Russian Team | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Russian Team

tulosai

Record Breaker
Alena's comments do her no justice (see FSU forum). You would think that after barely making the world team she'd focus on the positive and try to emulate the success shown by the rest of her group. Instead she chooses to complain about food and accommodation while preparing for worlds!! Is she nuts? It's a three week stint at most maybe? Doesn't she not know that Nicol would give anything to be in her place? I know she has the right to say anything she wants to say but doesn't she see the bigger picture at all? Does she not know that this could be her last hurrah? Elena, Nicol, Julia will all be nipping at her heels in no time...not to mention the others I'm forgetting..

She doesn't seem to be a mature athlete at all, disappointing:no:

If I wanted to see the FSU forum I'd go there. Can you be more specific please?

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was so blasé ,a real nothing. Do you like going to the us? Not really. Why? The food and lodging. End of story.

Last edited:

DianaSelene

Medalist
If I wanted to see the FSU forum I'd go there. Can you be more specific please?

There was just an article some time ago during the grand prix (maybe in the US) when she complained that the athletes are fed poorly and there isn't much variety. She said she didn't like it. In general, whenever Leonova gives an interview, she often talks about the unimportant stuff instead of focusing on training. She complains A LOT. That is why some people question how she could possibly be successful this season when in her interviews she never sounds like she is trying to improve.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well she did improve so not sounding like it in an interview months ago is meaningless.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Leonova landed exactly two clean triples in her Russian Cup win, and that was for both SP and FS. I'd hardly call that 'improved'. If she skates like that at Worlds, she won't be in the top 10.

I agree that she should be far more concerned about her skating than her food and lodging. She comes across as a ditz.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Alena's comments do her no justice (see FSU forum). You would think that after barely making the world team she'd focus on the positive and try to emulate the success shown by the rest of her group. Instead she chooses to complain about food and accommodation while preparing for worlds!! Is she nuts?
PChan also chose to complain about "cow food" Sochi to which "their Russian bodies got used to with all the cigarettes they smoke. The "greasy greens" and lack of "organic chicken" is the reason of his fiasco in GPF. I don't see where anyone here or on any other forum is ranting about that. I myself brought the link with his quotes to sports.ru with its 550,000 users (half a mil is no a typo) and it stayed in "discussion" for 10 minutes or less. Then it was just gone and folks moved on to smth. more interesting than someone's miserable excuses. So, it's not Lenova's fault that some people got hurt too much by her words.

DianaSelene

Medalist
She was always landing 4 to 5 triples

please open your eyes and look at reality. As much as I like leonova, it is not true. She has not been landing four triples.the whole season. She has bombed every single comp except for Russian cup. There is no point in you repeating the same stuff all te time when that is not the way it is. Sheesh!

gmyers

Record Breaker
I am not saying leonova didnt do poorly but look at skate America. Triple toe, triple loop, triple lutz e,Triple flip, triple salchow. She showed ability in triples all season but couldn't do it well enough to medal in her gps. All triple ability was there. It was very sloppy but all in the protocols were triple after triple.

vera01

Final Flight
Are Russian skaters at US to train for 2013 Worlds? I know V/T are at US, but it seems like not all of the Russian skaters train at the same ice rink.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Are Russian skaters at US to train for 2013 Worlds? I know V/T are at US, but it seems like not all of the Russian skaters train at the same ice rink.

A lot of skaters who train in Russia and the US are in the US right know training for Worlds (Morozov's team is in the US). One of the advantages is that the skaters
do not have to deal with jet lag which can somewhat hinder their performance. It is not only the Russian skaters that are in the US, Anna and Luca who train in Milan
and the US are also training for Worlds in the US.

Let's talk -Thanks for the video of Vera and Yuri. They are looking very good given their recent coaching change.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
All team Russia is in the US now preparing for Worlds, except Bobrova/Solovjov. The rinks are "assigned" by coach I assume.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is a precarious team. Pairs and dance they should hold on to 3 teams for Oly year but in singles - oy. In the men it will be a struggle for Kovtun to earn two spots with so many good men think about it Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Chan might not podium, Brezina, Amodio, Verner, Mura, Joubert, Reynolds, two Americans, Ten, the Chinese. And in ladies a lot of pressure on Liza and Adeline. They will be tight even without or Korpi - i think the key will if both Russians beat the Americans then they will have their third spot.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I remember somebody mentioned the Olympic host country will get three spots automatically, and I believed that.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
She doesn't seem to be a mature athlete at all, disappointing:no:

Well, if she doesn't deliver at Worlds, maybe the Fed will not promote her any more and work to get Gosviani and Pogorilaya GP spots in the upcoming season instead of Leonova. I'm actually curious to see what happens with the Russian ladies regarding the GP next year, where Radionova isn't old enough for Sochi will she even compete on the real GP or wait another season? And Shelepen, Biryukova, Korobeynikova, and Leonova were disappointing this season, especially the first two though they were also injured. Pogorilaya had a great season and with her consistency they might want to get her out on GP to have as a strong backup for the Olympic team should one of Tuk, Sot, Lip (or Leonova) encounter problems/injuries/become headcases, and the same goes for Gosviani. By age they are both young enough to do JGP again though. Agafonova had no internationals and didn't even make Nationals but was 2nd at that Russian Cup event so maybe she'd get a host pick if Gosviani and/or Pogorilaya do JGP again.