News Brubaker & Davis form new pair partnership | Golden Skate

News Brubaker & Davis form new pair partnership

KKonas

Medalist
According to icenetwork.com Rockne Brubaker and Lindsay Davis form new pair partnership and plan on training in Canton, MI.

tulosai

Record Breaker
For all that was said here about the number of partners Davis has had she at least sounds VERY level headed to me in her remarks about wanting to grow with a partner and thinking that only really starts to happen after 2 years. I guess eventually we will see if it was lip service but I hope not and I wish them all the success in the world- especially him :)

icebeauty

On the Ice
YAY! it's too early to speculate about anything, but at least height and on-ice presence won't be in issue...I'm keeping my fingers crossed that their first season together will be a solid one (it helps that both of them have had years of pairs experience). i think both of them understand the value of being able to have a long-lasting pairs partner and that they can realize their full potential as a team for many more seasons to come, and i hope they do.
Lindsay appears to be a solid female pairs skater, and we all know how great Rockne is, so if the tryout was so positive for both of them, this can be a very promising partnership. keeping my fingers crossed!

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Yes. Johnny Johns and Marina Zoueva.

I'm glad Rockne has found a new partner so soon. Look forward to seeing how it works out.

noskates

Record Breaker
I just hope they stay together for at least 2 years. Rockne is getting a little long in the tooth and this may be his last chance. Good news!

goldseal11

Rinkside
I have heard from FSU that Rockne is having funding problems......Candidly it's annoying. People are saying donate for Rockne to New England Amateur figure skating, His father is a Doctor. I believe that family should be able to fund skating. After all I know parents that really sacrifice their retirement to make ends meet.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I have heard from FSU that Rockne is having funding problems......Candidly it's annoying. People are saying donate for Rockne to New England Amateur figure skating, His father is a Doctor. I believe that family should be able to fund skating. After all I know parents that really sacrifice their retirement to make ends meet.

Rockne's father being a doctor doesn't mean his father has to fund the skating. Rockne is almost 27 years old. His parents might help, but there's no guarantee they'll fully fund his training.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Rockne's father being a doctor doesn't mean his father has to fund the skating. Rockne is almost 27 years old. His parents might help, but there's no guarantee they'll fully fund his training.

This. I am 27 and my parents are upper middle class but no longer give me a dime- and I don't think they should have to or be expected to in any way whatsoever, no matter what my career is/would be.

noskates

Record Breaker
Maybe his parents are tired of funding his skating. He's always seemed to have the potential of being a great pairs skater but never has quite pulled it off - probably due to not staying with a partner long enough to really gel!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
k
Okay, I thought he wasn't that young. I am not sure what Rockne's situation is. Is this really just an attempt to go to the Olympics and then he will retire and try to use his skating to make a living or go to school? Does he have any career training? I am not sure it is his parents responsibility or society's responsibility to sponsor his dream - not to be mean. He has had a long run at skating. Maybe I was raised you have to work hard and sometimes life isn't glamourous. I didn't go on the summer trips or even road trips that a lot of my friends and relatives did. I worked three low paying jobs to raise money for school so my student loan would be small or non existent. It meant I don't have the memories of Europe, Mexico or China. I truly wonder if Rockne really intends to skate to 2018 when he will be like 32 years old? His parents have a right to save for their future too; skating is a very expensive sport and not a lot of payback except for the very few. Sometimes we can't live the dream forever. Is he the new Baldwin minus the deep pockets?

If he stay healthy, yes he can skate when he's 32 years old. Shen/Zhao won the Olympic gold when over 30 IIRC and Todd Sand was 34 (if not older?) when he retired.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Very glad to know he has found the new partner. Best of luck to this new pair team! :)

Off topic and my apology in advance if this has been mentioned elsewhere already, but icenetwork.com news on Feb 13 says that Rockne is engaged to Stefania Berton, who's won the pairs bronze medal at the recent Euro! :hb:
My heartfelt congratulations to both Stefania and Rockne!!! :yay::party::party2:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
If he stay healthy, yes he can skate when he's 32 years old. Shen/Zhao won the Olympic gold when over 30 IIRC and Todd Sand was 34 (if not older?) when he retired.
Yes, Zhao was 36 when they won the OGM and Shen was 31. There are other examples, too - Petrova/Tikhonov retired when he was 35, Pang/Tong and Robin Szolkowy are all 33 and assuming they will retire post-Sochi, they will be 34 when they retire, Yuko Kavaguti is also in her 30s, and Aliona Savchenko will be by the time of the Olympics. For that matter, Lindsay's previous partner was of course Mark Ladwig, who is 32 years old.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Rockne & Lindsay on their new pairing. Hope it works out well for both of them in the long run. Also very happy for Rockne's engagement news. :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
More power to them if they can skate into their 30's but one wonders if they don't "make it" how do they support themselves and their families or maybe their families support them? It will be interesting though what his intentions are. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe he can get a job at the GAP or Abercombie and Fitch (I hear they pay more if you fit their model physique and go shirtless) there are ways of funding your skating while still skating. No one said it would be easy. I think Lesley hawker from Canada worked as a waitress.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Maybe his parents are tired of funding his skating. He's always seemed to have the potential of being a great pairs skater but never has quite pulled it off - probably due to not staying with a partner long enough to really gel!

I wonder if his partners breaking up with him had anything to do with him having to hold down a full-time job while skating (I'm not sure if that's in the article but someone said that on FSU). Maybe they had trouble working with his schedule, or felt like he didn't have enough time to devote to training.. with them being in high school they probably didn't really get what it was like to skate and work at the same time.. just a thought.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Great news for Rockne! Wishing both Rockne & Lindsay good luck in their partnership!

mskater93

Record Breaker
His funding woes are mentioned in passing in the article. He's always worked to pay for his skating. His brother is ALSO a skater, so there's only so much to go around no matter what career his parents have followed...Keauna's break up had to do with her outgrowing pairs (literally)...