Thread: Denney/Coughlin withdraw from Worlds team

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Custom Title

0 Not allowed!

Denney/Coughlin withdraw from Worlds team

Just announced on IceNetwork. Scimeca/Knierim to replace them; Scimeca apparently is recovered from 4CC injury.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not very happy; D&C were the best chance the US has to have 2 pairs at Olympics. I wonder whether Z&B will go to London, given that S&K withdrew almost without warning at 4CC's, in case they do the something similar at Worlds?

Custom Title

0 Not allowed!
    Even with D/C out, chances are excellent we'll still hold on to 2 pairs slots for Sochi. (See discussion in previous thread on the U.S. Nationals page: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-Entries/page2.)

I respect D/C for making this decision (and quickly, too). His injury was serious, and he needs time to recover.

My main concern now is Scimeca's status. I hope she really is recovered--otherwise, it'd be better for Zhang/Bartholomay to compete. As long as she's okay, though, this will be great experience for her and Knierim.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm not very happy; D&C were the best chance the US has to have 2 pairs at Olympics. I wonder whether Z&B will go to London, given that S&K withdrew almost without warning at 4CC's, in case they do the something similar at Worlds?
    Given the low number of pairs at Worlds, I think 2 spots is practically a guarantee. The requirement for two spots is 28. Both pairs would have to anchor the bottom of the rankings.

0 Not allowed!
    This is true. But it's the first Worlds for both pairs, whether K&S or Z&B competes; C&S have never been to Worlds.

In any case, I hope whoever skates does a good job and qualifies for GP assignments.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Two spots is but a lock but three is doubtful. Ahead of both teams probably are the Germans, 3 Russian team, 2 Canadian teams, the Italians, Pang and Tong and or Sui and H and a french team. I would not have sent K and S - they didn't compete at 4ccs and they waren't that much better than Z and B at nationals. the truth of the matter is injured or not they will mask it to go as this is a chance of alifetime for them.

Outdated Old Dinosaur

0 Not allowed!
    Not that I'm wishing ill luck or ill health to anyone, but I'd love for Z/B to make their first trip to Worlds, for no other reason than I'd get to see them compete again.

0 Not allowed!
    Nobody expect US pairs to score high enough to secure three spots. If it ever happens, it's completely unexpected. The last time I remember it happening was in 2002, for the 2003 Worlds.

the US didn't even get 3 the time that I&B finished in fourth place after the 2006 Olympics. Hinzman & Parchem finished in 11th or 12.