meant that Valentina Marchei was out of luck for the next season.

In order to qualify a single entry to the Olympics, I think it's something like top 20 or so.

There are some Olympic slots left open after Worlds. For countries which did not qualify a single entry to the Olympics at the previous season's Worlds, a fall senior B is the qualifying event for the Olympics. This is the last chance to qualify Olympic entries, cannot be used if a country has already qualified a spot in that discipline, and can only be used to qualify one spot per discipline. In 2009-10, The Nebelhorn Trophy served as that event, and this was where Stephane Lambiel got his Olympic ticket.

The Olympics are not a test event and promising young skaters are not entitled to a shot at competing there. You have to qualify the spots and you have to be among the best from your own country. We've seen more accomplished skaters than some of the young Russian ladies miss out, and while it's unfortunate, it's not unfair. Everyone knows the qualifying procedure and it's up to the skaters to perform well enough to go.

Last edited:

FTnoona

Final Flight
The Russian ladies already have 3 spots for 2013 worlds. The top two finishers have to have placements that add up to less than or equal to 13. So it's up to the ladies going to worlds to put up performances that will keep the spots. Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva shouldn't have too difficult of a time keeping the 3 spots. It doesn't seem any less fair than any other country battling it out for their spots at worlds.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
We have an amazing pool of upcoming girls who might not have a chance to test themselves in Olympics...Unfaaaaair!:cry::cry::cry:

Don't cry, koatcue :) because I echo what FTnoona says here! Adelina and Liza will do just fine in London and keep 3 spots for Russia next month. :yes:

Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva shouldn't have too difficult of a time keeping the 3 spots. It doesn't seem any less fair than any other country battling it out for their spots at worlds.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Even If sotnikova and tuktamisheva have problems in the short programs with Liza falling and sotnikova singling her triple flip both have shown they can do a strong free skate and if one has a good sp than that should place them in the top 6 and if both had a good sp both in top 6. I think lowest possibility for 3 spots is 6 and 7th place which is very do-able. Third spot holder gosviani would if she skated well be just outside top 10 I think. It's so doubtful anyone else would go from the frequently meaningless Russia cup final.

Of course for Japan getting three spots in both men and ladies There is no doubt.

pohatta

On the Ice
3 spots for Russian ladies is likely to happen, but they can't afford big mistakes. There are at least 10 ladies capable of reaching 175-180 points, and if one of the Russians ends up 10th with some mistakes, the other one needs to get a medal.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I hope the Russians and Americans each get 3 spots but I hope so for Russia more. Not so patriotic of me but the Russian ladies are SO deep now.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not so sure. If say Kim, Asada, Kostner, Wagner, Suzuki, Korpi, Gold, Murakami and then you have Liza and Adeline well iti s good bye three spots.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am not so sure. If say Kim, Asada, Kostner, Wagner, Suzuki, Korpi, Gold, Murakami and then you have Liza and Adeline well iti s good bye three spots.

I could be wrong but I do not see any possibility at this point that Gold could beat both Russians. I don't even think she could beat one of them but I don't totally rule that out.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could be wrong but I do not see any possibility at this point that Gold could beat both Russians. I don't even think she could beat one of them but I don't totally rule that out.
Gracie has beaten Sotnikova twice in the last year so it's possible when she's on her game.

gmyers

Record Breaker
And sotnikova is really off hers - that's when she's beaten her. When sotnikova can't do flip and falls that's when. Flip is sitnikovas worst jump. She singles it very often.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It will be hard for the US and Russia to get 3 spots. Let's assume YK/MA/CK take the top 3 spots. Some combination of spots 4 through 9 will get the job done. For example: RUS (4th) US (5th) ?(6) ?(7) US(8) RUS (9). This result would give the US and Russia 3 spots (barely). Now look at all the skaters who might fill in slots 6 and 7: Akiko, Kanako, Korpii, K Zhang, Osmond, Elene G. One US lady has to beat all of them (and one or two of the top Russians) and the other has to beat 4 of them (and maybe one top Russian). It doesn't look promising to me for the US, but I think AS and ET can do it for Russia.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
It will be hard for the US and Russia to get 3 spots. Let's assume YK/MA/CK take the top 3 spots. Some combination of spots 4 through 9 will get the job done. For example: RUS (4th) US (5th) ?(6) ?(7) US(8) RUS (9). This result would give the US and Russia 3 spots (barely). Now look at all the skaters who might fill in slots 6 and 7: Akiko, Kanako, Korpii, K Zhang, Osmond, Elene G. One US lady has to beat all of them (and one or two of the top Russians) and the other has to beat 4 of them (and maybe one top Russian). It doesn't look promising to me for the US, but I think AS and ET can do it for Russia.

To tell the truth, I didn't think about them at all..I think ET and AS can beat them without problem...I was only concerned about the place they should finish to earn these needed spots.
Thanks everybody for enlightening me! Now I think they can make it.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Now I think they can make it.

:yes::agree::clap:

Fans are more or less the same, I think; either worry too much, try to expect less/worse, or even prepare for the worst. I myself, for instance, woke up in the middle of the night after 4CC by a nightmare that Japan to lose Mens 3rd spot for Sochi...lol

npavel

On the Ice
I wouldn't count out and Marchei and Li on that list. If you compare EC and FC you see she had beaten Gold and Li. So, you see all of them can't even make the top ten.

Slowdive

On the Ice
If the USA, Russia and Japan don't all earn 3 ladies spots for Sochi, I'll dance naked with the mailman.
:party::party2:

guanchi

On the Ice
This just in- mail carriers across the country, who previously had no interest in figure skating, are all rooting for USA, Russia, and Japan to get their 3 spots in ladies for Sochi.