Russian Team | Golden Skate

Russian Team

seniorita

Record Breaker
Russian Federation announced their team for Worlds

Ladies: Adelina Sotnikova, Elisaveta Tuktamisheva, Alena Leonova

Men: Maxim Kovtun

Ice Dance: Ekaterina Bobrova - Dmitri Soloviev, Elena Ilinykh - Nikita Katsalapov, Ekaterina Riazanova - Ilia Tkachenko

Pairs: Tatiana Volosozhar / Maxim Trankov, Vera Bazarova / Yuri Larionov, Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Poor Maxim. He could be the world junior champion but now he is under such a big responsibility. But I remember Leonova made it before in 2009 when she earned two spots for Vancouver, with lesser hope. And also good luck to Leonova! Hope she skates well there.

Country
Russia
Poor Maxim. He could be the world junior champion but now he is under such a big responsibility. But I remember Leonova made it before in 2009 when she earned two spots for Vancouver, with lesser hope. And also good luck to Leonova! Hope she skates well there.
This "poor boy" had this season two JGP Events - VI and VII, without interval (one day at home after first event and go to airport to second event), and won both.

So good luck, Maxim! You can!

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kovtun is the future and did skate well at Euros while Menshov is 30 and has been inconsistent in the past. I would have preferred it if Kovtun had competed at the Russian Cup event though just to make things more clear-cut/fair. The way he's been skating this season, I bet he would have beaten Menshov comfortably anyways.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Isn't Menshov's 3a hit or miss? I know he has a good 4t, but so does Kovtun, but Kovtun also has a rock solid 3a. Both 3a he did in his FS at Euros were in the 2nd half of the program!! I just hope there isn't too much pressure on him, he's only 17 still..

gmyers

Record Breaker
Menshov's problem recently has been doubling lutz's after he would do quad triple and hen 3a but like most of the time in the past 3a was the problem but not so much in recent months. So it may have close either way because the past senior performances of Kovtun have all had some problems but nothing really bad and that's the same thing with menshov. They are basically equal except in total hype where kovtun is all like "he's the best, he's the future, he can get two spots!"

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Kovtun is also 13 YEARS YOUNGER! So yeah in terms of being the future that's a pretty big difference. Not like Menshov is a Plush type figure who'd be in the mix to medal anyways.

It was really unfair not to have Kovtun skate against Menshov at the Russian Cup final.

I feel sorry for Gosviani but I understand that Leonova can get higher PCS from an international judging panel. Still, I would have definitely sent Gosviani.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
It was really unfair not to have Kovtun skate against Menshov at the Russian Cup final.

I feel sorry for Gosviani but I understand that Leonova can get higher PCS from an international judging panel. Still, I would have definitely sent Gosviani.

I would have felt better if Kovtun had skated at the event too, just because if he won, people wouldn't be giving him such crap about not deserving to go. Does anyone know why he didn't compete? Was it in case he went to JW so he would not be exhausted for that? Kovtun has been very ON with his jumps this season, he did his job at Euros and easily beat Voronov there, I think he would have been able to hold off Menshov at Russian Cup without too much difficulty, and further, if the Fed really wants him to go, I'm sure the PCS could be applied in such a way that would make it easier for Kovtun to come out on top. But perhaps there was a legitimate reason why he could not compete.

I think Voronov and Menshov are going to WTT anyway, the icenetwork article made it sound like that was pretty much a done deal.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I'm happy for Leonova and hope she sees this as an opportunity and skates with her usual sparking personality and fighting spirit. I don't know why she has skated badly this season. But if she has serious problems with injuries or whatever I don't think the Russian federation would have chosen her. Maybe they think it's good for the other girls to have an experienced WC silver lady on the team. I'm sure she will encourage them and share her experiences. And if any of Liza or Adelina falters or has to WD I think Alena is going to stand up :)

Nikol is 16. Alena is 22. No one knows who has the best future as long as both are motivated and have the resources to continue.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Alena's comments do her no justice (see FSU forum). You would think that after barely making the world team she'd focus on the positive and try to emulate the success shown by the rest of her group. Instead she chooses to complain about food and accommodation while preparing for worlds!! Is she nuts? It's a three week stint at most maybe? Doesn't she not know that Nicol would give anything to be in her place? I know she has the right to say anything she wants to say but doesn't she see the bigger picture at all? Does she not know that this could be her last hurrah? Elena, Nicol, Julia will all be nipping at her heels in no time...not to mention the others I'm forgetting..

She doesn't seem to be a mature athlete at all, disappointing:no: