Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How to take 3 spots for Sochi?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Now I think they can make it.

Fans are more or less the same, I think; either worry too much, try to expect less/worse, or even prepare for the worst. I myself, for instance, woke up in the middle of the night after 4CC by a nightmare that Japan to lose Mens 3rd spot for Sochi...lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It will be hard for the US and Russia to get 3 spots. Let's assume YK/MA/CK take the top 3 spots. Some combination of spots 4 through 9 will get the job done. For example: RUS (4th) US (5th) ?(6) ?(7) US(8) RUS (9). This result would give the US and Russia 3 spots (barely). Now look at all the skaters who might fill in slots 6 and 7: Akiko, Kanako, Korpii, K Zhang, Osmond, Elene G. One US lady has to beat all of them (and one or two of the top Russians) and the other has to beat 4 of them (and maybe one top Russian). It doesn't look promising to me for the US, but I think AS and ET can do it for Russia.
    I wouldn't count out and Marchei and Li on that list. If you compare EC and FC you see she had beaten Gold and Li. So, you see all of them can't even make the top ten.

If the USA, Russia and Japan don't all earn 3 ladies spots for Sochi, I'll dance naked with the mailman.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowdive View Post
    If the USA, Russia and Japan don't all earn 3 ladies spots for Sochi, I'll dance naked with the mailman.
    Take pictures

Custom Title
    This just in- mail carriers across the country, who previously had no interest in figure skating, are all rooting for USA, Russia, and Japan to get their 3 spots in ladies for Sochi.

Custom Title
    Be sure to video that dance and post in You tube so all of us can watch. (I bet you have had previous fantasies about that lmao)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    This just in- mail carriers across the country, who previously had no interest in figure skating, are all rooting for USA, Russia, and Japan to get their 3 spots in ladies for Sochi.
    Thanks to you and Slodive for a great laugh during a tough day! (Now back to office work.)

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Be sure to video that dance and post in You tube so all of us can watch. (I bet you have had previous fantasies about that lmao)
    Mostly with the UPS guy at work
    In all seriousness I would be very much surprised if the 3 countries didn't send 3 ladies to Sochi (considering the depth in the ladies field for each country).
    If the total placement cannot exceed 13 at worlds, I don't see any real problems with this happening (unless Korpi or Osmond stir things up a bit at worlds). The only other ladies I can think of to place high enough are, of course, Kim and Kostner.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks to you and Slodive for a great laugh during a tough day! (Now back to office work.)
    Glad to help

Custom Title
    Mostly with the UPS guy at work
    In all seriousness I would be very much surprised if the 3 countries didn't send 3 ladies to Sochi (considering the depth in the ladies field for each country).
    If the total placement cannot exceed 13 at worlds, I don't see any real problems with this happening (unless Korpi or Osmond stir things up a bit at worlds). The only other ladies I can think of to place high enough are, of course, Kim and Kostner.
    A clean Marchei, Li, Korpi and Osmond could definitely prevent the USA or even Russia from getting three spots. Japan could as well, of course.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    A clean Marchei, Li, Korpi and Osmond could definitely prevent the USA or even Russia from getting three spots. Japan could as well, of course.
    If somehow Gracie and Wagner could skate clean they would both finish ahead of those skaters.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    If somehow Gracie and Wagner could skate clean they would both finish ahead of those skaters.
    Big "if" though. Our two women seem headed in the wrong direction given their recent results. However, no one has skated error-free this season so anything can happen.

I'm wondering what Ashley's strategy is going to be. Will she be going for more difficult combinations in hopes of competing for a podium spot (dependent upon errors from one or more of the top three) or will she be content with a Top 6 finish and attempt her watered-down 2 triple SP and 6 triple LP? I think if she's clean with the easier content she will place 5th or 6th because many of the skaters will make errors, but if she goes for the higher difficulty and falls she could find herself closer to 10th.

Custom Title
    Personally I think her best strategy is to go with easier content. I think it's just too risky to suddenly throw triple/triples when she hasn't landed a single one all season. If she'd at least tried it in a previous comp, even if not landed 100%, I'd be better with it.

Of course, she'll probably do just the opposite of my advice and land two combos, thereby proving me totally wrong. :-)

Custom Title
    Gracie seems to have one bad competition then one good one. Hopefully that means she is due to skate better then she did at 4CC.

Custom Title
    Beyond the top 3, (in this order) there could be Akiko, Liza, Kanako, Korpi, Gold, Adelina, Wagner, Li, Osmond.

Note that we are seeing a (very likely) situation that nobody but Korea (if Kim places first) and Japan gets three spots, and everybody falls right into their deserved places give or take. Canada doesn't even get two spots and this is when Osmond does reasonable. Ladies is just crazy deep this year. US isn't looking good with Wagner's difficulty.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast