Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would Dick Button's "firsts" have been ratified today?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I didn't say that Sonja Henie could pass today's tests. She didn't have the double jumps. There was a big shift in jump content from before to after WWII. Barbara Ann Scott could have passed today's US tests.
    ?????I don't think I said you said Sonja could pass today's test, by implication or otherwise.

I should have specified that it was Henie's axel technique that was not good. They were badly pre rotated. Still it goes without saying she was a marvel. Nice to see a sit spin done properly as shown in the vid that was posted.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Nice to see a sit spin done properly as shown in the vid that was posted.
    I was so surprised to see that as well. I can't remember the last time I've seen a sit spin like that under CoP. Most skaters will force their spine to their thighs in their "sit spins." Does a sit spin where your spine is upright not garner as many points as a pancake spin?

Skaters like Button, Henie and Owen weren't just talented they were gifted. A cut above. And fierce competitors! I'm sure if they had been brought up with modern equipment (meaning skates) and with today's training standards all 3 would be right up there battling it out with the Chans, Kims, and Asadas respectively. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is a pretty good Lutz. Note that she did her Lutz clockwise, but all her other jumps and spins were counterclockwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjnfkEOpsE#t=0m23s
    Watching this reminds me of something Dick Button once said about Sonja Henie 'she tippy toed into our hearts' or something along those lines. I have to say - Sonja had tremendous speed across the ice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2