How to take 3 spots for Sochi? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How to take 3 spots for Sochi?

Icey

Record Breaker
If the USA, Russia and Japan don't all earn 3 ladies spots for Sochi, I'll dance naked with the mailman.
:party::party2:

Be sure to video that dance and post in You tube so all of us can watch. (I bet you have had previous fantasies about that lmao)

This just in- mail carriers across the country, who previously had no interest in figure skating, are all rooting for USA, Russia, and Japan to get their 3 spots in ladies for Sochi.

Thanks to you and Slodive for a great laugh during a tough day! (Now back to office work.)

Slowdive

On the Ice
Be sure to video that dance and post in You tube so all of us can watch. (I bet you have had previous fantasies about that lmao)
Mostly with the UPS guy at work ;)
In all seriousness I would be very much surprised if the 3 countries didn't send 3 ladies to Sochi (considering the depth in the ladies field for each country).
If the total placement cannot exceed 13 at worlds, I don't see any real problems with this happening (unless Korpi or Osmond stir things up a bit at worlds). The only other ladies I can think of to place high enough are, of course, Kim and Kostner.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Mostly with the UPS guy at work ;)
In all seriousness I would be very much surprised if the 3 countries didn't send 3 ladies to Sochi (considering the depth in the ladies field for each country).
If the total placement cannot exceed 13 at worlds, I don't see any real problems with this happening (unless Korpi or Osmond stir things up a bit at worlds). The only other ladies I can think of to place high enough are, of course, Kim and Kostner.

A clean Marchei, Li, Korpi and Osmond could definitely prevent the USA or even Russia from getting three spots. Japan could as well, of course.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A clean Marchei, Li, Korpi and Osmond could definitely prevent the USA or even Russia from getting three spots. Japan could as well, of course.

If somehow Gracie and Wagner could skate clean they would both finish ahead of those skaters.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If somehow Gracie and Wagner could skate clean they would both finish ahead of those skaters.

Big "if" though. Our two women seem headed in the wrong direction given their recent results. However, no one has skated error-free this season so anything can happen.

I'm wondering what Ashley's strategy is going to be. Will she be going for more difficult combinations in hopes of competing for a podium spot (dependent upon errors from one or more of the top three) or will she be content with a Top 6 finish and attempt her watered-down 2 triple SP and 6 triple LP? I think if she's clean with the easier content she will place 5th or 6th because many of the skaters will make errors, but if she goes for the higher difficulty and falls she could find herself closer to 10th.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Personally I think her best strategy is to go with easier content. I think it's just too risky to suddenly throw triple/triples when she hasn't landed a single one all season. If she'd at least tried it in a previous comp, even if not landed 100%, I'd be better with it.

Of course, she'll probably do just the opposite of my advice and land two combos, thereby proving me totally wrong. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie seems to have one bad competition then one good one. Hopefully that means she is due to skate better then she did at 4CC.

noidont

Final Flight
Beyond the top 3, (in this order) there could be Akiko, Liza, Kanako, Korpi, Gold, Adelina, Wagner, Li, Osmond.

Note that we are seeing a (very likely) situation that nobody but Korea (if Kim places first) and Japan gets three spots, and everybody falls right into their deserved places give or take. Canada doesn't even get two spots and this is when Osmond does reasonable. Ladies is just crazy deep this year. US isn't looking good with Wagner's difficulty.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Note that we are seeing a (very likely) situation that nobody but Korea (if Kim places first) and Japan gets three spots, and everybody falls right into their deserved places give or take. Canada doesn't even get two spots and this is when Osmond does reasonable. Ladies is just crazy deep this year. US isn't looking good with Wagner's difficulty.

I actually think Italy has a better chance of getting 3 than the US, on the basis of Carolina's likely strong showing and Marchei's ability to place in 11th or better. Leonova going to Worlds now also can shake things up a bit. If she can skate relatively well she can push some skaters down another spot, whereas Nikol likely not would have.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Leonova going to Worlds now also can shake things up a bit. If she can skate relatively well she can push some skaters down another spot, whereas Nikol likely not would have.

Has this been confirmed and if so where. I know she won the Russia Cup but I was of the impression Russia had still not announced the team.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Personally I think her best strategy is to go with easier content. I think it's just too risky to suddenly throw triple/triples when she hasn't landed a single one all season. If she'd at least tried it in a previous comp, even if not landed 100%, I'd be better with it.

Of course, she'll probably do just the opposite of my advice and land two combos, thereby proving me totally wrong. :)

right. I really don't see her trying it unless she has really been spot on in practice the week before. If Ashley can be clean (which we all know she can), she is top 5 material, even medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
right. I really don't see her trying it unless she has really been spot on in practice the week before. If Ashley can be clean (which we all know she can), she is top 5 material, even medal.

The problem is that Ashley is going to lose the SP to anyone in the top 10 who does a 3/3. She lost a SP to Julia L and would have lost to Agnes if Agnes were clean at Nats. So if Ashley is outside the top 6 she simply is not going to get the marks to put her on the podium with another group left to skate. There are 5 new skaters this year who can easily place ahead of Ashley if clean in the SP (AS, ET, GG, KO, and Yuna who did not skate at Worlds last year) in addition to those who beat her last year. Yes, she might be only 2 or 3 points behind some of them, but the problem is being in that penultimate group puts a skater at a scoring disadvantage.

snsd

On the Ice
The problem is that Ashley is going to lose the SP to anyone in the top 10 who does a 3/3. She lost a SP to Julia L and would have lost to Agnes if Agnes were clean at Nats. So if Ashley is outside the top 6 she simply is not going to get the marks to put her on the podium with another group left to skate. There are 5 new skaters this year who can easily place ahead of Ashley if clean in the SP (AS, ET, GG, KO, and Yuna who did not skate at Worlds last year) in addition to those who beat her last year. Yes, she might be only 2 or 3 points behind some of them, but the problem is being in that penultimate group puts a skater at a scoring disadvantage.

I agree. I think Ashley is going to be really pushing it to make top 6 if everyone else skates a clean short due to the amount of girls doing triple triple combos.

I think this is going to be one of the most exciting worlds for all disciplines for a long time.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I think this is going to be one of the most exciting worlds for all disciplines for a long time.

Personally I think the pre-Olympic Worlds is usually the best of the quad. Just think of 2009 Worlds in L.A. and the incredible skating that happened there. It's less than 12 months before the Olympics, and everyone knows it's time to start bringing their A-game.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually think Italy has a better chance of getting 3 than the US, on the basis of Carolina's likely strong showing and Marchei's ability to place in 11th or better. Leonova going to Worlds now also can shake things up a bit. If she can skate relatively well she can push some skaters down another spot, whereas Nikol likely not would have.

And how sad is that? Italy doesn't even have a third skater good enough to go to Worlds. Heck there's so little competition there Carolina doesn't even have to skate at her Nationals to make the team. To be honest she's lucky she didn't compete in the US or else with all her meltdowns in the past she would have be dumped or passed up by other skaters.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
And how sad is that? Italy doesn't even have a third skater good enough to go to Worlds. Heck there's so little competition there Carolina doesn't even have to skate at her Nationals to make the team. To be honest she's lucky she didn't compete in the US or else with all her meltdowns in the past she would have be dumped or passed up by other skaters.

I doubt they would dump her in the US. She's way better than all US girls since Michelle. And Michelle is better by her amazing consistency.
US likes potential, and actively promotes people like Agnes, Gracie, and Ashley who bombed again and again and with no upshot. If Ashley/Agnes/Gracies improved their PCS with crappier skates at National, you bet they will hand out 80 in PCS for Carolina even with 5 falls.

In 2009 where she bombed big time at World, she made it to the GPF, medaled at the GPF, 2nd at Euro. Who did we send in 2009? Flatt and Alissa. If Carolina was at US National that year, Alissa wouldn't be near the podium, they have a real PCS queen to take her place.

In 2010, she fell apart at Nat, but won Euro with a gorgeous 3f-3t. If she was in US Nat, she could either place 2nd or 3rd, maybe even 1st. Not sure if they would send Mirai over Carolina to the Olympics.

So, no, don't see US dumping their best chance at a world medal.

hanca

Record Breaker
Gracie has beaten Sotnikova twice in the last year so it's possible when she's on her game.

Yes but Gracie skated well at the beginning of the season and Sotnikova skated badly. I think it turned the other way now. Gracie has not been skating that well and Sotnikova is skating great, so I wouldn't rely on the fact that Gracie beat Sotnikova before....

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yes but Gracie skated well at the beginning of the season and Sotnikova skated badly. I think it turned the other way now. Gracie has not been skating that well and Sotnikova is skating great, so I wouldn't rely on the fact that Gracie beat Sotnikova before....

In reality, they've both been hot and cold all season. Sotnikova skated well at EUROPEANS, before that she had a decent Nationals, bad COR, okay SA, and okay Nebelhorn. Gracie had an okay SLC, bad SC, decent COR, overall good Nationals but was fabulous in the FS there, and an okay/not-so-great 4CC. They are pretty comparable IMO, Sotnikova's best competition this season just happens to have been her most recent whereas Gracie's was earlier.