Thread: Denney/Coughlin withdraw from Worlds team

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Denney/Coughlin withdraw from Worlds team

Just announced on IceNetwork. Scimeca/Knierim to replace them; Scimeca apparently is recovered from 4CC injury.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm not very happy; D&C were the best chance the US has to have 2 pairs at Olympics. I wonder whether Z&B will go to London, given that S&K withdrew almost without warning at 4CC's, in case they do the something similar at Worlds?

Custom Title
    Even with D/C out, chances are excellent we'll still hold on to 2 pairs slots for Sochi. (See discussion in previous thread on the U.S. Nationals page: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-Entries/page2.)

I respect D/C for making this decision (and quickly, too). His injury was serious, and he needs time to recover.

My main concern now is Scimeca's status. I hope she really is recovered--otherwise, it'd be better for Zhang/Bartholomay to compete. As long as she's okay, though, this will be great experience for her and Knierim.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I'm not very happy; D&C were the best chance the US has to have 2 pairs at Olympics. I wonder whether Z&B will go to London, given that S&K withdrew almost without warning at 4CC's, in case they do the something similar at Worlds?
    Given the low number of pairs at Worlds, I think 2 spots is practically a guarantee. The requirement for two spots is 28. Both pairs would have to anchor the bottom of the rankings.

This is true. But it's the first Worlds for both pairs, whether K&S or Z&B competes; C&S have never been to Worlds.

In any case, I hope whoever skates does a good job and qualifies for GP assignments.

Custom Title
    Two spots is but a lock but three is doubtful. Ahead of both teams probably are the Germans, 3 Russian team, 2 Canadian teams, the Italians, Pang and Tong and or Sui and H and a french team. I would not have sent K and S - they didn't compete at 4ccs and they waren't that much better than Z and B at nationals. the truth of the matter is injured or not they will mask it to go as this is a chance of alifetime for them.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Not that I'm wishing ill luck or ill health to anyone, but I'd love for Z/B to make their first trip to Worlds, for no other reason than I'd get to see them compete again.

Nobody expect US pairs to score high enough to secure three spots. If it ever happens, it's completely unexpected. The last time I remember it happening was in 2002, for the 2003 Worlds.

the US didn't even get 3 the time that I&B finished in fourth place after the 2006 Olympics. Hinzman & Parchem finished in 11th or 12.