News Brubaker & Davis form new pair partnership | Page 2 | Golden Skate

News Brubaker & Davis form new pair partnership

goldseal11

Rinkside
Well this most likely is a one and done for Davis and Rockne. He is getting Married, Davis won't be able to keep the conditioning and Honestly I don't think their personalities are a fit. If you saw Davis at Nationals she wasn't the most pleasant person. I don't think their personalities are compatible. Yup one and done.

Most skaters work to pay for skating. So Rockne is not different. I don't think it's good practice to be complaining about money. Many skaters are in a worse situation and you do not hear them.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Well this most likely is a one and done for Davis and Rockne. He is getting Married, Davis won't be able to keep the conditioning and Honestly I don't think their personalities are a fit. If you saw Davis at Nationals she wasn't the most pleasant person. I don't think their personalities are compatible. Yup one and done.

Most skaters work to pay for skating. So Rockne is not different. I don't think it's good practice to be complaining about money. Many skaters are in a worse situation and you do not hear them.

I'd seen in a few places that Davis was sick at Nationals. I'd be unpleasant if I was sick.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

Obviously, no skater has ever been able to skate while married. :sarcasm:

I think it's too soon to crown them future champions, but time will tell if this is a good partnership or not. You've offered no reason beyond "he's getting married and I don't like her" as to why they shouldn't succeed - really, that's not very persuasive.

Many skaters have mentioned financial difficulties over the years. For instance, we know that Patrick Chan has found it hard at times to fund his skating, even after he became World Champion. I'll admit I was critical at the time of some of his comments, as were others here; but now when I think about it, why is it wrong for skaters to discuss the challenges they face, whether financial or otherwise? It's part of their life, and sometimes knocks promising skaters out of the sport. Why pretend it's not an issue?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If skaters don't tell people they need some help, there's less chance they'll get any.

That would be particularly so for someone at World Champion level, where you tend to think that shows & endorsements, not to mention prizes for winning, would help with training expenses. A lot of people don't know how ruinously expensive skating can be at the elite level (although anyone interested enough to post on a fan forum probably knows.)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Obviously, no skater has ever been able to skate while married. :sarcasm:

I think it's too soon to crown them future champions, but time will tell if this is a good partnership or not. You've offered no reason beyond "he's getting married and I don't like her" as to why they shouldn't succeed - really, that's not very persuasive.

Many skaters have mentioned financial difficulties over the years. For instance, we know that Patrick Chan has found it hard at times to fund his skating, even after he became World Champion. I'll admit I was critical at the time of some of his comments, as were others here; but now when I think about it, why is it wrong for skaters to discuss the challenges they face, whether financial or otherwise? It's part of their life, and sometimes knocks promising skaters out of the sport. Why pretend it's not an issue?

Patrick has had trouble funding his skating? I never knew that. I always thought he was from a wealthy family.

jcoates

Medalist
Plenty of top champions as well as lower tier skaters in the US alone have applied for and gotten from sponsors, benefactors (who often wish to remain anonymous) family, hometowns, and of course USFS's Memorial Fund. Peggy Fleming's family was always struggling, even before her father passes away. Her mom had several younger daughters to raise. Without the Memorial Fund and the generosity of the Broadmoor where she lived and trained she would never have made it. Nevertheless, she still had no choice but to retire after '68 to turn pro and support her family. (She's hinted at times that she might have continued otherwise) Scott Hamilton came up through similar circumstances. Todd Eldrede's parents mortgaged their house at least twice and his town raised money alongside them before he won Worlds.

It's perfectly fair for him to ask for help. The worst that can happen iis he'll be told no. None of us has to fund him, so our opinions are thoroughly irrelevant.

He's one of the most experienced male pairs skaters in the US. He's had the misfortune to have two partners leave him in the lurch to deal with their own personal issues. None of which was his fault. I say give him all the support available. Quality male pair skaters are hard to come by in our country.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Patrick has had trouble funding his skating? I never knew that. I always thought he was from a wealthy family.
I believe they are financially comfortable but by no means wealthy, and his training and associated costs are very expensive - six figures a year for sure.

jcoates

Medalist
Another point regarding older skaters like Rockne or anyone else in their 20's and up is the age of their parents. They have to think about retirement coming around the corner. Something else that's not cheap and can't be planned or saved for overnight.