Torvill & Dean admit romantic past | Golden Skate

Torvill & Dean admit romantic past

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After years of speculation, gold-medal winning ice skating duo Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean have admitted to a past romantic relationship.

More

and more....

KKonas

Medalist
Karen Barber was Nicky Slater's partner who followed Torvill & Dean as British Ice Dance champions, so Dean and Barber have known each other for years. Slater often commentates on ice dancing on British Eurosport TV.

Icey

Record Breaker
That is more than I care to know. Can't people keep some parts of their lives private? Self-admitted liars, both.

rkuang

Rinkside
This really doesn't surprise me. Now if only Tessa and Scott would stop singing the same tune...

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Is there more? Because i must have missed the confession. "Dabbling" doesn't exactly sound like a relationship to me.

I had to chuckle when I noticed what this poster said under the Telegraph article:

Please do DT journalists have any updates on Pyramus and Thisbe? Eloise and Abelard?

[Olympia here again:] Yes, why after all these years is this some kind of scoop? Besides being none of our business....

aims

Rinkside
Not surprised if any of the pairs or ice dancers are or were in a relationship with each other. They're human after all.
What I'd hate see is the off-ice break-up becoming the reason of the on-ice break-up. (Of course they'll never publicly admit it, I suppose, but I do suspect a few...will never know for sure)

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
They always denied strenuously any Romantic involvement so now their auto bio could be rewritten a little I guess. What would anyone have said in the past if they did admit it?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Not surprised if any of the pairs or ice dancers are or were in a relationship with each other. They're human after all.
What I'd hate see is the off-ice break-up becoming the reason of the on-ice break-up. (Of course they'll never publicly admit it, I suppose, but I do suspect a few...will never know for sure)

It nearly wrecked Dube/Davison's career, something he admitted.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Ditto....on the web, I was looking for a pic of Karen and instead found a long detailed interview Karen gave about her boob job a year ago. To paraphrase Nancy Kerigan..."Wwwwwhhhhhhhyyyyyyyy?"
Chris who likes Jill Trenary and doesnt even know her.

Icey

Record Breaker
to dabble; is to dip your toe into a specific subject.:biggrin: (I wonder if that means they had a foot fetish:laugh:)

heyang

Record Breaker
As long as they weren't in relationships with others at the time and didn't break up the team, does it really matter?

It's perfectly natural for a pair or dance team to develop potential romantic feelings for each other. They spend a lot of time with each other and are experiencing the same troubles and triumphs together. As teams, they need to trust and rely on each other. Some 'dabble' until they decide which is more important - a romance or the team. (Brasseur/Eisler) Others take the chance and then have to deal with the failure of the romance while still skating together. (Wortzel/Steuer. Usova/Zhulin. Bechke/Petrov. Sale/Peltier). Others take the chance and succeed (Gordeeva/Grinkov. Shen/Zhao. Meno/Sands.)

Icey

Record Breaker
Heyang, Dean's first wife, Isabelle Duchesnay, was famously jealous of Jayne and referred to her as the 'other woman' in their marriage.

Josie

Rinkside
Heyang, Dean's first wife, Isabelle Duchesnay, was famously jealous of Jayne and referred to her as the 'other woman' in their marriage.
First of, when T/D were admittedly dabbling, they were 17 and 16. When they accquainted Isabelle and her brother in summer of '82, they were 24 and 23, and the dabbling must have been history.
Second, I can't remember any interview of Isabelle so far with her saying or even hinting that she was jealous of Jayne. I can remember reading that Isabelle felt Jayne was jealous of her (say, the other way round, what makes more sense to me, too).
Third, Isabelle was often quoted as saying that Jayne was 'the other woman' in their marriage. Given that she truely said that (we know the yellow press, don't we?) it doesn't have to be meant in a sense of romantic relationship. I guess she referred to Jayne demanding very much of Dean's time for skating, keeping him away from his married life.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I've always wondered what happened to Isabelle Duchesnay and Jill Trenary. Dean certainly has had quite the romantic history . . .

Icey

Record Breaker
Josie, where did you get the ages at which the dabbling occurred? My statement about jealousy came from an article I read a few days ago. I didn't just make it up. Will try to relocate. In any case, Dean himself said that Isabelle thought of Jayne as the third person in their marriage. That feeling would incite some jealousy in most people I would think.

heyang

Record Breaker
There's almost always going to be tension with one's husband works closely with another woman, especially if you don't like the person. From what I've read, Jayne and Isabelle didn't care for each other from the start, although Jayne did like Jill. I'm gonna hazard a guess that Isabelle and Chris were too young to be married to each other , especially since Chris was coaching Isabelle and Paul, as well. There was tension because she wanted him to dedicate more time to coaching while he had other professional obligations with Jayne, as well.

Not sure what happened with Jill and Chris. I think some of it had to do with her staying in Colorado with their sons while he travelled extensively for work. I think she started staying home when their eldest became school aged.

Icey

Record Breaker
Quote from Article: In the early Nineties, Chris was married briefly to French-Canadian skater ­Isabelle Duchesnay, who was famously jealous of Jayne, referring to her as the ‘other woman’ in their marriage. Patting Jayne on the leg, Chris says now: ‘This is the one marriage that lasted.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...swers-tantalising-question-Jayne-Torvill.html

Could someone refresh my memory about how to do quotes.

Last edited: