Leonova and Kovtun get a chance to go to Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Leonova and Kovtun get a chance to go to Worlds

LRK

Record Breaker
Well, maybe it was in a sense? If he'd backed out from contention, and insisted on going to Junior Worlds' instead?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That makes it sound like where he went was up to him. Worlds or jr worlds and he chose senior worlds because he wants two spots.

What a joke if that's the case.

I don't see any other countries sending their 5th placed at Nationals over their 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

I don't see any other countries sending their 5th placed at Nationals over their 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

they did test skates even Kovtun has his own test skates along with the others
No sure bet 2-5th skaters and all are equal footing, so I think they are taking the risk anyways

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Perhaps because the 2nd 3rd and 4th placed skaters are less than overwhelming?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Bet the Fed aren't feeling so smart and shiny now, are they?

Poor Menshov. imagine sitting at home watching that.

I mean, Kovtun couldn't even beat Gachinski's total disaster SP score from last year. That's just sad.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I feel so bad for Kovtun! The expectations of the entire Russian federation are on him, plus Russia's hopes at the next Olympics. If he doesn't get two spots and Plushenko comes back, then Kovtun knows that he won't get to skate at the Olympics. That's just so much pressure, and he's so young! It's a lot to deal with at your first senior Worlds! I not even a fan of his, but I hope he bounces back in the free skate, just because I imagine he would feel like a total failure letting down his entire federation :( Poor guy.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I feel so bad for Kovtun! The expectations of the entire Russian federation are on him, plus Russia's hopes at the next Olympics. If he doesn't get two spots and Plushenko comes back, then Kovtun knows that he won't get to skate at the Olympics. That's just so much pressure, and he's so young! It's a lot to deal with at your first senior Worlds! I not even a fan of his, but I hope he bounces back in the free skate, just because I imagine he would feel like a total failure letting down his entire federation :( Poor guy.

He wont he scored a 65 in SP, lol
Poor Menshov :no: bet he's laughing at his Fed now.. I told you so !

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

So where was all this sympathy for Gachinski?

I think that's what's angering me most. Artur never got these concessions. No-one said about him "he's only seventeen" or "he's only eighteen" except fans who were poo-poohed for taking such an attitude.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I think that's what's angering me most. Artur never got these concessions. No-one said about him "he's only seventeen" or "he's only eighteen" except fans who were poo-poohed for taking such an attitude.

I think it's the fact that Gachinski got a medal so quickly and early in his career, so people aren't cutting him a break because he's been able to do better in the past.

Not that I agree with that logic of picking on skaters -- I'm not into doing that to anyone -- but just my logical assessment of the situation.

As I noted in the Ladies LP thread, I really think the Team Menshov voodoo dolls worked TOO well. Guys, you were only supposed to pick on Kovtun, not on the ladies. V/T get immunity for standing up for Menshov.

I do feel bad for Kovtun, in all seriousness.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I feel badly for Kovtun, but in reality, he's 9 points short of his personal best. I don't know what the heck the Russian federation was thinking. Even if he landed his quad, he still might not have even cracked 80. He's also benefited from many skaters crumbling in the short, so it's not like the gap is insurmountable.

It would royally suck to be a Russian man other than Plushenko at next year's nationals though. You'd have to think the Russian fed would send Plushenko no matter where he places, if they have no qualms about sending their #5 guy.

silverlake22

Record Breaker

The Fed was wrong to treat Gatchinski the way they did and would be wise to not make the same mistake twice. Kovtun honestly didn't have much to do with what went on regarding the Euros and Worlds teams. All he did was skate well at Euros, can't blame the kid for that. His getting sent to Euros in the first place was controversial but again, that was not Kovtun's decision, it was the fed. An 11th-20th place finish at Worlds as a 17 year old in such a deep field is not that big of an upset and definitely not a career crusher as long as the Fed does not harp on Kovtun for the outcome. He's not going to get labeled as a headcase for one not so great showing at his first World Championships when he was skating as a junior for most of the season anyway, but if Russia wants him to improve and do better in the future, they absolutely should not guilt trip him into thinking this is all his fault and he's unreliable and such a disappointment to his country because in the end, it was the fed that decided to send him, and you'd hate to see a lack of confidence ruin a shining young talent's career in it's infant stages...

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is the deal with Menshov anyways? He's a 30 year old skater who's never even made it to Worlds in his career even in the last few years when the Russian men have been down. Does that sound like someone who would have even made the top 12 in London?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What is the deal with Menshov anyways? He's a 30 year old skater who's never even made it to Worlds in his career even in the last few years when the Russian men have been down. Does that sound like someone who would have even made the top 12 in London?

He peaked late. Plus, as soon as he did, the Fed began screwing him over.

LRK

Record Breaker

So, a lot of people were gloating at Gachinski's discomfiture, is what you are saying? And you admired their conduct so much, that you are now happy to do the same to someone else?

Also, I think that Butterscotch's post was almost the first one expressing sympathy for Kovtun at that point - so I don't know what you mean by "all this sympathy" - unless you think that anyone expressing any sympathy for the kid is too much? Also, Kovtun is not the reigning World bronze medallist. (I have actually a theory for a Bronze Curse, but that is another matter... )