Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Should Russia select Leonova or Gosviani for Worlds?

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,719

    Should Russia select Leonova or Gosviani for Worlds?

    I've always believed that Leonova was the right choice for the 3rd sport at this years world championships. She has far more international experience and much greater potential for breaking into the top 10. She also won the silver medal at last years world championships. Whilst Gosviani has great potential, she is also very inconsistent at the moment. By selecting Leonova therefore, Russia would maximise its chances of retaining its 3 spots for next years home Olympics, and that has to be the top priority.

    Hopefully, now that Leonova has just won the Russia Cup Final (with Gosviani 3rd) and looks as though she is getting back in to form, she will now be selected.
    Last edited by Mao88; 02-20-2013 at 08:17 PM.

  2. #2
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    I've always believed that Leonova was the right choice for the 3rd sport at this years world championships. She has far more international experience and much greater potential for breaking into the top 10. She also won the silver medal at last years world championships. Whilst Gosviani has great potential, she is also very inconsistent at the moment. By selecting Leonova therefore, Russia would maximise its chances of retaining its 3 spots for next years home Olympics, and that has to be the top priority.

    Hopefully, now that Leonova has just won the Russia Cup Final (with Gosviani 3rd) and looks as though she is getting back in form, she will now be selected.
    While I was not that impressed with Leonova at her Russian Cup Final performance, I'm fine with sending her. I did like Gosviani's performance better, but looking at her TES from the FS, me thinks it would be good to go ahead and stick to Leonova.

    Honestly I think that Liza and Adelina can do the job of keeping three spots pretty easily.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,509
    I wouldn't want to make that decision. Leonova's performances at Russian Cup weren't earthshakingly good and her previous performances this season have been really bad. Meh!

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,547
    For me it's an easy decision: Leonova. The other two ladies are great but I think it would be good to have a skater who has actually been at Worlds before because Adelina and Liza have not been tested on the biggest stage, whereas Alena met the moment last year.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    While I was not that impressed with Leonova at her Russian Cup Final performance, I'm fine with sending her. I did like Gosviani's performance better, but looking at her TES from the FS, me thinks it would be good to go ahead and stick to Leonova.

    Honestly I think that Liza and Adelina can do the job of keeping three spots pretty easily.
    Pretty much. I doubt the third skater matters all that much in the grand scheme of things. Next year, though......

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,509
    Here are Leonova's jumps:

    3t+3t<< (-0.98), 3f (-1.40), 2a (-0.5)

    3t (-1.40), 3lo, 3ze+2t (-0.84), 3f+2t (-0.70), 3s+2t (-0.70), 3f, 2a

    Two clean triples for the entire competition? I'd send Gosviani, as she did a decent job at Euros.

  7. #7
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    I'd send Gosviani so Leonova knows she better get her stuff together next season, if she wants to go to the Olympics.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,610
    They're both Kind of irrelevant to Sochi and 2013 worlds compared to tuktamisheva and sotnikova and then lipnitskaya probably. There's no reason To punish leonova or act like she needs to get her stuff together - she's irrelevant. Strategically it might work better for tuktamisheva and sotnikova at worlds if leonova wasn't there at all. There the number 1 and 2 skaters and why have the world silver medalist around at all Getting attention when her future is so in doubt.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    100
    Leonova has won a world medal for Russia, and is the REIGNING SILVER MEDALIST! The year prior, she was 4th. It appears she has demonstrated the ability to peak for World Competition two years in a row.

    She has earned the benefit of the doubt by virtue of her very high placements at the last two World Championships in a field that has included all the Japanese skaters, the top Americans, the Finnish skaters, etc. etc. etc.

    A similar situation happended to Slutskaya in 1999 - she was the reigning World medalist and did not even make the Russian team. We all know what happened after that - she came back and was better than ever. However, is this the way to handle a skater like Leonova? As a world Silver medalist, the RSF should try to nurture her to a GOLD medal. It seems thay have left her to battle with the younger skaters. Weird.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,547
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    They're both Kind of irrelevant to Sochi and 2013 worlds compared to tuktamisheva and sotnikova and then lipnitskaya probably. There's no reason To punish leonova or act like she needs to get her stuff together - she's irrelevant. Strategically it might work better for tuktamisheva and sotnikova at worlds if leonova wasn't there at all. There the number 1 and 2 skaters and why have the world silver medalist around at all Getting attention when her future is so in doubt.
    I agree that Leonova will be irrelevant next year but by sending her Russia has 3 skaters with a realistic shot at the top 10, so if for some reason Adelina or Liza bomb Alena may be able to skate well enough to earn Russia 3 places for Sochi. Gosviani has almost no shot at the top 10 nor is she going to make the Sochi team so it seems completely pointless to send her.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,636
    I see your point. I would like Leonova to go out with a good skate. Then next year see Lipinskaya, Tuktamisheva and Sotnikova show what they are fully capable of doing.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Boi View Post
    Leonova has won a world medal for Russia, and is the REIGNING SILVER MEDALIST! The year prior, she was 4th. It appears she has demonstrated the ability to peak for World Competition two years in a row.

    She has earned the benefit of the doubt by virtue of her very high placements at the last two World Championships in a field that has included all the Japanese skaters, the top Americans, the Finnish skaters, etc. etc. etc.

    A similar situation happended to Slutskaya in 1999 - she was the reigning World medalist and did not even make the Russian team. We all know what happened after that - she came back and was better than ever. However, is this the way to handle a skater like Leonova? As a world Silver medalist, the RSF should try to nurture her to a GOLD medal. It seems thay have left her to battle with the younger skaters. Weird.
    The first part makes sense but she is not slutskaya. Tuktamisheva and sotnikova are much better than leonova and no one not even butyrskaya was better than slutskaya. It's just odd how people say leonova is just like slutskaya and the situation are the same. It's really not close.

    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I agree that Leonova will be irrelevant next year but by sending her Russia has 3 skaters with a realistic shot at the top 10, so if for some reason Adelina or Liza bomb Alena may be able to skate well enough to earn Russia 3 places for Sochi. Gosviani has almost no shot at the top 10 nor is she going to make the Sochi team so it seems completely pointless to send her.
    Sure If leonova skates well she can be in the top 10 and there could be three top 10 skaters but leonova is actually most likely to bomb and if she bombs the sp say her fs doesn't have the jumps to make a great comeback unlike if Liza or Adelina bombed the sp.

  13. #13
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    636
    I don't know, what I know is I'd rather watch Gosviani perform.

  14. #14
    Off the ice Buttercup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Left field
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'd send Gosviani so Leonova knows she better get her stuff together next season, if she wants to go to the Olympics.
    Do you think Leonova is not already aware of this?

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    866
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I don't know, what I know is I'd rather watch Gosviani perform.
    So do I. at least she can land the jumps. I like how balletic she looks on the ice, beautiful to watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •