Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Leonova and Kovtun get a chance to go to Worlds

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Objectively speaking, a clean Kovtun vs. a clean Menshov are likely to score about the same
    If both clean - Kovtun looks better.
    He had good progress from beginning of season.
    At early September his test skating was "falls from quad, arises and falls again".
    At early October (JGP Germany) he had stable enough 4T.
    At Euro (2nd half of January) he was the only skater who landed 4T+3T both in SP and FS. None of medalists did not land 4+3 both in SP and FS, Kovtun did.
    His score would be about 4.5 higher if he wouldn't do the mistake - 4th combo (3S+2T), making 3S instead.

Kovtun has a chance to land 4S - he lands it at practice and tried at Nationals (where he tripled it). His progress in season gives us a hope that at March he may land 4S.
    Menshov did not try 4S at any competition.

Slightly OT but Kovtun reminds me so much of Ilia Kulik.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Um....

No.

Custom Title
    he doesnt remind me of anyone yet! Not based on skating or appearence. He is just himself.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    More like Boitano for me. Body type and upright jumping style, and the stiffness that instead of looking awkward is kind of regal. Physically he's built a lot like Lysacek though before Lysacek got reallyyy tall. I worry about Kovtun growing more though, he's so long limbed and lanky now, I wonder if he will grow to be well over 6 feet. Not that that necessarily would be bad news for his jumps, just must guys in figure skating are pretty short.

Custom Title
    Also OT but facially, Kovtun reminds me of Jack Gleeson, the actor who plays Joffrey Baratheon on Game of Thrones.

Don't see the Kulik/Boitano resemblance at all, in terms of looks or style.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by evangeline View Post
    Also OT but facially, Kovtun reminds me of Jack Gleeson, the actor who plays Joffrey Baratheon on Game of Thrones.
    Dig up the bones, but leave the soul alone.

Sorry, got geeky for a moment.

Custom Title
    I don't see the Kulik reference unless his costumer puts him in giraffe pleather? As for Boitano - nope no dramatic artistic stares while doing spread eagles. lol. I think he is still developing.

Banned
    Kovtun said he would have never forgiven himsef if someone else went to Worlds and failed to get the 2nd spot for Russia. He would regret that he even didn't try to get 2nd spot to perform at home Olympics, because with one spot no one would go except Plu. Now everything depends on him personally: www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/9212.html

Custom Title
    That makes it sound like where he went was up to him. Worlds or jr worlds and he chose senior worlds because he wants two spots.

Well, maybe it was in a sense? If he'd backed out from contention, and insisted on going to Junior Worlds' instead?

Custom Title
    That's true I was just thinking much more explicit.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    That makes it sound like where he went was up to him. Worlds or jr worlds and he chose senior worlds because he wants two spots.
    What a joke if that's the case.

I don't see any other countries sending their 5th placed at Nationals over their 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

I don't see any other countries sending their 5th placed at Nationals over their 2nd, 3rd or 4th.
    they did test skates even Kovtun has his own test skates along with the others
    No sure bet 2-5th skaters and all are equal footing, so I think they are taking the risk anyways

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

Perhaps because the 2nd 3rd and 4th placed skaters are less than overwhelming?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast