Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Russian Team

Custom Title
    I am not saying leonova didnt do poorly but look at skate America. Triple toe, triple loop, triple lutz e,Triple flip, triple salchow. She showed ability in triples all season but couldn't do it well enough to medal in her gps. All triple ability was there. It was very sloppy but all in the protocols were triple after triple.

Banned
    BazLar praticing at Igor's rink (more likely): www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkPjXntUPdQ

Custom Title
    Are Russian skaters at US to train for 2013 Worlds? I know V/T are at US, but it seems like not all of the Russian skaters train at the same ice rink.

Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    Are Russian skaters at US to train for 2013 Worlds? I know V/T are at US, but it seems like not all of the Russian skaters train at the same ice rink.
    A lot of skaters who train in Russia and the US are in the US right know training for Worlds (Morozov's team is in the US). One of the advantages is that the skaters
    do not have to deal with jet lag which can somewhat hinder their performance. It is not only the Russian skaters that are in the US, Anna and Luca who train in Milan
    and the US are also training for Worlds in the US.

Let's talk -Thanks for the video of Vera and Yuri. They are looking very good given their recent coaching change.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vera01 View Post
    All team Russia is in the US now preparing for Worlds, except Bobrova/Solovjov. The rinks are "assigned" by coach I assume.

Custom Title
    This is a precarious team. Pairs and dance they should hold on to 3 teams for Oly year but in singles - oy. In the men it will be a struggle for Kovtun to earn two spots with so many good men think about it Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Chan might not podium, Brezina, Amodio, Verner, Mura, Joubert, Reynolds, two Americans, Ten, the Chinese. And in ladies a lot of pressure on Liza and Adeline. They will be tight even without or Korpi - i think the key will if both Russians beat the Americans then they will have their third spot.

Tripping on the Podium
    Oh, no Leonova please

Custom Title
    I remember somebody mentioned the Olympic host country will get three spots automatically, and I believed that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bramweld View Post
    She doesn't seem to be a mature athlete at all, disappointing
    Well, if she doesn't deliver at Worlds, maybe the Fed will not promote her any more and work to get Gosviani and Pogorilaya GP spots in the upcoming season instead of Leonova. I'm actually curious to see what happens with the Russian ladies regarding the GP next year, where Radionova isn't old enough for Sochi will she even compete on the real GP or wait another season? And Shelepen, Biryukova, Korobeynikova, and Leonova were disappointing this season, especially the first two though they were also injured. Pogorilaya had a great season and with her consistency they might want to get her out on GP to have as a strong backup for the Olympic team should one of Tuk, Sot, Lip (or Leonova) encounter problems/injuries/become headcases, and the same goes for Gosviani. By age they are both young enough to do JGP again though. Agafonova had no internationals and didn't even make Nationals but was 2nd at that Russian Cup event so maybe she'd get a host pick if Gosviani and/or Pogorilaya do JGP again.

Custom Title
    ^^ Word

Custom Title
    With the depth in Russia I really don't think Leonova will continue to get favors if she doesn't deliver the goods. There are just too many other strong skaters who can deliver more consistently to choose from. I had never heard of Gosviani or Pogorilaya before this season and then they wind up being 6th at Euros and 3rd at JW, not too shabby.

That being said I hope Alena can finally put out a good performance so she can end this very rough season on a better note. Plus if she does bomb I will be sad for Nikol not getting to go.

Banned

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    With the depth in Russia I really don't think Leonova will continue to get favors if she doesn't deliver the goods. There are just too many other strong skaters who can deliver more consistently to choose from. I had never heard of Gosviani or Pogorilaya before this season and then they wind up being 6th at Euros and 3rd at JW, not too shabby.

That being said I hope Alena can finally put out a good performance so she can end this very rough season on a better note. Plus if she does bomb I will be sad for Nikol not getting to go.
    She's not getting favors and basically gosviani got the favor being assigned to euros when she was not eligible. ANyway she earned her way to worlds and gosviani didn't and leonova is not like mao asada who can only rotate two triples and win an event. No leonova can rotate 4 or 5 and not even medal. She has to be perfect to medal and displayed all the ability to rotate 5 triples in the cup of russia final. So no favors leonova earned it and unlike mao or carolina can't rely on PCS.

Custom Title
    Leonova has been incredibly sloppy all season, which is why she hasn't won any international medals. She used to be so high spirited and vivacious on the ice, but now she looks as if she doesn't really want to be there; she skates without verve or spark. She's Russia's Mirai Nagasu.

Custom Title
    Let's hope she delivers at Worlds then. If she has another meltdown, with the depth of this field, she could wind up out of the top 12, which could mean trouble regarding GPs next season and would hurt her chances for making the Olympic team. At this point with Lipnitskaya coming back from her injury to skate so well at JW, Liza being so consistent with her jumps, and Adelina seeming to be on an upward trajectory, Leonova's chances to make the team probably aren't great anyways. And if Korobeynikova can get her jumps back then she's a lot better than Leonova IMO. Plus then there are wildcards like Gosviani and Pogo. Hoping Leonova can show some redemption here...I expect she'll be the lowest placing Russian lady but as long as she can skate well that could still correspond to a good score and finish.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast