Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Counter Clockwise rotation vs. Clockwise rotation

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I'd guess that Torvill & Dean might be the poster dance couple for this. Jayne Torvill competed in pairs before teaming up with Christopher Dean to do ice dance and she was a clockwise rotator in her singles/pairs skills. I'm not sure if Christopher Dean ever competed in any other disciplines, but if he's part of the majority that rotate anti-clockwise I'd guess they are opposite skaters. If you look back at some of their routines - they sometimes include a lift/throw that involves Jayne being spun outwards and she usually (always) rotates anti-clockwise in that move. I also think they did a routine on Dancing on Ice in the past few weeks that had her spinning on her own and she spun anti-clockwise.
    antmanb, Good to see you back!

Interesting stuff about Torvill & Dean my forever favorite ice dancers.

Custom Title
    Sonia Henie did clockwise Lutz jumps and the remainder of her jumps and spins in a counterclockwise direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    I know there are skaters like Caro, Wagner, and Weir who turns clockwise. Which skaters in the past, (before CoP era) turned clockwise?
    Scott & Duhlebon were clockwise jumpers.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I've always been wondering about this ever since I watched figure skating.
    I know majority of skaters rotate counter clockwise when they are executing their jumps, and there are few who executes clockwise.

What's the reason for them to turn clockwise?
    Are certain jumps easier/harder when doing clockwise (compared to counter clockwise)? Iknow there are skaters like Caro, Wagner, and Weir who turns clockwise. Which skaters in the past, (before CoP era) turned clockwise?
    Yes, it is mainly to do with the left-hand, right-hand preference of a skater. Although some skaters, like Karen Magnussen for example learn to jump and spin in both directions. At one time it was thuought to be better for the skaters conditioning and overall balance to be able to do their jumps and spins both clockwise and counterclockwise. I am not sure if this is the thinking by today's coaches. Skaters must also learn to do their edges, and cross-cuts clockwise and counterclockwise for their basic skating skills.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    At one time it was thuought to be better for the skaters conditioning and overall balance to be able to do their jumps and spins both clockwise and counterclockwise. I am not sure if this is the thinking by today's coaches.
    I haven't come across any coaches who teach skaters to jump and spin in both directions except as a novelty if the skater happens to show an aptitude for it. Not even 40 years ago when I was first starting.

A lot of coaches can do basic spins and single jumps in both directions because they have to demonstrate for their skaters who prefer each direction. This is especially true for coaches whose preferred direction is clockwise, since most of their students will rotate counterclockwise.

Skaters must also learn to do their edges, and cross-cuts clockwise and counterclockwise for their basic skating skills.
    Yes, this is required on the moves in the field tests in the US and similar tests in other countries. School figures also used to require all the turns on both feet, edges, directions.

Custom Title
    I've always been wondering about this ever since I watched figure skating.
    I know majority of skaters rotate counter clockwise when they are executing their jumps, and there are few who executes clockwise.

What's the reason for them to turn clockwise?
    Are certain jumps easier/harder when doing clockwise (compared to counter clockwise)?
    I know there are skaters like Caro, Wagner, and Weir who turns clockwise. Which skaters in the past, (before CoP era) turned clockwise?
    Sarah Hughes, Alissa Czisny (pre and post COP).

Actually, John Curry USED to spin clockwise and jump counterclockwise before going to work with Carlo Fassi. Carlo made him relearn his spins CCW and it magically made his (few) triples more consistent.

It's such a b**** being a CW skater on a busy FS session because all your element set ups are exactly opposite everyone else and coaches who teach their more basic students in corners tend to choose the CW Lutz corner because "no one uses them" which is VERY annoying. Having been in rinks for the most part of my life, I've typically been around very few other CW skaters, although two of my closest skating friends are also both CW skaters.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3