Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: News Brubaker & Davis form new pair partnership

Congrats to Rockne & Lindsay on their new pairing. Hope it works out well for both of them in the long run. Also very happy for Rockne's engagement news.

Custom Title
    More power to them if they can skate into their 30's but one wonders if they don't "make it" how do they support themselves and their families or maybe their families support them? It will be interesting though what his intentions are. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe he can get a job at the GAP or Abercombie and Fitch (I hear they pay more if you fit their model physique and go shirtless) there are ways of funding your skating while still skating. No one said it would be easy. I think Lesley hawker from Canada worked as a waitress.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Maybe his parents are tired of funding his skating. He's always seemed to have the potential of being a great pairs skater but never has quite pulled it off - probably due to not staying with a partner long enough to really gel!
    I wonder if his partners breaking up with him had anything to do with him having to hold down a full-time job while skating (I'm not sure if that's in the article but someone said that on FSU). Maybe they had trouble working with his schedule, or felt like he didn't have enough time to devote to training.. with them being in high school they probably didn't really get what it was like to skate and work at the same time.. just a thought.

Great news for Rockne! Wishing both Rockne & Lindsay good luck in their partnership!

His funding woes are mentioned in passing in the article. He's always worked to pay for his skating. His brother is ALSO a skater, so there's only so much to go around no matter what career his parents have followed...Keauna's break up had to do with her outgrowing pairs (literally)...

Rinkside
    Well this most likely is a one and done for Davis and Rockne. He is getting Married, Davis won't be able to keep the conditioning and Honestly I don't think their personalities are a fit. If you saw Davis at Nationals she wasn't the most pleasant person. I don't think their personalities are compatible. Yup one and done.

Most skaters work to pay for skating. So Rockne is not different. I don't think it's good practice to be complaining about money. Many skaters are in a worse situation and you do not hear them.

Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldseal11 View Post
    Well this most likely is a one and done for Davis and Rockne. He is getting Married, Davis won't be able to keep the conditioning and Honestly I don't think their personalities are a fit. If you saw Davis at Nationals she wasn't the most pleasant person. I don't think their personalities are compatible. Yup one and done.

Most skaters work to pay for skating. So Rockne is not different. I don't think it's good practice to be complaining about money. Many skaters are in a worse situation and you do not hear them.
    I'd seen in a few places that Davis was sick at Nationals. I'd be unpleasant if I was sick.

Quote Originally Posted by goldseal11 View Post

Obviously, no skater has ever been able to skate while married.

I think it's too soon to crown them future champions, but time will tell if this is a good partnership or not. You've offered no reason beyond "he's getting married and I don't like her" as to why they shouldn't succeed - really, that's not very persuasive.

Many skaters have mentioned financial difficulties over the years. For instance, we know that Patrick Chan has found it hard at times to fund his skating, even after he became World Champion. I'll admit I was critical at the time of some of his comments, as were others here; but now when I think about it, why is it wrong for skaters to discuss the challenges they face, whether financial or otherwise? It's part of their life, and sometimes knocks promising skaters out of the sport. Why pretend it's not an issue?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    If skaters don't tell people they need some help, there's less chance they'll get any.

That would be particularly so for someone at World Champion level, where you tend to think that shows & endorsements, not to mention prizes for winning, would help with training expenses. A lot of people don't know how ruinously expensive skating can be at the elite level (although anyone interested enough to post on a fan forum probably knows.)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Obviously, no skater has ever been able to skate while married.

I think it's too soon to crown them future champions, but time will tell if this is a good partnership or not. You've offered no reason beyond "he's getting married and I don't like her" as to why they shouldn't succeed - really, that's not very persuasive.

Many skaters have mentioned financial difficulties over the years. For instance, we know that Patrick Chan has found it hard at times to fund his skating, even after he became World Champion. I'll admit I was critical at the time of some of his comments, as were others here; but now when I think about it, why is it wrong for skaters to discuss the challenges they face, whether financial or otherwise? It's part of their life, and sometimes knocks promising skaters out of the sport. Why pretend it's not an issue?
    Patrick has had trouble funding his skating? I never knew that. I always thought he was from a wealthy family.

Custom Title
    Plenty of top champions as well as lower tier skaters in the US alone have applied for and gotten from sponsors, benefactors (who often wish to remain anonymous) family, hometowns, and of course USFS's Memorial Fund. Peggy Fleming's family was always struggling, even before her father passes away. Her mom had several younger daughters to raise. Without the Memorial Fund and the generosity of the Broadmoor where she lived and trained she would never have made it. Nevertheless, she still had no choice but to retire after '68 to turn pro and support her family. (She's hinted at times that she might have continued otherwise) Scott Hamilton came up through similar circumstances. Todd Eldrede's parents mortgaged their house at least twice and his town raised money alongside them before he won Worlds.

It's perfectly fair for him to ask for help. The worst that can happen iis he'll be told no. None of us has to fund him, so our opinions are thoroughly irrelevant.

He's one of the most experienced male pairs skaters in the US. He's had the misfortune to have two partners leave him in the lurch to deal with their own personal issues. None of which was his fault. I say give him all the support available. Quality male pair skaters are hard to come by in our country.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Patrick has had trouble funding his skating? I never knew that. I always thought he was from a wealthy family.
    I believe they are financially comfortable but by no means wealthy, and his training and associated costs are very expensive - six figures a year for sure.

Custom Title
    Another point regarding older skaters like Rockne or anyone else in their 20's and up is the age of their parents. They have to think about retirement coming around the corner. Something else that's not cheap and can't be planned or saved for overnight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2